Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextbox 2.0 and Nextbox 3.0 same network

lem1
I Plan to Stick Around

My current whole-home-pvr setup:

Living room: Explorer 8642HD (PVR)
Bedroom 1: Explorer 8600HD (Terminal)
Bedroom 2: Explorer 4290 (digital terminal - no recordings)

Proposed whole-home-pvr setup:

I am going to buy a Nextbox 3.0 and insert it into my current setup. The Explorer 4290 will be decommissioned. The boxes will be moved around like this:
Living room: Nextbox 3.0
Bedroom 1: Explorer 8642HD (PVR)
Bedroom 2: Explorer 8600HD (Terminal)

My questions:
1. Will I be able to record on both the Nextbox 3.0 and 8642 and watch recordings from any of the three locations?
2. Do I need a $50 service call to do this work, or can I simply purchase the new receiver at a Rogers store, move the boxes around and then call to activate the new Nextbox 3.0?

As an aside: This is a new installation this month and I subscribed the VIP ultimate. The boxes are rented. Is it normal for Rogers to still deploy the Nextbox 2.0 boxes?

Thanks for reading, and hopefully what I want to do has been described adequately enough that some of you experts can give me a little guidance.

****Edit Labels****

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Nextbox 2.0 and Nextbox 3.0 same network

RogersAliciaG
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @lem1

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

I would be happy to help with your Whole Home PVR question.

With the Whole Home PVR set up, you will be able to watch recorded content from any compatible NextBox Terminal on the Whole Home PVR (WHPVR) network. 

If a Whole Home PVR Network only consists of 2 PVR’s, each PVR can record content and when the recording list is accessed content from both PVR’s is available.

In order to have Whole Home PVR, we need to connect all your NextBoxes.  A professional installation and setup is required to network your boxes and to calibrate your signal levels. Once complete, you will be able to watch and manage the recorded content from your PVR. This process can take up to 2 hours to complete.

I hope this helps

RogersAliciaG

Just to expand on @RogersAliciaG's post.

Yes, the tech visit is necessary..

Right now, depending on how your house is set up.. there could be splitters, etc.. splitting stuff off to all the connections.. but could be forked between say an internet, etc as well on the same fork as a TV etc.
In your current setup, this works.

For the whole home PVR.. all the TVs have to be in the same 'loop'. 
Part of the $50 charge, is for the MOCHA filter they put in.  its a little fiter on the IN feed, before any splits going to JUST the TVs. 
What this does is create a small little group for just the TVs there to communicate.. and for them NOT to communicate outside of your house.
(we helpe a person here a while back, who MOVED.. and the whole home software was still installed, etc.. but the filter, etc never moved... they were getting recordings being deleted and new ones added, etc.  Someone else without a filter.. was viewing THEIR box and changing things on it, etc.)

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

As another point of explanatio , the 8600 box will not be part of the WHPVR network as the software will not support it.  Only the 9628 and 8642 will participate in the WHPVR setup.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

@Lurker wrote:

As another point of explanatio , the 8600 box will not be part of the WHPVR network as the software will not support it.  Only the 9628 and 8642 will participate in the WHPVR setup.

yikes, that's not good!  I just had my boxes installed today - a Nextbox 3.0 and 2 Explorer 8600s with another appointment scheduled for next week to do the Whole Home PVR thing.

so what you're saying is they brought me the wrong terminals?  Smiley Sad

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor
Just a question...did Rogers bring you the 8600's? I didn't think they sold/rented those anymore.

Either way, as far as I know, the only boxes that work with WHPVR are the NB 3 (Cisco 9625), the NB 2 (CISCO 8642) and the nextbox HD terminal (Cisco 4642). No other Rogers box will work with whpvr.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

@Lurker wrote:
Just a question...did Rogers bring you the 8600's? I didn't think they sold/rented those anymore.

Either way, as far as I know, the only boxes that work with WHPVR are the NB 3 (Cisco 9625), the NB 2 (CISCO 8642) and the nextbox HD terminal (Cisco 4642). No other Rogers box will work with whpvr.

yes, they brought me the 8600s yesterday - I've spoken to 2 different techs today and both told me that they ARE compatible - I think they've been "re-purposed" as they both say Nextbox on the front

the chattering of what sounds like the hard drive inside is driving me insane though Smiley Sad

If at all possible, would it be possible to get a PICTURE of what the box looks like?

See if its the OLD 8600... or if its the 8642s.. just with not a full model number on it or something?

But if the drive it chattering.. thats a BAD sign 😞
May be a bad hard drive... would want to get the swapped right away before you get too much saved on it.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

If at all possible, would it be possible to get a PICTURE of what the box looks like?

See if its the OLD 8600... or if its the 8642s.. just with not a full model number on it or something?

But if the drive it chattering.. thats a BAD sign 😞
May be a bad hard drive... would want to get the swapped right away before you get too much saved on it.

here's a link to a pic

http://i.imgur.com/DEE5zlT.jpg

the chattering sounds like the noise a hard drive makes when it's being written to

Thank you for that.

I dont have my 8642 anymore.. but its definately the same family...

It looks like the part which says 8600 on right, is a STICKER? like the NExtbox sticker?
Definately is the NEWER-ish generation. 

(i guess if you ever have it out.. you could look at the back/bottom.. for a sticker and see if it says a model number there.)

