Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

A Navigatr enhancement will be deployed in October/November 2016.  Once you have received the updated Navigatr software and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

We'll continue to gather your feedback and circulate it with the appropriate parties within the company.  As a reminder, changes to the latest version of Navigatr can be found here.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

468 REPLIES 468

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Anyplace web and android version access  unable to access NB3 - related to upgrade?

Wasn't sure where to post this one - so many of the Anyplace TV posts are related to the home version on apple devices.

I tried this evening to access anyplace TV to see how it is functioning with the new deployment.

I was unable to log in.  If I logged into the web page, the manage PVR icon was not there.

Logged out, it was there.  When I clicked on the icon, it took me to the log in, and then the following message came up.

"

We seem to be experiencing some difficulties. Please try signing in again at a later time. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Anyone else experience this - I have had other times when I could not get in and then at a later point able to get in.  Been a few hours now and I can't access the manage PVR, and can't access on my Android home version app either.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

@BS

Yup. I am getting the same thing. It seems to be like any other service offered by rogers - hit and miss at best. 

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersRoland

I have never looked forward to anything with navigatr and having recieved the new update, I still find it very much lacking. I am not sure what would fix this other than a complete break with espial and a completely new guide. 

I agree absolutely 100% with your "hit & miss" comment...except for the "hit" part.

DCB316
I Plan to Stick Around

Ditto...the IOS app Home Edition won't login either...

Nice Rogers...roll out an incomplete, broken product.

Smooth...

Not cool man...not cool.

Hello all,

I circled back with RogersHelps on twitter, and they are now saying "We have identified an issue with the Anyplace TV service. We are having our technicians look into this matter...".

So - they are aware and are working on it.  I'll post back when I get an update.

@RogersRoland

Thx for the info, but a bit late.  

Got the new version in the wee hours last night, here in Mississauga.

BTW what's the big deal about being able to do a multi delete??

It was a main Rogers selling point of the original disastergatr.

But, is it really needed, wanted ?

BTW #2 when I go to channel 179, the news TV mix, it often get stuck on the audio of the 1st channel, RT, when I click over to one of the other little onscreen boxes. 

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@park  We got ours in the middle of the night at around 2:00.  My wife was just falling asleep on the couch and it woke her.  She is not sure how many reboots it did and since she was asleep, she never saw the preview descriptions of changes.

I am actually in agreement with you on the multiple delete - I didn't actually use it on my first Nextbox 2 or first Nextbox 3, so not really a big deal to me either, but obviously some people liked it as many were quite persistent that it be returned.

I have always had problems with those group show type channels loading anything in a timely way, but just check them all, and they populated almost immediately after a brief loading message.  I generally have never used the feature - have no use for it.

Rogers Grid would not load at all (the sports channels), and I noticed that the long standing box in the bottom of TV Mix-News that says For more HD program on demand press B is still there, although it has not had any function for a long time.  You would think that at some points someone would drop that graphic, but guess it got lost in the bug list, long time ago as it has been raised before.  Just thought I would mention it since I was looking at the channel.

One last old glitch, has been mentioned before, but not highlighted in the summary list of issues, but discussed in the thread is the saved list for On-Demand shows - if you select the show, and click FAV, it will put a star beside the selection, and if you then press B, you will see the saved list, and the shows, and a play all or delete choice.  But as before, once you exit out of On-Demand the play list is now empty and never permanently saved.  What is the point of a play list that lasts only while you are on-demand.  Just mentioning.

If there is ever to be a minor upgrade, maybe some of these little things can be dealt with too. Either make the play list work and save in memory, or get rid of it.  It emulates the Netflix and other models of shows marked for future viewing, so you can get to them easily, but someone missed a step in the programming - save the list in memory for future access. Not uncommon to miss a simple item like this, but please deal with it.

Looks like there are still some key items that are missing to be dealt with, in particular some useful and easy access to details of shows and channels in all locations of list or tiles.

Bruce

To each their own

Brt
I Plan to Stick Around

I received the update today as well and am far from impressed. Fewer tiles and an epic fail on the list view are among the biggest disappointments. I've only been using it for a couple of hours now and I've already stumbled on a new "bug" .....

I was watching a show and had to take a break so I returned to live tv. When I came back to it and selected the "Resume" option, I was surprised to see that it started playing about 6-8 minutes ealier than where I left off. I tried it again a few minutes later by choosing a different channel, and it again resumed to an earlier place in the program.

Unbelieveable!

Let the ALPHA TESTING RESUME!

