NextBox removes scheduled recordings, and other issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

NextBox removes scheduled recordings, and other issues

So, we had an "interesting" time with our NB 2 last night. Recording two shows and watching a third when it came up and said there was a viewing conflict (we were half way through the recorded show). Complained about HDABC and the two shows we were recording. Nothing we could do would stop it so my wife watched TV upstairs on the old PVR and I went on the computer.

After about an hour we checked again and all channels were black on the TV screen but could watch a recorded program.

Checking today it looks like we got 12 hours and 5 minutes of a program from yesterday night but that was it. Also, we've noticed that all of our regular scheduled recordings from Sunday are now gone. We still have recordings set for Saturdays and Mondays though.

We rebooted the machine and will just wait to see what it does next.

Now I know why the call it the "nextbox", because that is what you should do - don't buy this one way for the next one Smiley Wink

***Edited labels***

Re: NextBox removes scheduled recordings, and other issues

@DragonsOfWine wrote:

So, we had an "interesting" time with our NB 2 last night. Recording two shows and watching a third when it came up and said there was a viewing conflict (we were half way through the recorded show). Complained about HDABC and the two shows we were recording. Nothing we could do would stop it so my wife watched TV upstairs on the old PVR and I went on the computer.

After about an hour we checked again and all channels were black on the TV screen but could watch a recorded program.

Checking today it looks like we got 12 hours and 5 minutes of a program from yesterday night but that was it. Also, we've noticed that all of our regular scheduled recordings from Sunday are now gone. We still have recordings set for Saturdays and Mondays though.

We rebooted the machine and will just wait to see what it does next.

Now I know why the call it the "nextbox", because that is what you should do - don't buy this one way for the next one Smiley Wink

1. "nothing we could do would stop it" -- that is strange. The conflict alert does (stupidly and unncessarily) pop up when the 2nd of 2 recorings starts if you are watching a previously recorded program at the same time, but it can usually be cleared by choosing to cancel the channel that is not either of the 2 being recorded.
  2.  "After about an hour we checked again and all channels were black on the TV screen but could watch a recorded program." -- don't know about that. The only thing I can think of is that the box rebooted, and was doing the 5-8 minute "loading.." thing but allowing you access to your LIST of previously recorded programs.
  3.  "Checking today it looks like we got 12 hours and 5 minutes of a program from yesterday night but that was it." -- holy cow! 12 hours (and 5 minutes) of 1 program?!! What kind of program was that?!! Did you perhaps means 12m05sec?
  4.  "we've noticed that all of our regular scheduled recordings from Sunday are now gone. We still have recordings set for Saturdays and Mondays though." -- I have experienced this too, a few times over the years - completely random and without any logical explanation.
  5.  "Now I know why the call it the "nextbox", because that is what you should do - don't buy this one way[sic] for the next one Smiley Wink" -- Nextbox2 is actually "OLDBOX 8642HD, with a new logo on the front and a larger HD inside", so the naming was a bit of a con. In any case, its predecessor, the Nextbox3, is apparently not without issues. But good effort on the joke!

1) every time we selected to cancel HDABC it would come back again in less than a minute.

2) Nope, it didn't reboot - we got the 12 hours of TV recorded with no gaps at all.

3) on checking today Sunday recordings are back again.

4) Nope, 12 hours. We watched (out of it) "Once upon a time - preview show", "Once upon a time", "Resurrection" and "Revenge". After that the device was too slow to watch anymore in that massive file so we just deleted the rest of it.

5) Yup, I was suckered by the con.

I've Been Around

All but tomorrow's scheduled recordings have poof* disappeared. They still show in series but not by title or date. Nextbox2. What the what? Rebooted, nada. ???!!!