Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

A Navigatr enhancement will be deployed in October/November 2016.  Once you have received the updated Navigatr software and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

We'll continue to gather your feedback and circulate it with the appropriate parties within the company.  As a reminder, changes to the latest version of Navigatr can be found here.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

468 REPLIES 468

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Mendes1166
I've Been Here Awhile

We just got the update 2 days ago and now the PVR Recordings aren't working.  The prior recordings also dont show up in "My Recordings".  Every time we try to record something we get the "Recording Failed, duplicate recording exists" regardless of what we choose.

My Recordings shows the PVR as 0% full but when you click on info for a show it shows the correct usage.

How can we fix this?

Album here

http://imgur.com/a/9Z6RN

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you rebooted the box?  Either go to settings, up to troubleshooting and select reboot, or unplug the box for 10 seconds when it's not recording.

Sometimes the "duplicate" issue may not be resolved until the next morning.

If your recordings are not too important, you could do a factory reset from the troubleshooting menu - this will delete all of your recordings/settings and you'll need to start over.

You could try calling Rogers

Mendes1166
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes Id unplugged it yesterday. Same issue.

If I cant find any resolution here within a couple days ill give them a shout.. id prefer not to format it unless its my only option.. not that there is anything CRITICAL but we have recordings we would like to see

@Mendes1166

Best to call Rogers.  

As it is most likely your recordings are gone,, they will give you a bill credit, to ease the pain of being a Rogers customer.

park
I'm an Advisor

@57 wrote:

I have had a chance to do more research on the Resume problem.  Many times, the programme you were watching will not resume in the correct spot.  Here are just some of the instances where the resume will not functionproperly.

(snip)

Rogers, you need to fix this issue right away as it makes the reminder feature difficult to utilize.

It also makes RESUMEing a partly watched recording a krapshoot as to whether it will work or not.  My 35 year old VCR can do this why can't Navi.... ?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A vcr is actually a much easier piece of technology in terms of how it would resume, since its almost all mechanical.
when you stop, the tape physicaly stops at a particular location, when you start up, moves on from that spot.

With a digital recording.. generally the recording itself usually does not store this information.

Its up to the device, for EVERY potential recording then, to record the 'stop' spots for each of them.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, and a VCR would take many minutes to get to a certain point in the tape from some other point in the tape.

However, the point here is that Resume has been functioning properly for years and that it is no longer functioning properly.  That's along with a pretty long list of other functions that are not working properly since the October update and since Navigatr was introduced.

It is inexcusable that we now have a half-dozen new issues, a half-dozen or more old issues and a half dozen weird items.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

JB01
I've Been Visiting

Until a few weeks ago I could be watching a recorded program then jump over to live TV then go back to the recorded program and resume where I was.  Now, if I want to go to live TV, I have to press stop on the recorded program before going otherwise the system does not record where I was and does not offer a resume option.  Also if I am watching something in an on demand channel, I cannot press pause because the program will start over again.  I couldn't find anything in forum about this.  Wondering if this will be fixed or am I stuck with this nonsense.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks @57 for putting all of the current documentation on changes and issues and "huh".  It is great to have this all in one place.

I can't say I am expecting to see much furhter changes, but one can hope.

Bruce

jinx8910
I Plan to Stick Around

HELP ME!!  

I watched a program Friday.  Deleted it. The series is gone until Late January so I want to delete the series.  Where is that option????  The tile still shows up on recorded page.  My options are series recorded settings (which gives no option to cancel series) , delete recorded episodes (greyed out as I have no episodes recorded) and more like this.

There has to be a way to get rid of this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jinx8910 wrote:

I watched a program Friday.  Deleted it. The series is gone until Late January so I want to delete the series.  Where is that option????  The tile still shows up on recorded page.  My options are series recorded settings (which gives no option to cancel series) , delete recorded episodes (greyed out as I have no episodes recorded) and more like this.

There has to be a way to get rid of this.

Didn't we discuss this in the following post a couple of weeks ago?

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

jinx8910
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes we did but I couldn't find it again.  I guess I scanned too quickly. Thank you so much for the link. I've written it down now so I won't clutter the thread again. 😐 

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

So after spending a good amount of time with the Navigatr update on both of my NB3s, the sluggishness has not improved.  To be honest, it feels like it's getting worse.  It almost reminds me of when I had the old Nextbox 2.0 boxes (it's not as bad but it's getting there!).  I've rebooted both boxes several times since receiving the update, but the reboots did not help.  Both NB3s were very quick prior to the update, so that leads me to believe that something in the latest update is using up significantly more resources on these boxes, thereby causing the sluggishness.

