Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

A Navigatr enhancement will be deployed in October/November 2016.  Once you have received the updated Navigatr software and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

We'll continue to gather your feedback and circulate it with the appropriate parties within the company.  As a reminder, changes to the latest version of Navigatr can be found here.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

468 REPLIES 468

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Ruth1997
I've Been Here Awhile

Scroll? You can scroll? How do you scroll? I've never been able to do this in either the old or new version of navigatr.

Also, Why oh, why is the channel number not shown on recorded programs? 

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

You can scroll up and down in the list view, but not from right to left or visa versa, some areas you still cannot scroll, while in things like settings you can scroll.

And yes, you are raising one of the most repeated concerns, the lack of channel, and now even reduced information on shows in the PVR listings.

I feel you pain.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ruth1997:

Check out the following link for a summary of the new features of the latest Navigatr firmware, as well as a list of items that have not been completed:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

You can see channel information if you use AnyPlace on a computer/tablet/phone. See the following link on that topic:

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/anyplace-tv/410?setLanguage=en

By using AnyPlace instead of the PVR, you can search the IPG much more easily and the search results are much more useful. It's also much easier to review your existing recordings or scheduled recordings using AnyPlace, since more information, like channel number, is available for these recordings

Ruth1997
I've Been Here Awhile

Isn't it a bit rediculous that the box that I rent (the PVR) can't tell me the channel it recorded?

Just more work for the customer. 

Also, what's IPG?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ruth1997 wrote:

Isn't it a bit rediculous that the box that I rent (the PVR) can't tell me the channel it recorded?

Just more work for the customer. 

Also, what's IPG?

It will tell you the channel when you play the recording. It's at the top left of the screen.

IPG - Interactive Programme Guide (the guide).

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Using search in our Nextbox Navigtr software compared to Rogers Anyplace TV (or as identified on the URL: RogersOnDemand.com)

We did a search for a TMN movie just released today and were going to record it on the PVR from TMN 1 channel 312, but were late - since we don't have that wonderful feature of the other carrier - restart -, we rely on search to find a show at other times.

Well, we used the Nextbox search - returned the one result - the one we were already late on channel 312 TMN 1

Well, we went to the Anyplace TV, opened the manage PVR (did run into an old bug though - sometimes you get a bad page link have to clear Rogers Anyplace cookies (not the whole cache), or do as I did and switch to another browser.

From their, we did a search for Hail Ceasar - returned 39 times over the 4 TMN stations to choose from over the next 3 days.  Picked one two hours later on different TMN station.

This is a major flaw in the search in Navigtr and makes it basically useless when you want a full listing of all available times and stations. We got the one choice of the same time on a second TMN channel - useless result.

And nice thing is you select the desired one out of the list of 39 showings, and you set up your recording directly form the search - you can do this from the box too in terms of recording or reminder or series set up, but I did another one - designated survivor on Dec 14th, lots listed from On Demand earlier in the season, but only one station choice and time choice, none of time shift channels we are subscribed to.  Use the anyplace search on manage PVR - we get all different channels, SD and HD, and different times that day to choose from.

Major flaw in the search engine, has been mentioned from the time that Anyplace TV came back on line as it didn't work for a while during the early implementation of the "new" Navigtr guide.  Still, Anyplace TV is an important complement to using your box efficiently.

Anyplace TV wins hands down (when it works). You can search Anyplace TV in the forum, or Internet, or on Rogers pages for more details.  Is available for tablets and phones too, doesn't work on all devices, and on some devices, you can watch some TV shows live too, as not only can you check PVR, you can see the guide in a "huge" view. And home version allows for watching live and on demand, on some devices too.

Just thought I would bring it up, as the question does still come up, and although it has been reported numerous times, has never been responded to.

Bruce

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor
This is a problem I have noticed too and it is really frustrating.

I usually try to set u my recordings each evening while sitting in front of my TV. It only makes sense if needed, to use the search feature on the box. As you mentioned, Anyplace TV is much better. However, for me it is quite inconvenient because I don't often have my computer handy.
I would love to see the box search show the alternate times and channels like it used to, but I' won't hold my breath waiting for that feature to return.

nkay
I Plan to Stick Around
I've had very few issues with the latest software, well done on the improvements.

One strange issue that is frustrating, sometimes multiple tiles are showing the same image of one show. (The same wrong picture is shown for multiple different shows) it's like there is an image caching issue. I've had to switch to the list view as it's impossible to see what shows I'm looking at when the picture is the same on multiple shows.
The show that the picture represents is watched and deleted but it appears on many other tiles now.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@jays77

I agree totally with you, not expecting it.  The box pretty much does what it needs with reasonable stability, and they did respond to most of our requests.

