cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextbox 3.0 recording issue

sugajen
I've Been Here Awhile

I recently ugraded to a Nextbox 3.0 and am having trouble with recording anything.

I get the error " ................................................. will not be able to record due to limited space available on your PVR. Please click Manage Recordings below and remove some recordings in order to ensure there is enough space for this program". How can I wipe out the PVR?

I just got the box less than a week ago (haven't used it yet) and there are no recording on/or shown when I go to the "My Recordings" place.

I spent 2 hours with Rogers online, they had no suggestions and also disconnected me. Obviously they have no idea about any of equipment.

Please help

***Edited labels***

64 REPLIES 64

Re: Nextbox 3.0 recording issue

@remaxman I think i have it in there.. may be just worded a bit diferently.

Yeah, if you dont press delete or something say right away on any popup...and it goes back to the recodings screen,  the DEFAULT behavior is for it to go to the TOP of the list.. which may not be the one you just watched.

PGG
I've Been Around

When I set my new Nextbox to record a series, I need to be able to tell it to access my episodes that have already been recorded and to NOT record it again. How do I do that? (I was able to do it with my TiVo box way back in 2007 - so I hope this newest Rogers box can do it now!). Thanks.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That i know of.. no there really isnt a way.

It doesnt record any form of episode number, unless its in the description.. but nothing that compares.

If you set the series recording to record only NEW.. it should only record any NEW episodes that air, as new ones generally are marked in the guide as NEW.. and shouldnt record any older ones. 

But that would only get new.. if you say has season 2 of something recorded already, and you wanted it to record season 1, and any new season 3.. no, it cant do that.

leafcrazy
I've Been Here Awhile

Set NB 3.0 with Navigatr to record Shades of Blue series.

-New episodes only

-This timeslot only

-Any Day

Here's what the Rogers box has recorded of this series

In reverse chronilogical order;

March 17 (scheduled) 9:00pm

March 10 (missed) 11:00pm, 5 minutes

March 3 (correct) 9:55pm, 70 minutes

February 18 (missed) 11:00pm, 5 minutes

February 11 (correct) 9:55pm, 70 minutes

February 4 (correct) 9:55pm, 70 minutes

January 28 (correct) 9:55pm, 70 minutes

All prior to this worked fine

Next week lists 'Shades of Blue' in scheduled recording but it's set for 9:00pm-10:00pm.  Globaltv.com still shows a 10:00pm start time.

The NB 3.0 with Navigatr is randomly switching the recording to different time, different length, still shows as a 'Shades of Blue' tile in the menu, and next week will record something different, in a different timeslot.

Any similar issues?  Could this be a user issue?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@leafcrazy wrote:

Next week lists 'Shades of Blue' in scheduled recording but it's set for 9:00pm-10:00pm.  Globaltv.com still shows a 10:00pm start time.

This is due to the change to DST this weekend. The times for all programming are "incorrect" for next week. It should correct on Sunday morning.  Check all your scheduled recordings on Sunday morning and wait until then to set any new recordings for next week.

FYI, I never rely on the "new" tag for recordings since it is often incorrect, either missing so that you miss the programme, or there on programming that is not new, so a repeat records.

You say you did "this timeslot", but I have no idea why it recorded at times that were different from "the actual timeslot".  Perhaps a portion of the programme overlapped into the timeslot?  Did you do "any timeslot"?  Again, I would rarely (actually never) combine "this timeslot" with "new" - I would use one or the other, or "any time" if the programme doesn't repeat often (or never repeats during the week) - deleting any duplicates afterwards.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@leafcrazy wrote:

Could that be because of the weird way Navigatr handles the time change coming up this weekend? The Zap2it Guide and my SARA Guide just skips an hour, but the Navigatr Guide doesn't and you're supposed to trust that everything will record correctly.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

leafcrazy
I've Been Here Awhile

Good call on the time change for next week, I gapped on that.

It doesn't explain why the NB 3.0 recorded at the wrong time on Feb 18th and March 10th, and for 5 minutes instead of the entire hour.  It's set to record the series, any new episode in any timeslot, on any day.  This is Thursdays at 10:00pm EST or DST as you pointed out starting next week.  The same thing has occured with another show but used Shades of Blue as the example.  Just wondered if there are similar issues experienced out there, or if my box is, or me, is the issue.  Other shows record just fine, at the set time and day, for the set duration.

Cheers. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In post 25 you said "this timeslot". In your last post you say "any timeslot". Which is it?  If you originally did "this timeslot" then if the programme only overlaps into that timeslot for say 5 minutes, that explains the 5 minute recordings...

Cap07
I'm a Reliable Contributor
I had a weird one. Apparently the PVR decided on it's own to record a half hour of Rogers Cable 10 last night.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cap07 wrote:
I had a weird one. Apparently the PVR decided on it's own to record a half hour of Rogers Cable 10 last night.

Not sure if you were on Rogers 10 at any time last night, but a misplaced press of the record button may account for it...  Pretty easy to do.

