Nextbox 3.0 picture quality

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nextbox 3.0 picture quality

...nope, just took the 3 back and got a 2.  No problem at the store - they seemed to understand.  Happy with the pic quality again but . about the 2 program record and dismal response time in the menus.  But it's really all about pic quality, isn't it?  Good luck....

illinois
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My picture quality is the same on my NB3 as it is is/was on my NB2.. no drop at all...
So not sure if its a box to box issue.. or something else.

Making sure that the output setting is on 1080i (not 1080p).

I Plan to Stick Around

...I did indeed take back my NB3 and got another - same lesser quality.  I did set it to1080i properly, rebooted, etc.... - for evaluation purposes I tried 1080p and it was indeed worse than 1080i - my final judgement was with 1080i properly set.  I'm confident that both of the NB3 boxes I tried were configured properly.

The NB2 I finally picked up from Rogers was certainly not my original NB2.  The picture quality on the "new" NB2 is great, as it was on my old one.

For whatever it's worth, I have no idea why the quality seems to be better on an NB2, but it truly is, at least to my eye.  To quote someone else in this thread, the picture is "softer" - things like edges on graphics are just not as sharp and defined,

I suppose I could have had a service person come over (talked to Rogers and they said it probably wasn't worth it) but, to be quite honest, I got tired of the whole thing.

illinois
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Naw, wouldnt be worth a tech visit.. they couldnt do anything.

Maybe its just TV to TV difference too... likely there IS some picture difference.. but some TVs interpret it differently than others.

I'm an Advisor

illinois:

I had an NB 3 for a while and it had a softer picture than my 8300HD PVR. With the NB 3, I had to set my display's sharpness setting higher to get it somewhere near the same. The problem with sharpness settings is, they can cause other problems if it's set too high. I eventually returned the NB 3 and, when I went back to my 8300, had to turn down the sharpness setting.

I Plan to Stick Around

Folks,

I'm sure it's a TV to TV thing, I'm not THAT discriminating and I assume others are not completely blind.  It was a real phenomenon with my 5 year old 46" Samsung LCD - truly immediately noticeable..

The sharpness on my TV was already pretty high (perfect for my eye and TV) so increasing the sharpness for the NB3 kicked in some unwanted effects and looked just wrong.  I tinkered like crazy and it just didn't work.

Anyway, my only problem is dealing with the NB2's annoyances and, Lord knows, what will I do when my NB2 dies and I MUST go to the NB3.  Perhaps I'll buy a new TV :smileyhappy:

illinois
I've Been Around

My input signal settings on tv it shows the input signal at 1080p, I noticed the picture is much better! I wonder if is a fluke, but is true!