cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextbox 3.0 recording issue

sugajen
I've Been Here Awhile

I recently ugraded to a Nextbox 3.0 and am having trouble with recording anything.

I get the error " ................................................. will not be able to record due to limited space available on your PVR. Please click Manage Recordings below and remove some recordings in order to ensure there is enough space for this program". How can I wipe out the PVR?

I just got the box less than a week ago (haven't used it yet) and there are no recording on/or shown when I go to the "My Recordings" place.

I spent 2 hours with Rogers online, they had no suggestions and also disconnected me. Obviously they have no idea about any of equipment.

Please help

***Edited labels***

64 REPLIES 64

Re: Nextbox 3.0 recording issue

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ho19 wrote:

Is it possible to create a manual recording with a Nextbox 3.0? 

No, not at this time.  See previous posts in this thread on the topic.

user1759487
I've Been Here Awhile
This is very worry some! People are paying good money for what is supposed to be a "pvr"... all of a sudden the box decides what it'll record and won't record! Even recordings scheduled before this Rediculous update are now not recording! New shows set to record won't even record even if you sit on the chanel waiting for it to start! Oh and let's not forget they funny part! When it does start to record it's already been more than 5 minutes in some cases causing one to miss beginnings of any show!
Love how they haven't addressed this issue but are quick to give out netflix memberships! Where are the priorities

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@user1759487 Lately I've missed recording some shows scheduled as first run, or "new" and have had to find repeats to record because they weren't flagged as "new".  I don't think it's Rogers fault, but the third party that supplies the listings. Then again, this time of year there are a lot of repeats instead of new episodes too.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

We had a lot of shows set up for recording that didn't record because the networks at the last moment decided to put a repeat in, in or in some case, they put in a repeat and called it new, so we have been watching our schuling in the lists frequently, as well as going through the guide and see what we find and the good favourite - Anwhere TV app to work with your pvr tecordings and see the grids.

I would agree, a lot of this mess recently is changing timing of show schedule - we lost one because they changed it to one minute before; We caught it and started the recording, but then couldn't pick it up on On Demand because On Demand was down, so we watched it off the laptop.  Crazy and unacceptable, but other than the On Demand issue, This definitely appeared to be the networks and schedule provider.

Bruce

a310pilot
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey guys,

I was wondering what a fix would be for my Rogers Netbox 3.0 I got it recently and hadn't tried the PVR functionality until last week. I would schedule something and not get a chance to see if it was indeed recorded and saved. However, over the weekend I tried looking at my recorded shows, and nothing. I then schedule something to record and monitor, and nothing... nothing records. I get the message saying "Scheduled recording" etc and on the Guide, you can see the program with the red circle on it.

Also from what I researched online, a red light is supposed to display on the front of your receiver box and that does not happen for me either. Another thing I don't have working is the Pause Live TV function. I press pause, it doesn't work... there are no error messages or anything.

So what is exactly happening? I did reboot, factory reset etc. I spoke with live chat and they told me to do the same steps again, and nothing worked. 

Does anyone here have any idea's? PVR is really important to me, as I fly so frequently, I miss my shows... going into a Rogers store to get another box will be an issue as well for a few days.

Anything else I can try tonight?

It seems to me like you don't have a PVR, where are you located, are you in Ontario or out East? You should go to a Rogers store when you get a change and swap for another Nextbox 3.0 PVR. Make sure you ask the store to give you a PVR model.

Does your Nextbox 3.0 say Cisco 9865 as the make/model?

a310pilot
I've Been Here Awhile

@gp-se Yes, it says Cisco 9865 and I'm located in Mississauga. 

I had one of those huge VCR looking ones before and upgraded to this. I went into the local rogers store and they handed me this.

@a310pilot wrote:

@gp-se Yes, it says Cisco 9865 and I'm located in Mississauga. 

I had one of those huge VCR looking ones before and upgraded to this. I went into the local rogers store and they handed me this.

@a310pilotthat should have PVR functionality. I would go to another Rogers store and swap it out.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@a310pilot

One thing you can try in the meantime is to reboot the 9865. Unplug it for a few seconds, plug it back in and wait until the reboot is finished - usually 10 minutes should do the trick.

You may then have PVR functionality back.  It's possible it has a broken hard disk drive.  Do you hear a soft whooshing sound from the PVR?  Do you hear any "clicking" instead?

a310pilot
I've Been Here Awhile
I read online about sounds like that, and no I do not hear a clicking sound. In fact I feel the light vibrations when my box is on, similar to a hard drive on a pc when it is loading.

On thing I noticed tonight, when I click info button on the remote while on guide. It brings me to a small screen where it gives me an option to record. Once I hit record, I see a pop up saying that it is now recording but at the same time I see "cancel this recording" tab for a few seconds and it dissappears and says record this program again. So it def does not record at all...

a310pilot
I've Been Here Awhile

*UPDATE*

I spoke with tech support last night, we did a hard reboot. At that time my box was stuck in "boot" for 22 minutes (phone conversation was about 40 minutes). We tried to bypass that by holding in the power button while unplugging and plugging back in, and it went back into "boot" again for maybe 10-15 minutes. At that point, she advised me to go to a rogers store today and exchange, it could be a hard-drive issue. 

I left it on all night though, this morning I woke up to check and it up and running however still no PVR functionality. 

I'll pick up a different box tonight after work around 7:30pm and try it out. I think this should solve it right? This issue isn't going to come back if I change boxes. Well either way, let's see.....

@a310pilot let us know if the new box fixes the issue. If it doesn't I would call Rogers and have them send a tech out to your home to fix the issue.

stain
I've Been Around

This has been mentioned, but I find it really hard to believe how difficult it is to record programs on Netbox 3.0.  Older PVR's were much easier where you could have filtered just soccer events and then been able to see each match and just record.  With Netbox 3, you can only search for soccer and then get a lot of results with just a logo and no information about it.  Another recording issue is that I have not been able to figure out how to record a program once per week that has a different name but always the same time slot.  A weekly movie on TCM for example.  Any solutions?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stain:

The issue is not really the hardware (NB3 - 9865) it's the firmware that operates it.

The problem with setting up a series recording for say "Soccer" or "Hockey" is that most people found this a problem since they were getting too many recordings.  I'm in agreement with them and believe that a more precise programme name is better than a general one.

The lack of information depends on the programme and also on the broadcaster in some instances who may not supply that information in time for the IPG (Interactive Programme Guide). As an FYI, the IPG is not supplied by Rogers, but rather by an outside firm that gathers the information from various broadcasters and then provides the IPG to Rogers.  For more insight on the IPG, check out the following thread.  There's a lot more to it than one would think. (see second link)

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/IPG-Inconsistencies/td-p/350863

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/IPG-Inconsistencies/m-p/356610#M38694

It's not possible to set a VCR-like "manual recording" with Navigatr firmware, unfortunately.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57

Don't know whether people have said this before, but what would new users of Navigtr do without you and a few others.

At least our year of suffering can provide guidance to others, and you and others can also say, I agree that it would be better that way, but it isn't, and it is very unlikely that anything will change.

As always, thanks so much @57  I defer to you to have all the best links.

Bruce

jyrjtrejt
I've Been Here Awhile

Nextbox3 (9685HD) problem recording All Episodes in the record series option

I just got a Nextbox 3 and I'm trying to set up all my recordings but am having an issue with the "Record all episodes" option (not "record new eps") for a given series.

No matter what I do (tried factory reset, unplug etc.), it will always show 1 or 2 of the next shows under "Scheduled Recordings" instead of listing all of them that I can see in the guide.  I tried setting it to "record all episodes" "any day" "any timeslot" and it will still only do 1 or 2 of the following shows.  If I navigate through the guide I can see the other shows on each of the next days, but they don't have the red dot to show they're going to be recorded and they aren't on the scheduled list.

Again - I am NOT using "record new episodes", this is a completely open "all eps, any timeslot, any day" setting.

I've only had the box for a day, so I don't know if the scheduled list will populate over time or should it just populate the scheduled recordings list right away.   Normally I'd just leave it for a week to test, but I'm setting this up for my parents and want to make sure its working before I go.

Thanks!

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

The other instances of the show you're trying to record...are they all on the same channel?

From what I can see, when you record a series, the settings only apply to THAT channel...so, for example, if you select "Big Bang Theory" on CBS east, Navigatr should find all of the episodes on CBS east, but won't find any episodes on CTV, or syndicated episodes on NBC, FOX. etc.....

jyrjtrejt
I've Been Here Awhile

Yeah I double checked that the other airings were on the same channel too.  One thing I noticed, if there are say 6 airings of Big Bang Theory this weekend, all 6 will appear on the scheduled list.  But any of the airings after Monday aren't on the scheduled list (again same channel).  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jyrjtrejt : This will happen occasionally.  Check out the following link for all the IPG inconsistencies that you may encounter.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/IPG-Inconsistencies/td-p/350863

Sometimes if you wait until the next morning, the scheduled series recordings may appear properly. Sometimes not.  If they don't, you can always set some single recordings so you don't miss the programme.

I also make use of the Anyplace Home Edition app to schedule recordings and to check recordings.  It's sometimes easier to do using the app as it provides some additional information.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/anyplace-tv-home-edition-overview

bethjayrodgers
I've Been Here Awhile

Paramount network PVR problem

I have tried to record Bellator which was on this passed Friday and it didn't record. What's up?

Good afternoon @bethjayrodgers!

Welcome to our Community!

I'm sorry to hear you missed the fight 😞 I know I'm never happy when my PVR misses a recording either!

Do you know if this issue is impacting every recording you try to make on the Paramount Network? Please let me know.

Regards,

RogersCorey