Nextbox 3.0 - Freezeups and Reboots - Don't Go Near the PIP Setting !

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Nextbox 3.0 - Freezeups and Reboots - Don't Go Near the PIP Setting !

I took the plunge about a month ago and purchased the nextbox 3.0 (CISCO model DTVSA9865).  I was hesitant because of the plethora of negative (and apparently justified) comments about problems with this box.    Sure enough, within 2 hours of my hooking the sucker up, the box suddenly shut off for no apparent reason, then went into an endless reboot mode (little dashed lines spinning around).   I waited and waited...and waited...called Rogers tech support who claimed he would "escalate" the issue and have a response in 24 hours.   We're off to a great start folks. 

Anyway, fortunately I didn't have to wait that long and the box was up and running again within 15 minutes of my call.   I was definitely very worried about possibly having purchased a lemon or that this is what I would be dealing with on a regular basis.

I have to say, given the additional problems I've had since then - not too numerous but still annoying - i've been close to considering returning it to F-shop and getting my damned $600.00 plus dollars back.  Thats a BIG investment for anyone so I think I should have a device thats working like a charm and not confronted with problems on a regular basis.  

Alas, since there really isn't any other device like this out there - that can record EIGHT freakin programs at once which is awesome (and I do RECORD alot of stuff) and now with the excellent ENHANCED guide, and superior search functionality compared to the old box I had, I just can't do return it.         In the past 3 weeks or so , I have had the following problems with the box:

FREEZE-UPS, REBOOTS IN PIP MODE!

1.     Others have reported similar problems when in PIP mode ... This did not happen within the first week of having the box, but in the past 3 weeks it has occurred EVERY time so I now avoid using the feature now or specifically SCROLLING through channels when using the feature seems to trigger the freezeup and boot.   Basically as you're scrolling in PIP,  everything on the screen suddenly  FREEZES.   After 5 secs , the box shuts off - goes into BOOT mode (boot displays on the box) for about 30-seconds to a minute.  Then the box shuts off completely.   Wait...wait ...wait....after maybe 30 seconds more, the box starts the reboot processs again (little dashes circling around).  This last for up to a minute or more.    Then that goes away and VOILA - the clock is on.  Box needs to be powered up again - your default channel kicks in - guide starts the reload process (takes about another 30-45 seconds and we're back on track again.      

RECORDED PROGRAMS - PLAYBACK ISSUE

2.   I've probably recorded 40-50 programs already and the vast majority played back without a problem.   But inexplicably, I've had 3 or 4 instances where a random program will start playing and the playback suddenly stops.    In a few cases, I've been completely unable to get past it and end up erasing the program.  In other cases, when the playback stops and the program is still in the playback queue, I hit the FF button a few times and it might gradually start to play again and continue.   On one occasion, I couldn't REWIND a program that I had played back at all, but kept going back to it and hitting the rewind button a few times - holding it down - and it would slowly start to rewind bit by bit.  

Anyway, exchanging the box seems pointless considering the volume of complaints about it.   What are the odds I am going to get another box that DOESN'T have these problems....or worse, I could end up getting a REAL lemon as some people have reported that has far more issues that I've had.

If anyone has any recent info or update about what I might be able to do to resolve these issues I've had (and continue to have) please let me know.  Thanks!

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Nextbox 3.0 - Freezeups and Reboots - Don't Go Near the PIP Setting !

The PIP bug is a known, logged bug with Cisco and is rated 'severe' by their internal system. I can only assume this means they're working on it.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

UPDATE:   MORE  ISSUES TO REPORT with this NEXTBOX 3.0

Last night, went to my RECORDED programs list and suddenly couldn't SCROLL down the list under DATE, but could scroll down under TITLE and CHANNEL.   Haven't been able to scroll that part for over 24 hours now.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is an ocassional bug which crops up.

Not exclusive to the NB3.. happens on the NB2 as well.. some bug inthe guide, more than the box.

Had it happen 1-2 times on the NB2.  Only once on the NB3.

Do a reboot, it should clear that back up.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

The problem persists with the PIP....I avoid it altogether now after the last debacle.   I've rebooted the box many times to no avail.  The other day, I was scrolling through PIP and suddenly the PIP pic FROZE and I couldn't get rid of it.    I finally had to UNPLUG the . box - and after 3 attempts to get out of BOOT mode, it finally came back on and resolved itself.

So all the negative commentary about this box before I bought it turns out to have been pretty much factual.  Usually, these anonymous internet blowhards exaggerate and make up all kinds of crap, but gosh darn it THIS box really has many many problems and I would think twice before tossing $500 plus clams on this sucker.

Again the silver lining is the ability to record EIGHT freeakin programs at once - there's really nothing else like it.     And I can't bring this thing back now even though I was tempted to do so.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Keeping my 8300 PVR for now - at least it works!

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Kiwi7:

Amen to that. I had a NB 3 for a few months and gave up on it, mostly because of audio problems. There's a long list of bugs, all of which I documented for my own edification at the time. It's now several months later and I still see users complaining about the same things. My trusty 8300 performs perfectly and I can live with being able to record no more than 2 programs at a time.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Really comes down to how/what you use.

I never use PIP.. its not often on my surround (so dont notice any audio issues).
my wife LOVES being able to record 3+ and not have to time shift, etc... and we make good use of the whole home, with my my son's shows recorded, playing back on the basment HD box.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I agree on the value of PiP. Years ago when I was in the market for a new TV, just when the flat screens were becoming popular, I wanted PiP because I'd seen it on a friend's Sony. It looked like none of the new TVs had it, at least not in my price range. Salespeople told me nobody wanted it. I ended up getting an obsolete model Samsung Tantus flat CRT with the feature. It was great for watching Formula 1 when we could get it on both Speed and TSN and I could switch back and forth during commercials and not miss anyhing. Now, when I have a PVR, I never watch anything live and the PVR's PiP is just a curiosity I don't even need.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have same problem as #2 below.