The rattling though, yes would concern me, personally.  That its a drive which is on its way out  eventually.
May want to get it swaped before you get too deep into anything.
Arange for a TECH visit out for them to do the swap, so they can do the software push for the whole  home while they are there.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

yes, it does appear to be a sticker where it says 8600

someone is coming next Friday to set up the WHPVR - I'm accumulating quite a list of things for him to look into - the hard drive noise, as well as an error message "This channel is currently not available - Please try again later."  If all 3 of the boxes (3.0 plus 2 8600s) are tuned to the same channel when this occurs, all 3 do this at the exact same time.  Since the boxes aren't networked yet then it must be the cable coming into the house?  Or a splitter?

I moved to Rogers from Starchoice and now I'm having second thoughts.  Hopefully this is an easy fix and I will be a satisfied customer soon Smiley Happy

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

The Nextboxes need a better signal than previous boxes. Be sure the tech checks signal strength to all three when tuned to the same channel. He may need to rearrange splitters or add a booster.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Agreed with what @OLDYELLR said.

That message often comes up, when the signal level is not quite at good enough for the boxes.

I have had the whole whome since the first week it was available.  That was with the 8642 and the 4642 only at the time.. now swapped out the 8642 for a 9865.
While i dont use it DAILY.. i have had next to no issues ever runing stuff from the other boxes, etc.
BUT.. my house signal.. due to some issues a few years back.. had MANY techs in, lines outside replaced, etc.. my signals are prety much BANG on perfect here.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

thanks for the encouragement

right now I'm just chalking it up to a poor quality technician - in fact, he left a checklist of things he claims to have done and he didn't do half of them - at the top of the list is "I started by reviewing your order and the work that needed to be done" and he checked that off - he most certainly did NOT do that or he would have known that he also was supposed to set up the WHPVR as well

or maybe he DID know that but didn't want to do all that extra work Smiley Frustrated

Yeah, there can be hit and miss on techs that you get sometimes 😞

Generally lately i have had really good ones.. but i also have the Rogers home security, which requires a different set of techs to make sure its configured properly.. so its possible they are trained better, etc.

The same guy i have got the last few times, went through everything.. showed me the signal readings on his laptop and meters, etc.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Lurker wrote:

Whelp, I goofed.

I confused the8600 ( a box i've never seen or heard of) with the old Explorer 8300.

The 8300 does NOT work with WHPVR.  The 8600 may very well work, as it has the same form factor as the 8642  and 4642.

My apologies for the confusion.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

My WHPVR was set up today - same installer as last week - he said when I lose a channel with the message ""This channel is currently not available - Please try again later." " that it isn't a signal issue, that it's a digital video issue that "Rogers knows about and is working on" - colour me confused because all of my research says it's a signal issue...either way, I don't have much confidence in recording anything for fear of losing the channel as it's recording

Also - last week when the cable & phone was installed, he put in a splitter with one line going to the phone modem, and the other to the TVs and internet

Now with the WHPVR set up, I see the splitter is no longer there - he put in a new line from outside - one line goes to the phone modem, leaving the other line for the TVs and internet

And I don't see anything that looks like a moca filter, unless it's outside?

Hopefully this was all done correctly - I really don't like having to tell an expert that he did something wrong Smiley Embarassed

ETA:  in reading other threads, I see that it's quite possible the moca filter was installed in the Rogers box on the side of my house, so things might be fine in that regard Smiley Tongue

The MOCA filter.. looks like a long.. probably... 4-5" long silver cylinder, with cable connectors on both sides, not much wider than a regular coax cable.

its quite possible, that its installed outside.  Likely a splitter there.. then POSSIBLY a MOCA filter on the one that comes in for the TV splitter inside. (hopefully)

Still kind of odd, that the internet is on the tv side of it.. rather than a split with the home phone.

While it IS possible back end.. that one can get it, and one cant.. same software.. shows it is a signal issue

BEST way to check/compare.. would be to go into the tv diagnostics.. and check the signal for that channel on both TVs.
hold down EXIT till the light blinks.. then press the down arrow twice... then 2.
(i forget which screen the signal strength is on).

Compare this between the two boxes.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

The MOCA filter.. looks like a long.. probably... 4-5" long silver cylinder, with cable connectors on both sides, not much wider than a regular coax cable.

its quite possible, that its installed outside.  Likely a splitter there.. then POSSIBLY a MOCA filter on the one that comes in for the TV splitter inside. (hopefully)

Still kind of odd, that the internet is on the tv side of it.. rather than a split with the home phone.

While it IS possible back end.. that one can get it, and one cant.. same software.. shows it is a signal issue

BEST way to check/compare.. would be to go into the tv diagnostics.. and check the signal for that channel on both TVs.
hold down EXIT till the light blinks.. then press the down arrow twice... then 2.
(i forget which screen the signal strength is on).

Compare this between the two boxes.

The MOCA filter could be part of another device.

When I had WHPVR installed, once the tech was gone, I went down to check his work.  It appeared he didn't install any additional equipment on the line.

Then I took a closer look at the existing splitter/booster...apparantly, its also a MOCA filter as well.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

I got some signal readings from one of the troublesome channels (74 - sportsnet):

when it was working:

frequency  777

dBmV  -9

dB 34

and when I lost the picture with "this channel is not available...":

frequency 489

dBmV -9

dB 34

as you can, the only number that changes is the frequency - I'm sure that means something, I just don't know what

side note - I see someone just posted on twitter with the same problem, so I'm watching to see if any additional info comes of it

Are you able to do the same readings on the GOOD TV which can get it?

Guessing that -9 dbm will be higher on the other TV..