With any of the major updates.. it seems almost a semi RESET on the box..

usually the search functionality takes a few days to load... often the screen icons take a while to populate.

I wonder if it does take a while to settle, etc.?
That its still downloading/working with content, etc?

Mine was slugish initially.. but seems much better now.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:

1. I wonder if it does take a while to settle, etc.?
2. Mine was slugish initially.. but seems much better now.

1. I believe it does, perhaps doing most of the basic firmware first, then the icons and any updates, etc.  WHPVR may also have an impact.

2. There are some items that I find a bit slower - like bringing up the list. The more recordings you have, the longer the list functions take.  (I have two 9865s and the one with fewer recordings brings up the list much faster.) Perhaps this is because there is now a "slider" on the right side of the "List" and there is wraparound capability, along with perhaps needing to count the number of recordings to set the slider, etc.

Deleting recordings takes more steps and it's a bit slower at each step, but nowhere near an 8642.

I find the IPG just as fast as before - does anything I want as fast as I can press buttons.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Weird things were happening for last week:

Some of you may have been involved in the thread I created on the On Demand outage and area outages that occurred last week.

Well, interestingly last night, I turned on my box at about 4:30 a.m. and low and behold I finally had my call display information listing back, the Weather Channel was back, and my On Demand was back, but;  On demand had no picture art.

Now the unusual one was that when I went into channels, people may remember that for a while we had a choice of changing the menu view by using the # key switching it to a list view rather than poster art.

Well in the commands, I now had an option to use the yellow A button that gave the option of the list.  I decided to give the box a reboot just in case a software change had been pushed down and did not fully implement.

Well, when I came back to it, On demand was back with all its glorious poster art, but the A yellow button option was now gone.  It took a while for the weather channel and phone call list to come up (about 10 minutes), which is not unusual - it often has to populate everything through the download and then load everything into the program to make it accessible.

So everything is working fine now.

Seems area outage is resolved, seems to have two way communication, but will still keep the tech visit on Wed just to go over everything and see if there are remnants of odd things left, and On Demand and the apps are back.

The one thing left for me to wonder about is the change in the menu structure in the On Demand, that disappeared after I rebooted. During the last week did Rogers try to push down a slight change in the menu structures of On Demand - clearly it was laid out differently and worked very different than I had ever seen - and then when I rebooted it went back to the standard build we have all been on since October.

Who knows, but I so wish that if the developers are going to play with builds (which I acknowledge they may not have intended to), please let us the customers know that you are doing it and what to expect, either here, or via email, text or phone blast to impacted customers.

I didn't see this change until last night because I couldn't load On Demand anyway through the last week.

Like I said, weird things, but as a past programmer and implementer, a layout and actions of a command structure in the user interface doesn't spontaneously change without someone making a change.

Probably will never know, but wonder if this was related to the outages last week - did they play around with the On-Demand interface and back end.  I will stand by my experience, what I saw, the behaviour of this revised command structure, and past experience that there was a change in the interface and it ended up on my box, then with the reboot was gone.

Weird - but then again, I have little confidence in the whole Navigtr implementation and design and there has been a huge level of poor coordination, communication and bugs from day one.

Hopefully things are fine now.

Anyone esle see this?

Bruce

dmbcanda
I Plan to Stick Around

My problem is that the "Picture Art" does not show up for all shows recorded, makes it look like a incomplete product.  It would feel more polished if all shows showed pictures, especially since the ones missing are shows that have been on for 10+ years, "Dr. Phil", "20/20", "48 Hrs".

Hello @dmbcanda,

If it makes you feel any better, I am noticing the same issue - but only for a few shows.

Example: Recorded "Corner Gas" from Comedy network today at 3:30pm, and have no art on it.  Other programs taped last night have art.  Rebooting my PVR (Nextbox 3) has no effect - same problem.

I will be reporting this to technical support, I recommend that you do the same...it will get more attention if reported by multiple people.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I get art on about 70% of my programming.  It doesn't even have a pattern because I can have several single recordings of the same programme and one will have art while another will not.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

I would go along with @57 - I get about 70% of my art showing, with no consistency - one week, NCIS Los angeles has the art, the next week, not.

I have never been identify any kind of pattern on that one.

I just live with it.

Bruce

dmbcanda
I Plan to Stick Around

@robindp @57 

Yep same thing, 70% of art and completley random.  Have 3 seperate recordings of same TV show recording across 3 weeks and only 1 has art.   Up until this week Walking Dead had art, this week none...go figure.