NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

@PamR wrote:

I have the new RF remote and the Favourites button no longer exists! So problem can't be solved that way.

As a Rogers Cable TV customer, you can usually walk into a Rogers store and get an old remote.  It's my understanding that they are tossing the old remotes.  Just call beforehand.  It's useful to have an old remote around for the other functionality that the RF remote doesn't have.

You can also consider a Harmony or similar programmable remote if you're not needing the RF.  You can usually pick one up on sale for around $50 (model 650).  This will also properly programme any other equipment you may have.

TheArcher
I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@PamR wrote:

I have the new RF remote and the Favourites button no longer exists! So problem can't be solved that way.

As a Rogers Cable TV customer, you can usually walk into a Rogers store and get an old remote.  It's my understanding that they are tossing the old remotes.  Just call beforehand.  It's useful to have an old remote around for the other functionality that the RF remote doesn't have.

You can also consider a Harmony or similar programmable remote if you're not needing the RF.  You can usually pick one up on sale for around $50 (model 650).  This will also properly programme any other equipment you may have.

I believe PamR is mistaken. Using the new remote, the only options for repeated presses of the Guide button are  All channels and Favourites or All Channels and Subscribed. This is how it was before the latest update and it is still the same after the update. Using the older remote allows  All Channels and Subscribed (if selected) and Favourites when the Favourites button is pressed. 

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

I sure hope so. I have a SA8300SD and a SA8300HD with the old remotes, one with and one without the "D" button. When one of my DTA50 remotes failed to set up, Rogers gave me a new one, no questions asked. I sure hope they'll give me a new PVR remote like what I have instead of one of those RF ones with limited features if one of these fail.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, everbody, I think after 15 months, I can rest my push for changes in product design through the three major threads, including this one with most of my concerns considered to be resolved. I was the one who actually started the original thread back 15 months ago, when my family went, "what is this?" - that is a lot more polite than what was really said.  Within a week, this group and others through other means forced a complete freeze of implementation after one geographical area got it and we remain stuck with it until December of 2015.  It then took from then until now with I think three major build changes to get where we are now.  It has been a long hard road, many have just walked away and I thank all that stuck it through and never let go on the constant pressure for change and real communication.  Some progress has been made on the communication side, but there is still work for the new CEO to take on in that area with his teams.

I will start with the fact that I just finally got the jokes about Navigtr and it's dropped vowels. On a new comedy show tonight, they talked about dropping new vowels so the Millenials think that it is the newest next best app around.  Reference - the "great outdoors", Thursday nights. Oh, oh, another show to record.

Fancy names and glitzy looks don't make for good products unfortunately.

I do like that the GIF is finally basically the same layout across all features, I am not a big fan of the textured colour, but at least it is consistent.

The fonts and contrast are now such that I can read the screen easily, glasses on or off (I had cataract surgury right in the middle of the whole change and the first font set was impossible for me).

There seems to been some glitches with rolling such a big build out when signals are not necessarily solid either coming to the home, inside the home, or out at the hub and street level, but appears to be known and being worked on, along with the new issues being found with the new remote control.

It is clear that there is a limited stock available of boxes, not surprising since Cisco discontinued production almost 2 years ago, so yes, all boxes in the system are refurbished, so like others, I do not expect any further changes to the programming, that the focus will be on getting IPTV foundational network provisioning in place (the reason for the push to 100mbs and above), to meet the hoped demand for 4K and move to IPTV and integrated apps like is currently provided by the competitors.

I like that the commands and functionality are now pretty much consistent throughout the feature set of the PVR, ON Demand and live TV.

I would love to see the full details of the recorded and scheduled shows, including show detail, and full channel detail and length of shows.

Has anybody tested the reminder feature and how the maximum number of shows on a NB2 deals with conflicts of too many shows?  That was an outstanding concern and issue for NB2 users, legitimately so.

Minor things left like the playlist feature in On Demand not fully implemented - would be nice to have it, and can live without it, just ignore it like I always have, and the add for more on demand on the News channel with the six channels - both supposedly around for a range of versions, even back to SARA - for those who don't know the history, we have moved from scientific Atlantic Sara which some still use, to Cisco Nextbox 2 with RTN and a couple of upgrades along the way, then Nextbox 3, and then to the 15 months of development of the current iteration of the product (let's be honest, we were the testers and often even directed the progammers on what was expected - totally unpaid and costs to us in time and frustration and to Rogers in lost customers). I have lived through it all, but there are others who have a much stronger knowledge of all the changes and issues that have existed straight through.

I have seen the discussion of putting the commands at the top of the page on the list views rather than the right, but this layout is consistent throughout the command set in the whole product, so there is some rationalle to it.  We gain a consistent layout, while losing some of the view of the recorded tiles, list, and scheduled screens.

Finally, I really like how the delete all recorded shows and how it follows standard user interface clarifications defaulting to no on delete to prevent errors and to think twice whether you wish to, and I like how it then tells you that you still have scheduled shows, and if you click on scheduled shows on the right, it opens into the commands to cancel all future recordings.  Much more intuitive than it was before.

I do hope that in the future, Rogers teams have learned from this atrocious implementation of new product designs, and to be very careful about buying into the marketing and sales pitch like the one that we all got a chance to find on our own, of Espial's claim that they could integrate their interface seemlessly with legacy boxes, even saying they had successful experience with Cisco.  They need to be prepared to pull out when things go sour, like Cisco selling out and definitely they smartly pulled out on Espial and the implementation of RDK as the interface model.  This decision I suspect meant renogation and work with Cisco and its developers and integration with Espial which would add more time, as well as use Cisco's middleware to keep Espial's featureset inplace.  This all led to more time and ultimately failures, and the last biggest one was the temporary implementation of power savings features, which they pulled completely.  It appears that officially Cisco is still and active player in getting this mess cleaned up and to the state it has finally reached.

As a closing note, I do hope that Rogers seriously looks at including "real users" in the development, prototype and beta testing of their models and in considering what new providers are "selling" to them.  

The only thing that I can see as to why they were so firm on their refusal to move from the Navigtr model was probably contract committments and an inability to back out when Cisco with Technicolour now had a unified model, but as with Espial it was untested to.  And then when they did back out of RDK, they were stuck with months of work to move ahead, which ultimately also delayed the 4K PVR, and brings us almost on top of IPTV.

Whether they got caught in an unproven model and an unfortunate deal that they couldn't back out, the absolute lack of involvement of real users is a weakness which could have been prevented from day one.  When they lost recordings on the NB2 and had such a poor implementation of integration to the PVR and On Demand functionality, they had obviously not included a reasonably sized user beta test, or they knew the problems and were committed contractually and to statements made to shareholders to go forward and try to fix it up along the way - 15 months was say too long no matter what.

I thank everyone on this forum thread for all the hard work to get us here - we made a pretty good team of unhired experts and have influenced a reasonable viewing experience. It was a lot of work and frustration, and impacted the health of some along the way, but we all persisted and finally got to where we are.

Now to just enjoy our viewing experiences and we later we will see CRTC forced changes, and competetive driven changes (these will mostly be packaging and pricing changes) and technologically driven changes, and supplier changes, and with hope, they will go much more seamlessly.

Thanks, all, Bruce

mac10
I've Been Around

updated box 3.0 pvr.when u r watching a recorded show and u go to live tv or u interrupt that show for any reasonand then u go back to the recorded show it's no longer at the spot where u stopped watching it.u have to go back to the list,find the show and start at the beginning everytime.sucks i want to be able to start watching from where i left off.

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@BS wrote:

I thank everyone on this forum thread for all the hard work to get us here - we made a pretty good team of unhired experts and have influenced a reasonable viewing experience. It was a lot of work and frustration, and impacted the health of some along the way, but we all persisted and finally got to where we are.

Now to just enjoy our viewing experiences and we later we will see CRTC forced changes, and competetive driven changes (these will mostly be packaging and pricing changes) and technologically driven changes, and supplier changes, and with hope, they will go much more seamlessly.

Except not all of us have the update yet. I'm in Richmond Hill and am still waiting.... 

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

@mac10 wrote:

updated box 3.0 pvr.when u r watching a recorded show and u go to live tv or u interrupt that show for any reasonand then u go back to the recorded show it's no longer at the spot where u stopped watching it.u have to go back to the list,find the show and start at the beginning everytime.sucks i want to be able to start watching from where i left off.

Not sure what you're talking about the resume feature is there after you have watched a couple of minutes of a show.Used it  and it works fine

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I did read, either on this forum or another, of one user saying the same thing.. they couldnt resume..

But many others with the update, being able to just fine.

Not sure if this is a BUG that maybe some are encountering? Or that that its just a case of resuming it wrong?

User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@yyz64 wrote:

@mac10 wrote:

Not sure what you're talking about the resume feature is there after you have watched a couple of minutes of a show.Used it  and it works fine

For your own recordings, I believe there is a 2 minute buffer once you start watching. If you STOP the recording within the 2 minutes, the only choices you have to restart are WATCH or DELETE. As suggested, watch for more than 2 minutes, then stop the program and see what happens.  You should get RESUME - RESTART - (MORE) -

&  DELETE.

If you are using VOD, it is will PAUSE and PLAY like a VCR.  But if you press STOP on VOD, then it will give you a RESUME PLAYING - RESTART and CANCEL choice. In the VOD case you can even turn off the TV and when you return to the VOD program you were watching, you will get the three choices. The 2 minute buffer does not seem to apply to VOD. It seems to give you the restart choice within the 2 minutes.

PamR
I'm Here A Lot

Thx....I may stop by and ask them, since I have a Rogers place close by. And I'm not mistaken about the function I had before on the RF remote....I always toggled between Subscribed channels and my Favourites before the update!