Cheers,

Brett

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

I seriously think that they are going full steam ahead with the IPTV product.Think of this "update" as some lipstick fro the pig and the next course of action will be to migrate the masses over to the next platform.Seriously a few times a week I have to go into the guide and reset it to show subscribed channels only.For the love of god get a high school computer class to at least fix that since the "developers" can't.

stevebirnie
I'm Here A Lot

Well, my 3.0 PVR attempted to download the update Saturday night/Sunday morning, and it has apparently fried my PVR. I turned it on early Sunday evening and it spent 12 hours shutting down and rebooting over and over again. A couple of times the TV would come on for a couple of minutes and then shut down again. So it appears I've lost all of  my recordings, and of course I couldn't record Walking Dead on Sunday night.

The extra special part is that NO Rogers stores has a replacement one I can exchange my useless box for. I called Rogers and they said they would send a technician out with a replacement. He showed up last night at 5 PM just to tell me that HE doesn't have any replacement 3.0s and didn't know when he would. So I am PVR-less. Wonderful.

Hello @stevebirnie,

Try unplugging the NextBox, waiting a few hours, then plugging it back in again. Sometimes, that does the trick. 

Questions:

- Right before the box reboots, what code is displayed on the front screen of the PVR?

- Have you requested an NextBox HD terminal (non-PVR) so that you can watch TV?

- Have you contacted Customer Care to make a complaint re: not being able to obtain a replacement PVR?

Alternatively:

Have you visited the "Share a Concern" page? https://www.rogers.com/web/RogersServices.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=shareAConcern.

-- Your complaint will be automatically escalated, and a written response is provided within 48-72 hours.

-- Remember to provide much detail as possible (the problem, who you spoke with, what they said, etc). 

Good luck and please let us know how you make out. 

Hi Robin. Thanks for the reply. Regarding your questions:

I tried unplugging it. That didn't help.

-First on the PVR it displays something like 'Cd00' and shortly after that a large digital count to 100 appears on the TV screen. When that finishes the PVR says 'boot.' It stays like that for a while then shuts off completely, and can't be turned back on (no clock display either). Finally the whole process starts again.

Twice the the normal boot sequence appeared--a count up to five appears on the PVR, then a small counter to 100% appeared in the bottom right hand corner of the TV. Then the TV came on like normal. But it only stayed on for less than five minutes, then the PVR shut down completely and the process I described above happens again.

-I have an NextBoxHD terminal already. However, my main motivation for having a PVR is that I can't watch programs at their air time--I have a job, kids that have to be taken to activities, etc. That's the whole point of having a PVR right? Because you can't watch TV programs as they air.

- Yes I called them. All they could tell me is that a 'senior technician' would call me within 24 to 48 hours of when the technician showed up yesterday--so by 6 PM tomorrow.

I called Rogers stores in Brampton and Mississauga today, and they told me that none of the stores in either of those cities have 3.0 boxes. So basically no Rogers store within a 50km radius of me has one.

I'll try that link, but I'm not optimistic. Meanwhile, I lost all my recordings, have missed on recording eight shows and counting, and at least two of those shows are not available On Demand. And I'm paying $17.50/mth to rent this non-existent box.

Would have been nice if Rogers had made sure this new 'upgrade' was compatible with all their boxes.

-

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stevebirnie:

Many times these sorts of issues are associated with a low signal, either in your home or in your neighbourhood.  It's rarely the box itself.  Call Rogers and have them check the signal at your home/neighbourhood.  If you have other boxes in your home, check those signals too, but the NB3 is the one that needs the "best" signal, so the fact that another box works doesn't mean that the NB3 will.

Also, with the firmware rollout, there can be issues at the head end causing an incomplete firmware download to your box, especially if signal is marginal.

If you have any splitters in your home and you can temporarily remove them, or move the NB3 closer to the demarcation point in your home, that may also be a good test.

JonBoy49
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Same here - I am also having issues just signing in. Rogers forced us to change password the other day (as part of trying to resolve why "magically" we could no longer access our previous bills) and ever since then the sign in does not work until I click on the user name as if I wanted to sign out.

Rogers - the flag carrier for the business philosophy of one step forward, two back.

Hello @stevebirnie,

- I reached out to a contact at Rogers - he confirmed what you were already told, and said the next step was for a senior technician to visit and check signal levels (as stated by @57).

- I totally understand about the work/kids part.  I posted something yesterday which shows that we have 184 recorded programs to view - we are in the same boat.

- I still encourage you to visit the "Share a Concern" page, complete the form, and wait for a reply - this will be the quickest way to have your issue escalated, and will help you in asking for compensation for issues/downtime (starting with the $17.50/month for a non-existent PVR).

