cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextbox 3.0 + Phillips Soundbar

Davve87
I've Been Around

I recently purchased a Phillips Soundbar with a subwoofer. I ended up buying a Digital Optical cable to connect it to my 55" Philips TV.

Unfortunately my tv doesn't have the digital "out" but my nextbox does. I ended up plugging the Soundbar into the nextbox.
I couldn't program the nextbox remote to control the Soundbar as well so I ended up buying a Harmony 650 remote hoping that I can control everything at once.
Finally got everything working.

Two questions left.
1. I programmed the new remote and everything works fine. The only thing is now when I change the volume up or down neither the tv or nextbox show the actual level of volume. (Before it used to show either the tv's volume bar in the top left corner or nextbox's volume in the top right corner).
2. I can't control all the devices at once. Does anybody else use this remote? I always have to go into devices and choose what I want to use. I thought the whole purpose of this remote was to control everything at once. I basically just want to be able to turn on the tv normally, go through channels, play with the volume without going through menus in the actual remote. Is that possible or did I buy the wrong one.

Thanks

***Edited labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Nextbox 3.0 + Phillips Soundbar

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Davve87 wrote:
I recently purchased a Phillips Soundbar with a subwoofer. I ended up buying a Digital Optical cable to connect it to my 55" Philips TV.

Unfortunately my tv doesn't have the digital "out" but my nextbox does. I ended up plugging the Soundbar into the nextbox.
I couldn't program the nextbox remote to control the Soundbar as well so I ended up buying a Harmony 650 remote hoping that I can control everything at once.
Finally got everything working.

Two questions left.
1. I programmed the new remote and everything works fine. The only thing is now when I change the volume up or down neither the tv or nextbox show the actual level of volume. (Before it used to show either the tv's volume bar in the top left corner or nextbox's volume in the top right corner).
2. I can't control all the devices at once. Does anybody else use this remote? I always have to go into devices and choose what I want to use. I thought the whole purpose of this remote was to control everything at once. I basically just want to be able to turn on the tv normally, go through channels, play with the volume without going through menus in the actual remote. Is that possible or did I buy the wrong one.

Thanks

1.  Not that i'm familiar with the Phillips soundbar, but if the tv isn't showing any volume level indicators, then the Harmony seems to be using the soundbar to control volume.

2.  The Harmony does have 'scenes'  like 'Watch TV' and 'Watch a DVD' where you can control the major functions without having to select device mode.  You're going to have to go into the Harmony desktop software and see how the remote is programmed, and tweak from there.

I have a Harmony One and it works flawlwssly. Rarely have to use individual device control... 

Re: Nextbox 3.0 + Phillips Soundbar

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Since its controling the SOUNDBAR.. and the soundbar is only connected via optical audio.. there is no visual signal sent to the TV to display... so no, you wont see any inication of how high/low it is.

(Vs say in the case of... not sure if a soundbar can do it, but surround sounds can... that the TV hdmi (video and sound) into the surround sound.. then out of that, into the TV via HDMI.  since its got the HDMI that way, shows the surround sounds volume controls on an overlay on the TV)

As for the remote.
As Lurker mentioned.. you will have to go into the settings for your ACTIVITY on the remote.

Each activity (lets say watch TV), you will choose what devices you want it to turn on.
So in this case, your TV, Rogers box, and Sound bar.
In the process of setting up the activity... it should ask.
"what do you want to use to change the channels"  and choose the rogers box.
"what to you want to use to change the volume" and choose the sound bar.
Without having to change device to device, you should be able to just hit the volume and it controls the soundbar, channel the rogers box, etc.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation