Nextbox 3 PVR playback issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Re: Nextbox 3 PVR playback issues

If I remember correctly from when I had an NB 3, when you set it to 1080p, it outputs something strange, like 480p. That may have changed, though. I returned the NB a couple of months ago.

jsicard
I've Been Here Awhile

Same issue here both video/audio black-outs - thanks to this thread, I at least have a temporary solution until cisco/rogers get their bugs fixed. Thank you contributors!!

nldk
I've Been Around

I too am experiencing playback gaps of one to two seconds.  If I rewind and play again the gap is gone.  Some programmes play fine others will give me two to four gaps in a row in quick succession.  I'm on my second box having returned the first one because of this reason.  The second one is no better.  Thinking of returning the box and getting a refund if I can.  Also how does one record the same programme week after week.  I've set the defaults but if I check scheduled recordings nothing shows up.  The old Atlanta Scientific box was much better.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is the box set at 1080p?  make sure you set it down to 1080i.. might fix the gap issues.

As for the series recording?

If you set it for a series, when you hit list, you should be able to go on there, and move to the right a few tabs over, there is a 'sheduled recordings' and should show your series there.

They will not show up on the guide itself even when looking ahead X many days.. usually will not show up till the day before or day of.. but as long as they are on the series ok, should record.

Neaner
I've Been Around

Thank you GDkitty, we also were having the problem with the playback gaps of one to two seconds.  We took our first unit back & the second did the same thing. Rogers was out today & could not find any problems. They suggested to return the 2nd box. I came upon your suggestion to change back to 1080i & it worked. Our unit was also periodically making a very high pitch noise. (May sound funny but my husband & I could not hear it. It only affected our daughter. It would send her running from the room. Younger people can hear higher frequencies which you lose the ability to hear after about 30 years of age.)  She had no complaints about the noise after we changed to 1080i tonight but it may take another day to know for sure.

Once again, thank you for your suggestion.

michael007
I've Been Around

We have two nextbox 3 units and both make that high pitched noise frequently. Wow, when that noise starts, I have to block my ears or leave the room. I'm in my 20's and others who are older do not hear it at all.

I'll unplug the unit from the back and then it'll be alright for a few days before the high pitched noise starts up again. I really wish Rogers would take these issues more seriously as I'm finding myself watching Apple TV more and more just because I know it won't make that high pitch noise or have playback issues.

Thanks for the suggestion for the 1080i setting! I'll give it a try 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The high pitched thing, is part of another issue, the 5.1 to PCM drop. A reboot is the only way to fix that currently.

If you are not running through a surround sound, best bet is to change the audio to OTHER might lessen the frequency of it happening

Randi1
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Nextbox 3 PVR playback blackout issues

For those who have had issues with intermittent blackout issues on digital playback from their Nextbox 3 PVR's, I want to tell you that I have just finished a conversation with high-level tech management at Rogers.

It was relayed to me that the Nextbox 3 does indeed have a resolution problem keeping up with 1080p. Why? Because Rogers broadcasts in 1080i, and not in 1080p. The reason for this is because the only way cable and satellite companies can deliver as many channels as they do, many of them in HD, is by compressing their video signals in an effort to squeeze more information into a crowded pipeline.

To fix this problem, you will need to change your Nextbox 3 settings from 1080p to 1080i.

You can find this under Settings>Appearance>TV Type.

While 1080p video is definitely preferable to 1080i, it’s also worth noting that on smaller screens, you probably won’t be able to notice a difference between the two. Generally speaking, you need a TV 42 inches or bigger in order to discern 1080i from 1080p. For fast-moving images, 1080p offers superior image quality that prevents the appearance of the screen “tearing” that can occur with 1080i. I own a 60 inch LED and the "tearing" of fast-moving objects in 1080i is definitely noticeable.

I would suggest that for watching TC, use 1080p. And for anything recorded on the PVR, switch to 1080i.

By the way, the person I talked to at Rogers told me that a memo went out regarding the 1080p issue to all tech people both on the road and call-in support quite a while ago. But I have yet to come across anyone who knows this information. As late as today, a different tech person I spoke to told me to return the box for another one, which prior to this call I had already done 3 times!

Once again, the Big Company has failed to adequately disseminate important information to both it's staff and more importantly, it's customers.

I hope this information helps.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thank you for posting this, on this thread.

many of us that help around here.. know that is the current fix for it.. it has been posted in most of the other threads on it.. but wasnt updated on this one.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Randi1:

I had an NB 3 for a few months, but returned it because of audio issues. Unless there's been a fix recently, setting it to 1080p actually produces 480p. I have a Samsung Smart TV, which briefly displays source resolution when choosing inputs. It always showed 480p when I experimented with 1080p.

As for cable channel resolutions, some HD channels are 720p, CBC HD being one. I agree a 1080p source, such as Blu-Ray, produces the best picture. Your display actually converts the incoming signal to its native resolution as necessary. If you're watching 1080i, for example, and you have a 1080p display, it has to deinterlace it to 1080p. If cable boxes actually ever work at 1080p, then there's a decision to make, which is where deinterlacing should be done. Typically, displays do a much better job than cable boxes, so that would be the best choice.