One of the challenges for any development team moving to a new product solution (Espial), is that while transferring current functionality from one platform to another, sometimes it is not financially viable, sometimes, not even possible, and other times just gets missed along the way, or ends up on the bottom of the priority list, often because it is not an easy solution to do.  What works on one platform design may not work as well as on an alternative platform.

So we work around it.  I do find that there really is nothing that the new design brought to us that really gives me anything important that wasn't there before - it does look prettier though, and lost a few things I liked such as full detail, channel information, and search choices, but I can live without it.

It is all beginning to become a bad dream, but it comes back once in a while - such as today, my wife and I commented, that at times we push delete and it does nothing, and then we do it a second time and it works.  Not predictable, but happens often enough to be aware of it. Little thing which we can live with.  Like I said, it brings back elements of the over year long bad dream.  Smiley Wink  But I can at least be humourous about it now and just move on.

Bruce

park
I'm an Advisor

Hi @BS

I have found that delete takes a couple seconds before it does anything.

Again yet another design flaw.

It should at least buffer your request while it does whatever it does.

It is generally slower with most commands than it should be.

Wonder how slow it is on a NB2 ?

Also notice if you try to delete a recorded program that you are part way thru watching, it won't let you.  Gotta go live or to another recording, then back to delete the program. 

It continues to live up to its name,  i.e my handle backwards.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have found that delete works differently for single and series recordings. When I stop or get/FF to the end of a series recording, the delete option is within a box about the programme. Deleting from here seems to work fine.

If I get/FF to the end, or stop a single recording, the delete option is over on the right side of the screen.  If you select delete too quickly after scrolling to it, you will need to select it a second time.  I'm almost used to selecting it twice to get to the confirm yes/no option.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks @57  That explains it perfectly!   Or then again, not.  Like a few other things in the product. And boy, this box really does have problems keeping up with the "super speedy" user inputs.  If you try to move too fast, things may freeze in some cases and you get an input memory overload.  You know, like computers can be when you get into a memory leak or overload situation.  Oh well, it bugs me, but I live with it and like you, I am almost used to delaying my input, or just deleting twice.  See, I can both change and accept change, when I have no choice but to!  Smiley Happy  If we hadn't been through so much with this whole affair, I would probably not make so many jokes now and then - part of my way of living with it.

But again, thanks for highlighting that, I still will go "huh".

Bruce

nkay
I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox 3 PVR with latest software, having a strange issue with multiple recorded show tiles are displaying the same image of one show. (The same wrong picture is shown for multiple different shows) it's like there is an image caching issue. I've had to switch to the list view as it's impossible to see what shows I'm looking at when the picture is the same on multiple show tiles.
The show that the picture represents is watched and deleted but it appears on many other tiles now. Rebooting doesn't fix.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

The images are cached.  It can be found in the diagnostics - hold esc key until power indicator on the box flashes, - push down arrow key below the Ok/Select buton - push it twice, then push the number 2.

Diagnostic screens come up - From main menu you will find +Services - push that and at the bottom you will find DVR poster art cache.  You may see that some did not get downloaded properly, or maybe not.

Now as to how to clear that cache, I would have thought a reboot may have done it, but given you did a reboot already, not sure what clears or changes the cache.

It cerntaily changes when downloads for scheduled shows change.

But I have never found any predictability about tile poster art, and many others have commented on it.

Bruce

nkay
I Plan to Stick Around
Thanks for that, but what is the "Esc" button? I have nothing called that on my remote. Too bad you can't clear the cache and reload the art.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hold Exit (on the remote) until power light flashes (on the STB).

Press down arrow twice, then press 2.

This has to be done fairly rapidly, but not too rapidly.

derekg66
I Plan to Stick Around
Having exactly the same problem with our Nextbox 3. I am tired of having to think for this box I am renting.

derekg66
I Plan to Stick Around
Having exactly the same "resume" issue here with same remarks from wife. lol. I have also come to the same conclusions as you have. Tired of having to think these issues through. Isn't this what Rogers is suppose to do for us?

kso
I Plan to Stick Around
I've noticed the poster art is there on shows, then after a reboot it would disappear on some and doesn't come back.

Rebooted again and those same shows, still not back. Everything looks fine in Cache.

But the poster art is very unpredictable.

kso
I Plan to Stick Around
7 hours later update.

After rebooting when I posted the message above, now 7 hours later I checked and poster art for everything is back.

So some art needs time (like hours) after a reboot? I suppose.

robindp
I'm an Advisor

Hello @kso,

I have the same issue - takes 4-7 hours before almost all art is back (still some missing).

I hope things get better/faster soon - Rogers: could poster art be cached on the PVR? (rather than needing to be downloaded after a reboot).

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?