Cap07
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Pretty rare that I watch Rogers Cable 10. More likely to watch the Pet Food Cooking Channel.

leafcrazy
I've Been Here Awhile

Sorry, 'any time slot' was the original setting.  New epidodes only.

Since this is scheduled to record the series then why would it be a 5 minute recording twice (both prior to the time change) and fine for the others.

The debugging and user interaction testing processes both need some very drastic overhauling.

jjmartin
I Plan to Stick Around

I watched a recording and pressed Stop shortly before the ending. The display offered Delete (and maybe Watch and Manage, I'm not sure). I would have clicked on Delete except past experience told me it might not be for the show I had just watched. Sure enough -- the decription was different. The menu had jumped to the next recording. I had to scroll back to the show I had just watched in order to delete it. Many times recently I have watched a recording to the end, and the menu taht appears is for that recording, so Delete is for the recording I just finished. However, it's possible there were no subsequent recordings to switch to.  I don't know why Rogers insist on shoving Navigatr to customers, the old system was much better.

rammer
I Plan to Stick Around

I know that the next box 3 pvr can theoretically record up to 7 programs at.the same time but how many programs can be entered that record at different times. If I enter more than 7 they get entered in the list but do not have any info (date etc) attached to them. With my old sa 8300 I could enter many programs as long as no more than 2 recorded at the same time.

so what gives with the nextbox3???

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rammer wrote:

I know that the next box 3 pvr can theoretically record up to 7 programs at.the same time but how many programs can be entered that record at different times. If I enter more than 7 they get entered in the list but do not have any info (date etc) attached to them. With my old sa 8300 I could enter many programs as long as no more than 2 recorded at the same time.

so what gives with the nextbox3???

Hello : I suggest you familiarize yourself with the following links:

How To Navigatr: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Navigatr Issues:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

How To CC:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

You can set as many recordings as you want (up to 8 recordings that occur at the same time)  Many people have 10's of scheduled recordings set on their 9865 (NextBox3).  If you set them as a series recording instead of as a single recording, you'll be able to see information in the tile like recording time, recording date, channel name.  Once you're finished watching the recording, delete it and select "cancel all scheduled recordings" on the right hand side of the tile.  This is a workaround for the lack of information in the tiles for single recordings. For series recordings (ones that you record daily or weekly, etc) this is obviously not necessary.

If a programme has not yet been recorded, the scheduled recordinga will be near the bottom of all of the tiles.  Use the down arrow to go down in your list one row at a time, or "page -" to go down one page (two rows) at a time.  When you're inside the (series) tile, there are tabs at the top for programmes that have been recorded and scheduled recordings. 

You can also use "AnyPlace Web" on your computer or AnyPlace/RAPTV on a tablet or mobile phone to see/schedule/delete lists of recordings/scheduled recordings where all of the information will show, regardless of if it's single or series.  AnyPlace is also very useful for searches.

AnyPlace: http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/anyplace-tv/284?setLanguage=en

For additional information, see the links I've provided earlier in my post.  A few minutes spent on those links will save you hours of frustration.

Here's the long thread on Navigatr (the firmware that runs the NextBox3)

Navigatr Thread:   http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

gordandmichele
I Plan to Stick Around

Just started having this problem.  My Nextbox doesn't stop recording shows when they are finished.  It happens randomly.  I noticed this because the Nextbox started filling up recently, but I wasn't recording anything new.  I'm usually only 20% full, but it jumped to over 40% full.  I found two shows - one had recorded for almost 2,400 minutes (40 hours) and another had recorded for 667 minutes.  These were both one hour shows.  I deleted them successfully, but have no idea what happened.  Any thoughts?

@gordandmichele:

This happens occasionally.  A reboot will usually fix it and allow you to delete appropriately. (Settings - scroll up one to Troubleshooting - Diagnostics - Reboot when you're not recording anything and nothing's scheduled for the next 30 minutes).

We have not found a pattern to when this happens, but it's only happened to me once in couple of years. Others who are heavy users have reported it more often, but still pretty rare.

gordandmichele
I Plan to Stick Around
Tried that. First long recording was last week. Rebooted twice before next long recording happened yesterday. Rebooted again. We'll see what happens next. I've had the box for a long time with no issues, then this started last week. Upgrade problem?

hd pvr recording with navigatr

Is there anyway to manually set the recording time using navigatr? I would like to record a 4 hour portion of the Olympics coverage on TSN2, however, the guide has set the program to last 10 hours. Navigatr limits the recording options to "before scheduled start time" and "after scheduled end time".  

In this case, I would like the recording to start 4 hours after the start of the program and continue for 4 hours.

Could Rogers please reintegrate the a user-friendly manual recording function into the Navigatr?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gmostowich wrote:

hd pvr recording with navigatr

Is there anyway to manually set the recording time using navigatr?

Not possible with Navigatr.  I do not know if Navigatr will bring back a manual recording option.  If you hold down the "Page+" button, it'll skip 3 minute intervals every second, which should quickly get you to where you need to be in your recording.

ho19
I've Been Around

Is it possible to create a manual recording with a Nextbox 3.0?