NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

@abc101 The use of the VCR type controls on the On Demand channels (in particular the broadcase channels), are generally turned off (an announcement at the start tells us this).  In the past, some channels had them turned off, some didn't.  It is up to the broadcaster that licenses it to Rogers whether we have access to the FF and so forth.

Wouldn't want us to be able to avoid the commercials - that is their other source of income.

But I rarely ever use On Demand, I record my shows almost exclusely now, and go On Demand when a recording fails.  It drives me nuts when I all of a sudden realize I can't skip a channel. And yes, definitely a real pain when I miss something, don't understand the voice, or lose my focus, because I can't rewind and fast forward - we can at least do that live, so I have always wished we could do the same on On-Demand - but only reason I can see is got to make us watch the commercials - or get up and go the bathroom, get something to eat, etc.Smiley Happy

Hope that clarifies.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@kvkvkv Thanks for the clarifications - definitely, as @57 indicated, the changes from the SATA boxes to the first few versions of Nextbox, to what we now have, the changes are almost endless to list.  The changes on the Nextbox are endless too.

And you would be hard pressed to find many who say they were happy with the changes.  We just learned to live with them - what else could we do.  You are late on the rant process - we have all been through it and I agree fully with you that in so many ways, it was a step backwards.

An extremely big flop on the part of Rogers and its suppliers, that will be remembered by many, and boy do hope they can avoid this mess when they go comcast in 2 years.

The one I am not seeing though, although I don't channel surf either - the grid is just faster, and I like @57, just record all my shows now anyway - there is the space to do that on the new boxes;

Is seeing unsubscribed channels if I surf up one channel - I don't see the unsuscribed channel, but nothing surprises me on these boxes.

But we are stuck with them, and be glad you have your old SATA boxes - many still do and it would be tough to pull them out of their dead cold hands.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@park

When I was writing what I wrote, it is based upon some research of Cisco, Technicolour, Comcast, and IPTV.

The Nextbox is certainly IPTV capabable, but can we expect that Rogers will contract Comcast (or will Comcast even be willing to do it) to do work on the Cisco Nextbox's with Navigatr.  I would kind of doubt it.  Comcasts model is similiar to that of the Microsoft platfomr used with Bell - The back end is Microsoft, and Bell has spent almost 6 years developing their boxes and PVR model,s and now can run it on Apple boxes, and if it can be done on an Apple box, it can be done on any of the others like Android, or Roku and so forth.  It is just an app that gets authorized to run the Bell IPTV.

This is the same model that Comcast does too - they have their own backend, and their own box, but haven't worked with Cisco in 6 years from what I could find.  

So I have trouble seeing that Comcast would contract with Cisco or Technicolour to make the current box compatable with their model.  Just my observations and opinions.  And who knows where setbox techology will be in 2018 - cloud PVR is coming rapidly too as an option, as well as things live live streams of your dog playing in the back yard sent to your TV in the house to be viewed there - (see Comcasts video at http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/xfinity-tvs-next-generation-x1-platform-the-...), as well as interactive game playing and other goodies depending upon whether companies what to go that route and have a market for it.

Voice recognition, you name it, it is there.

So that is why I think that we may not be seeing the Nextboxes being adapted to Comcast, but they certainly have the capability - it is just a matter if Technolocolour really wants to do it - it appears that Cisco or Cisco qualified techs, contracted in saved the mess that came out two years ago and when they tried to get it to work on IPTV, it didn't scale (probably the back end, and cable infrastructure more than the box, as they claim it was good on the internal testing).

So what to do with our purchased boxes.

For me, I won't be selling my one - I don't have a replacement, so would just be renting one back from Rogers - why bother.

Would there be a market to recover the price we paid (in my case, it was rent to own with the first two frees, no rental fees, so I really didn't pay much for it anyway).

Whether you decide to sell them, I leave up to your to think about - if I was switching companies, definitely I would sell them, worth a try, someone may want an extra box for their home tv viewing or an extra PVR for more recording.

So sorry if any confusion was made by my "preminitions".  I have found nothing official about what is happening other than the news article back a month or so ago telling us that the move to IPTV on the existing frameworks could not scale and was dead and waiting for Comcast by 2018.

But has Rogers said anything else - would you really expect them to, they have rarely said anything in the past.

The announcement is more a financial fudiciary statement to shareholders, nothing for us as customers.

Who knows what will come, but good question.

Guess we just wait and see, but for now, you have two boxes you don't have to pay for, I have one, so overall costs at this point are a bit lower which is always nice - until they increase prices again - the big player in competition just announced increases in their prices, but I am locked at this price for 8 more months.

Ahh Rogers - we are always left in the dark, and digging the data and reports has always been fun to see how close I can come to predicting the future - Certainly, we have heard nothing of any changes to come on our current boxes since back in Oct/Nov and I am not expecting to see anything.  All the remaining issues are mostely cosmetic, user preference, and can all be worked around (thanks everyone here for finding the workarounds an posting them - we have pretty much documented and provided the usage manuals that never came.

Well, it is early for me today, did sleep, and now off to an appointment.

Always enjoy talking to you Park.

Bruce

abc101
I'm Here A Lot

@BS wrote:

@abc101 The use of the VCR type controls on the On Demand channels (in particular the broadcase channels), are generally turned off (an announcement at the start tells us this).  In the past, some channels had them turned off, some didn't.  It is up to the broadcaster that licenses it to Rogers whether we have access to the FF and so forth.

Thanks Bruce.

I did notice for one show I was able to Rew, sort of (Kim's Convenience, CBC), but not on Designated Survivor (CTV).

kvkvkv
I Plan to Stick Around

another downgrade with the new software is that the guide no longer shows how many stars ( 1 to 4 ) a movie is rated. i wish they would bring that back.

fae45
I've Been Here Awhile

I know 'exit' will remove the playback progress message bar that blocks the bottom part of the screen when resuming playback of a recorded show, but having to do this everyt ime  show is paused or fast forwarded is a real pain. Surely there is a setting that can reduce or eliminate the time this bar stays on the screen.

First, I see no useful purpose for this being there in the first place. Having resumed the playback, I want to see the show, not how far through the recording I am. I can find that out any time by pausing, and anyway it was just on the screen during the pause or fast forward! To not switch this bar off immediately when resuming play is just a very stupid programming decision, IMHO.

Second, I know it is possible to access the service screen (hold 'exit'-power flashes-down-down-2) but does anyone know where to find the setting to reduce the time this progress bar blocks the screen after resuming playback? 

Thanks

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@fae45 wrote:

Second, I know it is possible to access the service screen (hold 'exit'-power flashes-down-down-2) but does anyone know where to find the setting to reduce the time this progress bar blocks the screen after resuming playback? 

Thanks

This is not a user-configurable setting.

The service screens are purely there to present diagnostic information and don't give access to any special configuration options.

fae45
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Lurker. Guess I just have to live with this the way Cisco/Rogers have it set up. (Hmmm, don't know how this ended up posting inside this thread, but thanks for noticing it.)
toolcubed
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Anyone know (Rogers employee?) if TV service will also improve with the implementation of Docsis 3.1? Or will the improvement be strictly with internet?
robindp
I'm an Advisor

Hello @toolcubed,

The DOCSIS 3.1 implementation won't have an impact on your cable TV, and will only effect your Internet connection.