cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextbox 3.0 COnn, PEnd, and download

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A few questions for the Rogers Technical community.   If the Rogers Technical community does not read these forums, then IS there a Rogers Technical community???

BACKGROUND

.... These issues have been discussed before... in my particular case, I was watching a CFL game late Saturday night, when the picture froze, and the PVR rebooted.  However, the PVR did not appear to reboot "clean", but was rebootting over and over again.

It was late, I was tired, I unplugged and went to bed.

Sunday morning, I booted it, and it came up with COnn on the LEDs, followed by PEnd.  The output display on the TV showed a CISCO splash screen with the message (among others)." The software on this unit must be updated.  This upgrade will be performed when the network is available."

Two other digital boxes in the whole-home setup (plus the internet) were working normally.  A tech had been at the house several days earlier on a different issue, and confirmed that the signal strength was good.

ROGERS ATTEMPTS AT RESOLUTION:

So a quick call to Rogers.  A very helpful person tells me he know what is wrong and will refer it to "the engineers".  A couple of hours later, an automated call says "we need more information" and directs to me a support person.  SP says, "oh... no, we can't fix it... you need to have a tech come, but even that probably wont work, you need to exchange the box" ... 

OK, so be it, but a nagging voice says, this can't be right.  several reboots in faint hope during the day, no change, COnn, then PEnd permanently.  So i leave it in its "PEnd" state, to see if anything will happen overnight sunday night.  Meanwhile, we still have the other two units to watch.

Monday morning, no change, so I call and they agree to send tech... "he MAY be able to do something, but we will tell him to bring a new box"... "TODAY, at 2:00-4:00"

7:00 pm with no tech. I call. Its for tomorrow, not today... "But you specifically said "TODAY""... sorrry, somebody's mistake. Tomorrow."  Turned out to be a good thing.

THE ULTIMATE ACTUAL RESOLUTION.

SO... I leave the PVR in its PEnd state, take off the cable and bypass it directly to the TV to at least watch the few available channels in comfort.   

Tuesday morning, what the heck, reboot it one more time.... Comes up in COnn state, and stays there.... I forgot the cable bypass.  I plug the cable back onto the PVR.  Holy crap,  it shifts immediately to the percent-dowloaded code... CD01, rapidly escalating to CD99... The output display CISCO splash screen changes to show a growing green bar.

The download completes, the box reboots at least twice.... not sure because I HAD to leave the TV to deal with another issue, but an hour later it was up and working fine.

SO...QUESTIONS FOR ROGERS.

1.  What changed?  

First we had "we know how to fix it".  Then we had "it cant be fixed from here", and we had.  "MAYBE it can be fixed from customer's end",,, but "most likely it CAN'T"be fixed and will have to be replaced"...

So which is it?.... oh yeah: NONE OF THE ABOVE...

...... .... gee, it got fixed without doing anything.... or at least without doing anything which we admit to...????

2.  This box is a simple computer.  It has at least two USB ports.  It boots.  

How simple would it be to have a secret keystroke sequence restore it to factory-settings, and boot from a USB port to restore a working system?  Even if it is the tech (and not the customer) that had to do it? A little design forethought, PLEASE!.

CONCLUSION:

In any case, if you get into one of those perpetual "PEnd" states, you might try booting with the cable OFF, then connect the cable while the box is powered UP.  I can't promise anything, but maybe it triggers something that gets that software update started correctly.

***Edited labels***

68 REPLIES 68

Re: Nextbox 3.0 COnn, PEnd, and download

dalziel66
I Plan to Stick Around

Has anyone tried connecting the box directly to an ethernet connection to see if it does the update? Is the ethernet plug even live? How about the USBs?

I'm going to try Granite's "fix" and see if that works.

Weird that I am having this problem shortly after finishing the rent to own program for the box.

Before this problem we were having an occasional screen freeze problem. it would occasionally freeze on PVR playback. Maybe a glitchy area of the hard drive? Sometimes if we left it, it would start playing again. Sometimes if we turned the box off, it would come back on, stuck in the same place, with incorrect colours. Sometimes when we rebooted and played the recorded show from the beginning, the show would get stuck in the same place. If we fast-forwarded past the "stuck" place, the show would continue without interuption.

Again, interesting that this started only after we "owned" the box.

Thoughts?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dalziel66

1. The ethernet port is not used by Rogers at this time.  As a matter of fact, if people plugged in an ethernet cable with early versions of Navigatr firmware there were problems.

2. The USB port is also not utilized by Rogers at this time.  It's possible to use it to charge small devices if you like.

3. The glitches in the recordings are either due to an issue with the Hard Drive, or with the initial incoming signal, which the drive then recorded.

Low signal strength often causes issues for many people.  Call Rogers and have them check the signal at your box (give them the serial number if you have more than one box) or in your neighbourhood. They can check the signal remotely.  Here's a post on the topic:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

It's probably just coincidence that it happened after rent-to-own finished.

dalziel66
I Plan to Stick Around

Problem 1:

Okay, so how am I supposed to get the box to update if I cannot use one of the ports and it doesn't seem to want to connect to do the update when I reboot it munerous times? I will try Granite's idea and see if that works.

Problem 2:

Signal strength is fine.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dalziel66 wrote:

Okay, so how am I supposed to get the box to update if I cannot use one of the ports

The box will update to the latest firmware via the coax connnection at the appropriate time governed by the Rogers head end to which you are connected.  It's automatic and there's nothing you can do to force it.  Whenever you have a complete reboot, you will have the latest firmware appropriate for your STB/location.

