Nextbox 3.0 & Bravia Sync

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Nextbox 3.0 & Bravia Sync

I upgraded to Nextbox 3.0 from 2.0 yesterday and it has now made the Bravia Sync between my TV/Amp/BluRay player non-functional.  The Sony system (TV is model KDL-52W5100; Receiver is model STR-DH800; and BluRay Player is model BDP-S590 [it is newer than the TV/receiver) has been in place for just over four years and has worked perfectly through my Rogers box changes until now.

If I disconnect the Nextbox it works perfectly again.  I've tried restarting the box with no luck, as well as disconnecting everything and reconnecting with the same results.  I've found a few threads on it that are basically, turn off Bravia Sync because that's the only solution right now.

Has anyone else found a permanent solution for this?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Nextbox 3.0 & Bravia Sync

The only permanent solution is to not use Bravia Sync.

The Nextbox 3.0 doesn't play nicely with HDMI-CEC (the generic name for Bravia Sync). 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately Lurker is right 😞

While the box's specification from the manufacturer says is does have HDMI-CEC.. something with the current software is not making it work properly.

Until rogers makes a fix for this.. the only option is to disable the CEC fucntions (bravia sync in this case)

I've Been Here Awhile

I wonder if this is related to the problem I'm seeing as well. Just got a new Nextbox 3 today - replaced a previous nextbox that's worked fine for over a year. Nothing complicated with the setup - just cable to the box and hdmi to the TV hdmi 1- TV is also a Sony Bravia. When I turn on the nextbox and TV, I see no picture. Through trial/error, I found that I have to change the hmdi input on the TV away from hdmi 1 (e.g. to HDMI 2) and then back to hdmi 1 again - then the picture comes on. Seems like a syncing problem. Anyone's have any thoughts?

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Lurker/Gdkitty, that is what I feared.  Hopefully they make some updates soon.

MaxBrejak, I have noticed this as well!  I found that changing the channel on the nextbox fixes the picture.  It seems that Rogers needs to get Cisco to do some better testing of the software (and Rogers do some acceptance testing),

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks eddegraaf, but I'm not sure its the same thing in my case because changing the channel on the nextbox doesn't solve the problem, nor does turning off Bravia Sync on the tv. I have to change to another HDMI and then back to HDMI 1 to get the picture to come on. I just tried updating the firmware on the bravia just to be sure, but it didn't help. I think I will start another post specifically on my issue and see if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks.

I've Been Here Awhile

Just got a new Nextbox 3 today - replaced a previous nextbox that's worked fine for over a year. Nothing complicated with the setup - just cable to the box and hdmi to the TV hdmi 1- TV is a Sony Bravia. When I turn on the nextbox and TV, I see no picture. Through trial/error, I found that I have to change the hmdi input on the TV away from hdmi 1 (e.g. to hdmi 2) and then back to hdmi 1 again - then the picture comes on.

Based on some similar (but not the same) posts, I tired turning off "Bravia hmdi sync" feature on the TV. I also updated the firmware on the TV to the latest version. Neither solved the problem.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Bravia sync would have been my first thought 😞

I would assume its a handshake issue of some form. I have heard a few instances of others having the same.. But not Very many. I wonder if its more brand / tv specific

I'm Here A Lot

I have the exact same problem. If I unplug the netbox bravia sync starts to work again.  I bought all sony so I can use Bravia sync... disabling it is not an option. I tried component from the netbox to the receiver and tv... that is one solution but I just read another one. From what I gather, Bravia sync and similar systems communicate via CEC feature thru the HDMI connections and cable. Since the Netbox doesnt allow you to disable the CEC communication or interferance, we need to find away to disable CEC.

Options:

1. Component video cables.

2. second option which I have not tried yet (going out to try it now) is to use a pair DVI to hdmi Cables One with a male and one with a female DVI end and attach them together. I've read that DVI does not have CEC capabilities.

3. third option is to buy CEC less Hdmi cables I dont know where to buy them in store (havent looked) but seen them online here. http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/110-cec-less-hdmi-cable.aspx

Hope this helps.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, there really only 1-2 CEC less cables that i have been able to find.. both online orderable.. but not local.

The DVI to hdmi back and forth, should work.. as you are correct, CEC doesnt go through DVI.
BUT.. the problem you MAY run into then, is that alot of DVI adapters, might not pass through the audio 😞  you would want to make sure that you use ones that do.
Otherwise you would need to use a seperate audio input (stereo if just into a TV would likely be enough.. if not, you would want an optical audio of some form)

With component.. you would need to use a seperate audio anyways one way or the other.
Component wouldnt be the end of the world.. component often maxes as 1080i.. which is really the max that rogers broadcasts in anyways.