Nextbox 3.0 picture quality

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox 3.0 picture quality

Hi,

My first post - bear with me.

I've been Rogers HD user for almost 5 years, starting with the old Scientific Atlanta, then the Next Box 2.0 and now, as of Friday, the Next Box 3.0.  Been happy with the pic quality on my 46" Samsung since day 1 with the first two boxes.  Actually went with Fibe about 1.5 years ago but turfed it and went back to Rogers as the Rogers pic quality was demonstrably better.

OK, I hate to rain on the 3.0 love-in but I'm not particularly happy with the picture quality with the 3.0.  LOVE the big disc and the 8 programs, but the picture is just not as good as the 2.0 or even the Sci Atlanta.  I've tried booting, new HDMI, every possible setting I could find (yes, 1080i) but, particularly watching sports, the images just aren't as crisp.

Going to call support tomorrow and if they can't offer any suggestions I'm going to see if I can rent an old 2.0 as well to do an A/B comparison to satisfy myself about this.

Has anyone else noticed a drop in quality with the 3.0?  Anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks......

***Edited labels***

illinois
I'm a Regular

Re: Nextbox 3.0 picture quality

1080p doesn't work on mine, but have you rebooted the box after changing quality? You need to do that to make it apply changes.

If you did then maybe you need to swap it for another box.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yup, rebooted numerous times.  Even tried to tinker with the TV sharpness, contrast, etc,, etc.  (which I really don't like to do as I've had it the way I wanted it).

It's not like the picture is bad, just not quite as good as it was.  About as good as the Fibe I got rid of.

Thanks for the suggestions - will see what Rogers will do and will repost....

illinois
I'm an Advisor

illinois:

I came from an 8300HD PVR and got the NB 3 almost 2 weeks ago. My experience is completely different from yours. The NB 3 has a sharper HD picture at the 1080i setting, pllus black levels are slightly better. I have a Samsung LED 3D Smart TV.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks jimboden,

Maybe I got a lemon - called support and they told me to return it and get a new one.  If that doesn't work, I need a service call.  If that doesn't work, I'm going to try another 2.0.  I'm tired already.....

illinois
I Plan to Stick Around

....just one thing.  I posted on another site and I got a reply agreeing  - they used the term "softer" which pretty well describes what I'm talking about.  There's just a lack of sharpness/crispness to the picture.

Having said that, I'm watching the recorded Jays/Yankees day game right now and the picture appears to be quite good (even though I'm working on a glass of wine).  Is there a possible latency for a new box?  Maybe Rogers has done something with the signal after my call?  Or is it the wine Smiley Happy?  Sorry, I'm thinking aloud.....

illinois
I'm Here A Lot

yes just got mine today noticed the same thing
I Plan to Stick Around

...so maybe I'm not nuts.  Going to return it this weekend and will post with results.....

illinois
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Only used mine for a few hours now, but seems fine here.
Will have to check more as I have it longer

I'm Here A Lot

everything great now!

Coming on PPV!
Spence vs. Garcia Live
LIVE: Saturday March 16, 2019 9PM ET
Preshow: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
Ignite TV customers can order as of March 13
DTV Customers can order as of March 14
Spence vs. Garcia Promo

IBF welterweight world Champion Errol Spence Jr. (24-0, 21 KOs) will defend his belt against four-division world champion and current WBC lightweight titlist Mikey Garcia (39-0, 30 KOs), who will move up two weight divisions to go for a world title in a fifth division in a meeting between two of boxing’s elite pound-for-pound best in the world.

Topic Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 10 in conversation