Let us know what the technician finds - I am hopeful it is something like poor signal that the tech can fix for you.

molly222
I Plan to Stick Around

I've now counted 6 people on this forum that have had this exact same scenario happen in the past 4 or 5 days (which means there are many more, just not on this forum).  Why do NO rogers stores in the GTA, Mississauga, Brampton, Newmarket, or Durham area have NB3's?  Are they being discontinued?  Why would Rogers send out a tech, make you wait the 4 hour window, have the guy show up and say "sorry I don't have any boxes ".  I would hope at the very least the tech checked your signal while he was there.  Why would Rogers do a MAJOR software rollout, which they know will fry some of the boxes, when they know they have no boxes in stock to replace them with?  Someone in another thread regarding this issue, said it best "the level of incompetence is staggering".

OK I have three issues here:

-when I called tech support, they were able to send a signal to the box. If the signal is so poor, why could they do that?

-why didn't the two people in tech support I spoke to suggest this? Why didn't they instruct the technician to check this? Instead they both said I needed to get a new (non-existent) box.

-I have already had poor signal addressed in my home a couple of years ago. And I have the sneaking suspicion that, if they decide that's the issue again, it's going to cost me money.

Hello @stevebirnie,

To answer your questions:

- A perfect signal is not required for Rogers to send the 'test signal' to your box.

- Technical support can check signal levels remotely, and send a technician *if required*.  That said, the technician who visited should have checked cabling and signal strength/quantity regardless (every technician who has ever visited me has performed these tests, even if their work order didn't require it).

- Rogers covers the costs of fixes/repairs to your cabling and equipment. This includes replacing cabling, boosters, amplifiers, splitters, etc.  

--Exception: if the customer made changes that negatively impacted the setup, that customer would be charged for repairs.

Finally, please remember that this is a user-to-user forum.  I am a cable customer - just like you - and can't fully explain the thinking/reasoning of Rogers.  I strongly recommend that you contact Rogers at 1-888-ROGERS-1 (or Twitter via @RogersHelps, or eChat via www.rogers.com) and ask these questions directly -- it sounds to me like you are owed an official explanation.

Let us know how things turn out for you!

1 ) when I called tech support, they were able to send a signal to the box. If the signal is so poor, why could they do that?

Seeing the box, able to send a reset signal, etc to the box is one thing.  That just means that it is connected enough to see still that it is there.
That doesnt mean necessarily that its a GOOD signal.  It could be a poor enough signal, that it just can not download the update fast enough, etc.
(think of it like when you get into a POOR reception area with a cellphone.  Yeah, facebook may load.. but take forever.. some images not load, etc)

2 )why didn't the two people in tech support I spoke to suggest this? Why didn't they instruct the technician to check this? Instead they both said I needed to get a new (non-existent) box.

The default, and personally WAY to often choice is to swap the box.
Normally, while there is stock on things, this usually isnt an issue.. and often a quick/easy way (and cheaper than sending a tech).
BUT.. it doesnt always address the root cause of the problem.
Every tech that is coming out, should be checking the signal.. if they are not, they are not doing their jobs in my opinion.

3 ) I have already had poor signal addressed in my home a couple of years ago. And I have the sneaking suspicion that, if they decide that's the issue again, it's going to cost me money.

Now this, all depends on WHAT is causing the signal issue.
Again, this is where a tech needs to be doign their job.  Check the signal right at the box connection.  then move down the line. At the spliter.  Where it comes into the house.  At the street.   See where the issue is.
That will all make a difference on what needs to be replaced.

Now, as long as its not an issue introduced by YOU, you should not be charged.  That you put in your own splitters, causing interfearance, etc, you should not be charged.

I had a street issue a number of years ago, in which  ended up being a street line issue... i had about 3 techs a week for almost a month out, and not a single charge.

Well, we will see if/when I hear from the senior Technician if he offers to do this.

A story about technicians and weak signals: It has actually been twice that I've had technicians in to address issues with poor signals. Both were internet related, actually. The first time, the technician split a cable that came into a room in one corner of my home and proceeded to string 100 feet of cable around my kitchen, two door frames, into my living room and halfway along the living room, nailing it to the kitchen wainscotting and then the living room baseboards. It looked hideous. When the issue recurred about a year later, the new tech tore all of that out and boosted the signal to the cable that came directly into my living room somehow. It's been much better since.

Needless to say, my faith in the technicians that Rogers sent out is shaky.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?