The latest firmware version may take time to get to certain areas since Rogers may take 3-4 weeks to send out new firmware to all its customers in Ontario, but again, there is absolutely nothing that you can do.

If you are having difficulty rebooting, there is likely some sort of signal issue, either at your home, in your neighbourhood, or rarely inside the STB.

mychaudang
I've Been Here Awhile
Same situation as yours. Problem started occurring after rent-to-own. Technician came and said it can't be fixed. He said I have to buy or rent a new box. I also tried Granite's method many times but still no use.

Was your box fixed?

Hello, @mychaudang

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. If the technician has determined it can't be fixed then most likely it's a hardware failure. Have you reached out to our Customer Service yet to add a box to your account? If not you can send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

PS: I understand you were trying to relate your issue with the other member in this thread, however, since they were not tagged properly they may not read your post. Just tag like this - @ColdGranite

mychaudang
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi @RogersMoin,

I've called Rogers CSR to add a new box.  Back to renting again.

Hello, @mychaudang

I appreciate the update. Thanks for your contribution and for your help in keeping the community a pleasant place to be.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Cornfed
I Plan to Stick Around
These are definitely the worst boxes ever. 1 purchased 3.0 stuck with this same issue. Definitely not a signal issue. Another purchased 3.0 work fine but it seems like the hard drive is dead, can't record watch any recordings without it freezing.

I own many super old boxes and they work great. The old silver pvrs are champs

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Cornfed wrote:
These are definitely the worst boxes ever. 1 purchased 3.0 stuck with this same issue. Definitely not a signal issue. Another purchased 3.0 work fine but it seems like the hard drive is dead, can't record watch any recordings without it freezing.

I own many super old boxes and they work great. The old silver pvrs are champs

I own a SA8300HD and a SA8300SD, which I've had for almost 8 years. Not a bit of trouble with either of them. And the SARA interface is so much simpler, with features the Nextbox Navigatr lacks. Sometimes change for the sake of change is not such a good idea. The only worthwhile Nextbox 3.0 feature is the ability to record and watch more shows at the same time, but even that has bugs that won't let you accurately schedule start and stop times.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

dalziel66
I Plan to Stick Around

I ended moving the box closer to where the cable comes into the house and disconnected all of the stuff connected to the cable (modem; home monitoring; other cable box) and tried Granite's solution. BTW, the signal appeared to be stronger at this point.

After doing this a few times, low & behold, the box started to update. It had nothing to do with any scheduling at the head end. 

Keep trying and see if there is any way to boost you signal or cut down on interference.

Teddy2010
I'm Here A Lot
Same problem. It was stuck on Pend now its stuck on Conn. Did every possible reboot with antena in withoùt antenna in. Rogers cant see the box.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Teddy2010 : If Rogers can't see your box, there is a signal/connection issue in your home or in your neighbourhood.  The signal from your box is not getting back to the head end, perhaps due to a bad splitter or cable, etc.  See the following previous link on checking signal, etc.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

If you're not a technical person, it's very likely that you'll need to have Rogers into your home to check connections, signal etc.

Teddy2010
I'm Here A Lot
Thanks. Rogers is coming on Saturday.

Re: Nextbox 3.0 COnn, PEnd, and download - UPDATE

dalziel66
I Plan to Stick Around

So much for solving the issue. Since I responded, I have had the same problem about 4 or 5 times. When I finally get the box to update, I had problems with the hard drive in the PVR. Mid-September the whole box bricked and, try as I might, I could get the thing to work again. Ended up having to get a new PVR from Rogers. What annoys me most is that they no longer do the "rent to own" deal. The store clerk said it was because they had too many complaints about boxes bricking. I think Rogers just wants to keep getting the rental revenue!

Teddy2010
I'm Here A Lot
I was told by Rogers telephone support that the Conn and Pend messages mean the box is dead.

Hi @dalziel66 and @Teddy2010,

Thanks for the updates! Keep us posted.

@Teddy2010, did you end up having a service call today?  Based on your last post I'm not sure if you kept the appointment or opted to swap out your box. 

@dalziel66, If you continue to experience any issues, please send a private message to @CommunityHelps and we can access your account to run some tests. For more information on our Private Message system, please see this page.

RogersShaun

I had the service call. I was told the box is dead. I was also told it was a sofyware uodate by a Rogers employee and the repair depot. I also had a box drop wholehome. Thats another issue. A technician came out for that issue and couldnt fix it. 2 boxes in less than a week with issues and a tier 2 tech bs ing me. Pretty fed up with bs, im 52 nit born yesterday.

Hello @Teddy2010,

Oh no! I know how frustrating it must be having your NextBox 3.0 PVR stop working all of a sudden. I know I rely pretty heavily on my PVR to catch up with all of my programs.

We would like to take a look at this for you to see what can be done to resolve this matter for you. Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps the next time you're online and we can take a closer look.

For more information on our private messaging system check out our blog.

RogersTony

Shider
I've Been Here Awhile

NB3 keeps on this cycle (as what displayed) - "boot" for about 1-2 mins then "----" for about 10sec...just keep on this looping cycle "boot" then "----"... I did let it on for more than 5 hrs but no luck...still on the same cycle.

Any help?

CMS1
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi there, I'm having an issue with my Rogers cable box. When it is first turned on, it takes 20 or more to finally get a signal and then works fine. I have tried a new box, rebooted it several times with no change. Not sure what the issue is since we had the smaller cable box hooked up awhile back and it worked fine. Any ideas?

Topic Stats