NextBox PVR and Reciever question.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

NextBox PVR and Reciever question.

I have 1 PVR, 2 receivers setup under the NEXTBOX/Whole home PVR system.

I PVR stuff on the one box, but it seems when I try to watch stuff on one of the recievers, the screen goes blank after trying to play it, and all I hear is the 'live TV' audio.

If I try to fast foward, or pause, I get a 'no tricks allowed' message.

Not to mention, this morning, I noticed that two programs I had PVRed  yesterday, where suddenly missing (I had everything set to --KEEP til I delete--.  

Then a episode of The Rifleman that I recorded this morning, and the PVR did a reboot in the last 10 minutes of, wouldnt play.

Anyone got any ideas?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NextBox PVR and Reciever question.

I have seen that sometimes the boxes loose contact with the PVR sometimes... if you havent rebooted those boxes manually, i would do that..

Never seen the 'no tricks allowed' message..

I know the boxes communicating, if VERY reliant on signal strength.  SO if there is a weaker signal to some of the boxes, could cause some issues.

Though from your other issues with the PVR.. it sounds like you could be having some hardware/drive trouble there possibly on it. (which is what streams to the others.)

I Plan to Stick Around

I think I will be calling Rogers support soon. It's been exactly a week and the PVR function seems to wipe recordings out as fast as I can make them.

Last night, and this morning however was a "new" trick... status lights, its turned on, but nothing playing. Had to unplug it 3 times in the the last 8 hours just to do anything. And I mean rpowe on remote, NOR the box would work even tho the box indicator showed on.

Starting to think this 'upgrade' was a waste of time... effort, and money.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

DOes sound like your PVR may be flaking out.. or at min had a bad software update.
The pvr should not be loosing recordings, unless the box is almost full and is set to wipe when needed... or that there is say a hard drive issue, etc..

Other than say.. once every 3 months maybe, i need to reboot one of the boxes to fix it... i GENERALY have had good luck with the whole home pvr aspect.
(yes, i have had some of the issues that generaly plague the nexbox software)

But the whole home aspect has always tended to work for me at least... able to view from other TVs just fine, set recording from there, etc.  Only issue was VERY early, when it wouldnt always talk.. which i had rogers come out, and install a booster as the signal to that remote room was WEAK and having issues communicating.  Booster solved the problem.

I Plan to Stick Around

xit reports as 1% or -1%... and restarts seem to be most often after a PvR events. however I have seen 4 recording from a remote box saved over 5 Or so hours.. When I go to watch... gone.
I Plan to Stick Around

Old post, however I wanted to do a follow up while this was on my mind.

Within a month I had another technician out, he replaced the PVR, checked the lines, I think he even replaced one.  Double checked the line strengths, etc.

I've had no issues with the system since.  

"No tricks allowed" seems to happen when you try to get a regular reciever to do pause, rewind, fast forward (and record without a PVR being recognised)

Occassionally the receiver DOES seem sluggish when accessing the PVR, but this could be any number of factors, including signal strength, how many are accessing the PVR, etc. 

We do need to do a reboot still once every 2 months, when the selection 'curser' seems to flake out when you go to flip/scroll to the next page of recorded programs.  This is however managable (only really happens in the 'By Program' tab.  

Quick fix is to browse either by channel, or PVR.. it just sorts it decending/ascending instead (visa versa)

Longer fix, is to unplug, and let it do a fresh bootstrap.

I'm an Advisor

Hello,
The cursor seems to 'flip out' on my box in "By Programs" if something is erased, and we try to move to the next page without waiting for the list of titles to be updated/rereshed (wait for the thing you deleted to be removed from the list).

Could this be what is happening to you?

Glad to hear that the PVR is working better now!