cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextbox 3.0 recording issue

sugajen
I've Been Here Awhile

I recently ugraded to a Nextbox 3.0 and am having trouble with recording anything.

I get the error " ................................................. will not be able to record due to limited space available on your PVR. Please click Manage Recordings below and remove some recordings in order to ensure there is enough space for this program". How can I wipe out the PVR?

I just got the box less than a week ago (haven't used it yet) and there are no recording on/or shown when I go to the "My Recordings" place.

I spent 2 hours with Rogers online, they had no suggestions and also disconnected me. Obviously they have no idea about any of equipment.

Please help

***Edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Nextbox 3.0 recording issue

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Assuming you have already rebooted the box couple of times and let it stay on for a day or two - try exchanging the box, cause it might be faulty hard drive there,

View solution in original post

64 REPLIES 64

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Assuming you have already rebooted the box couple of times and let it stay on for a day or two - try exchanging the box, cause it might be faulty hard drive there,

View solution in original post

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, sounds like a faulty drive to me.

sugajen
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, Ihave tried rebooting and resetting to factory settings. I will try and return the unit. Thanks for your help!

Lu1977
I've Been Around

Hi there,

I am wondering if there is going to be a functioning firmware patch to fix all the bugs to the nextbox 3.0?  I had just got it 3 weeks ago and am really thinking of returning to my old PVR as this new box has so many issues up until last night.  I have had it replaced once in the 3 weeks…I had a tech come over to say that Rogers is working on a patch etc…

The issues are:

-          Did not allow me to record shows.  I chose the channel pushed record then it stopped right away.

-          The shows that did record I could not play from the beginning like my old PVR while it was recording

-          The shows that ended the recording phase, I pushed play and it was all blank screens

-          Aside from recording, some channels I want to watch that I DO pay for just show up as a blank screen stating I am not authorized.

Each time I re-booted fixed the errors but I have re-booted this box many times and I am beginning to be frustrated….any help would be nice at this point before I decide to scrap the rogers service.

I just got off the phone with the support line and they tell me that this has been fixed and they did not hear of any of these problems!!!!???? but I have been reading these newsgroups and people have these similar issues.

Any help?

Thank you

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Some of the issues are hit and miss.. could be area related from the head end... or could be box by box.
Some users have been pretty much perfectly fine, others nothing but issues.

When the tech was out, did he actually CHECK anything, signal levels, etc?

Blank channels/not authorized, can often be from signal issues.
These boxes seem ALOT more senstive to slightly bad signal.. sowhat was good for one box, may not be good for the new ones.

(there was a patch that some seems to get the last few days.. which MAY have been designed to fix some of the issue.. but the patch had issues in of itself and was completely locking up boxes for the last day or so... but again, only certain areas, etc).

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

Gdkitty wrote:

(there was a patch that some seems to get the last few days.. which MAY have been designed to fix some of the issue.. but the patch had issues in of itself and was completely locking up boxes for the last day or so... but again, only certain areas, etc).

We're talking $500 boxes here. Rogers needs to enact a MASS RECALL until they get this mess cleaned up. Obviously a LARGE number of the NextBox 3.0's are incapable of running on the Rogers network RELIABLY.

ANY credible company with ANY amount of Corporate Responsibilty would issue a recall notice at the first sign of MASS identifiable hardware issues for $500 pieces of equipment.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"

Mass recall for WHAT?  Its a FIRMWARE problem.
They need to be better at pushing proper FIRMAWARE pushes.. without error, so things like this doesnt happen.

By the time they change the firmware, stop pushing it, etc, would be QUICKER than everyone returning boxes.  If that BAD firmware is still being pushed, the new boxes will get the SAME problem.

The boxes, CAN run reliably.. if the network is ok.
I tend to live in an area, where there is LITTLE network issues (likely due to to smaller volume,etc say compared to Toronto, lower GTA, etc).
My box is 100% fine, and has been since install, only ONE reboot since install.

YES, this is still 100% in rogers to fix.  No arguments there.
But its a NETWORK/FIRMAWRE issue primarily for alot of this... NOT hardware.

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty

I see you're new to firmware issues.

Solution: Rogers recalls the boxes in circulation and ISSUES NEW FACTORY FRESH boxes with VANILLA factory firmware that has been tested and working.

In many cases, firmware revisions CANNOT be rolled back so the boxes in circulation NOW must be recalled and returned to the factory so a NEW BIOS chip can be installed.

I'm sure if Rogers was able to ROLL BACK the firmware to an earlier WORKING revision they would have done so already.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Or push a newer which fixes it. Which has/is what normally happens in most of these cases with major mistakes in the pas (with SARA, nb2). There are users who have had the current issue already resolved, so Rogers have done something (either rollback or new patch) may not have reached all yet.

I get what you are saying. And don't 100% disagree with it. Some form of voluntary exchange if one so wishes.

But to set it as a RECALL in legal terms is a whole other ball game. Usually this is done when something is non fixable.
I have felt with a recall through the company I work for, and when declaring the recall, it must be left for x number of years (may varry based on the product type, problem, etc).
Say it had to be left for 3 years. Someone at the 3 year point who doesn't have the problem now but bought durring that time could then exchange it, as it fell in the buying range, even though the unit is out of warranty.

ghostbandit
I've Been Around

I'm glad I registered in this forum.

I used to have pixellation issues galore on whichever box I had. They then diminished/went away for the most part. Then I decided to get the "new" Nextbox 3.0.

Well guess what. THE PROBLEM IS BACK! Except this time, the screen goes black for about 3-5 seconds. On Saturday, Oct. 5th. I was watching the Montreal hockey game, when I counted 56 black screen stoppages.

How's that for frustration?

On additional item: I set up recordings; and the box chooses which recordings to do, and which to not do.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Have you had a tech out at all? Pixelization is almost alway signal related.

asudd
I've Been Around

On my third nextbox 3.0. First recorded a blank screen and and when you hit play it rebooted. Second had dropouts on recorded programs. One more problem and I'm switching to Bell.

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around

sounds like i got a mangled update - see below.

at this point the question is, is there any way to salvage the recordings on the fixed disc?

current symptoms:

everything was ok last night*

today, the pvr showed no saved recordings (there were numerous files saved, about 15% capacity).

it did however show the scheduled recordings.

attempting to sched a new recording produced insufficient space message.

ipad app listed the saved recordings ok, but free space as -1% (should have been 85% or so)

did a reboot (30 second power off)

all symptoms unchanged

after talking to tech support, did another reboot

same symptoms except ipad app now cant see the pvr

* yesterday afternoon when we powered on the box said it was downloading update.    we left it running, after a couple of hours it looked like it had finished but had not restarted    so we did soft power off and on (not reboot) and all seemed ok.

not sure if this points at firmware or fixed disc problem.

any ideas?

Netbox 3.0 Recording Limitations.

Hi there, my Netbox 3.0 will only allow for 4 recordings at one time and if I am watching another channel while these 4 recordings are happening, the system will freeze and reboot.  I thought the allowance was 8 recordings. 

Hi @helenpersonal,

I apologize for the issues you are having with your Nextbox 3.0. Yes, you are able to record upto 8 shows but the fact that your box freezes and reboots while recording 4 shows sounds like a hardware issue. Does this happen every time? How long have you had the box for? I am suspecting that the hard drive in the box might be faulty. Also, which TV guide does your box have? Is it the RTN guide (Red/Black) or the new Navigatr guide? 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Cap07
I'm a Reliable Contributor
The whole multiple recordings function is really hit and miss. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've also seen scheduled recordings not record. The new menu is really really terrible. Does the person who designed it ever actually watch TV or is he strictly a web watcher?

We just upgraded to Nextbox 3 and have a 9865 HD box.  I'm having trouble adjusting to the new system.  The PVR is in the living room and we have a 'slave' box in a bedroom.   It is not consistent but several times I have gone to watch something recorded the night before and the display has the 'recorded'  area  on the left grayed out.  I can see that something has been recorded and when it was done .  I can also see what is scheduled.  Sometimes I can watch - sometimes I cannot.  Any suggestions?

remaxman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

This has happened a few times to everyone in my family now. We have two netbox 3's pvr's. When watching a recorded program when it comes to the end the menu comes up and says watch or delete. So you delete it since you watched it right? Nope its the next recording in that series if you have recorded a few of them. So what have you done? You have delted the next recording leaving the first one you just watched there. What a pain. Kitty add this to youe the things that need to be fixed or changed list?

Steve

Hello @remaxman,

I can confirm that this bug is biting a lot of us -- you should have heard my dad curse the first time he accidentally deleted something because of it! The only advice I can give is to slow down, and look for the "Watched" (top right of recorded item in list) or the full blue progress bar before deleting. 

That is wierd.. wondering if they boxes are out of sync.

Try unpluging both. Plug in the NB3 first and let it fully come up.. then plug in the other one.

Give it a good hour or so.. 

And see how it is?

(sometime thing like this, can be due to bad signal.. not allowing them to communicate well with each other)