Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

A Navigatr enhancement will be deployed in October/November 2016.  Once you have received the updated Navigatr software and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

We'll continue to gather your feedback and circulate it with the appropriate parties within the company.  As a reminder, changes to the latest version of Navigatr can be found here.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

468 REPLIES 468

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@BS wrote:

I thank everyone on this forum thread for all the hard work to get us here - we made a pretty good team of unhired experts and have influenced a reasonable viewing experience. It was a lot of work and frustration, and impacted the health of some along the way, but we all persisted and finally got to where we are.

Now to just enjoy our viewing experiences and we later we will see CRTC forced changes, and competetive driven changes (these will mostly be packaging and pricing changes) and technologically driven changes, and supplier changes, and with hope, they will go much more seamlessly.

Except not all of us have the update yet. I'm in Richmond Hill and am still waiting.... 

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

@mac10 wrote:

updated box 3.0 pvr.when u r watching a recorded show and u go to live tv or u interrupt that show for any reasonand then u go back to the recorded show it's no longer at the spot where u stopped watching it.u have to go back to the list,find the show and start at the beginning everytime.sucks i want to be able to start watching from where i left off.

Not sure what you're talking about the resume feature is there after you have watched a couple of minutes of a show.Used it  and it works fine

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I did read, either on this forum or another, of one user saying the same thing.. they couldnt resume..

But many others with the update, being able to just fine.

Not sure if this is a BUG that maybe some are encountering? Or that that its just a case of resuming it wrong?

User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@yyz64 wrote:

@mac10 wrote:

updated box 3.0 pvr.when u r watching a recorded show and u go to live tv or u interrupt that show for any reasonand then u go back to the recorded show it's no longer at the spot where u stopped watching it.u have to go back to the list,find the show and start at the beginning everytime.sucks i want to be able to start watching from where i left off.

Not sure what you're talking about the resume feature is there after you have watched a couple of minutes of a show.Used it  and it works fine

For your own recordings, I believe there is a 2 minute buffer once you start watching. If you STOP the recording within the 2 minutes, the only choices you have to restart are WATCH or DELETE. As suggested, watch for more than 2 minutes, then stop the program and see what happens.  You should get RESUME - RESTART - (MORE) -

&  DELETE.

If you are using VOD, it is will PAUSE and PLAY like a VCR.  But if you press STOP on VOD, then it will give you a RESUME PLAYING - RESTART and CANCEL choice. In the VOD case you can even turn off the TV and when you return to the VOD program you were watching, you will get the three choices. The 2 minute buffer does not seem to apply to VOD. It seems to give you the restart choice within the 2 minutes.

Thx....I may stop by and ask them, since I have a Rogers place close by. And I'm not mistaken about the function I had before on the RF remote....I always toggled between Subscribed channels and my Favourites before the update! 

Brt
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

I did read, either on this forum or another, of one user saying the same thing.. they couldnt resume..

Not sure if this is a BUG that maybe some are encountering? Or that that its just a case of resuming it wrong?

This sounds like the same problem I reported on message #51: 

... I've already stumbled on a new "bug" .....

I was watching a show and had to take a break so I returned to live tv. When I came back to it and selected the "Resume" option, I was surprised to see that it started playing about 6-8 minutes ealier than where I left off. I tried it again a few minutes later by choosing a different channel, and it again resumed to an earlier place in the program. 

park
I'm an Advisor

@Brt wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

This sounds like the same problem I reported on message #51: 

... I've already stumbled on a new "bug" .....

I was watching a show and had to take a break so I returned to live tv. When I came back to it and selected the "Resume" option, I was surprised to see that it started playing about 6-8 minutes ealier than where I left off. I tried it again a few minutes later by choosing a different channel, and it again resumed to an earlier place in the program. 

Got the new Navi software a few days ago hers in Mississauga.

I can confirm that  RESUME was not working correctly for me, until today.

Looks like there was a big download/update last night which may? have fixed the problem.

Just tried a recorded program and it RESUMED ok after the 1st 2 minutes or so.

Its almost like it was remembering where you started watching, not when you stopped.  I like to watch several  newscasts at once, and switch between them as they are recording and after they have finished.  Will do so again tonight and see how RESUME behaves. (It is now much easier to do this with the latest software as a  program recording is now considered as "recorded" when it starts recording, not after.)

BTW: @robindp noted earlier he thought the new software was somewhat faster/more-responsive.  I do not see much difference. If anything it seems a tad slower on my NB3s, but maybe he noticing the speed-up on his NB2.

robindp
I'm an Advisor

Hello @park,

Correct, I am noticing the speed improvements on my NextBox 2 PVRs - one on the whole home PVR network, the other not. 

My NextBox 3 speed is actually a bit faster all around, especially fast-forward/rewinding recorded content. 

Bhouse
I've Been Around

We usually set up sports to record, then start watching before the end of the recording. This worked until the latest update. Now a program is either on the record list, once complete, or on the scheduled list, even though it has started.

On the scheduled list, there is no option to start watching the program. Are we missing something?

Hello @Bhouse,

Not sure what is happening for you - just pressed "record", then pressed "List" - the item currently being recorded was the first thing listed, and I was able to start watching it right away. 

park
I'm an Advisor

@robindp wrote:

Hello @Bhouse,

Not sure what is happening for you - just pressed "record", then pressed "List" - the item currently being recorded was the first thing listed, and I was able to start watching it right away. 

@Bhouse  what software  R U on.  Sounds like the old one.

Settings -> troublshooting -> about

New software is: 

-----bunch of words--------------------------0139

---bunch of words-----------------------1.9.5

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@DrMike Your turn will come, as long as something major doesn't happen.  Hopefully your region won't get hit by the large number of failures that some areas have had.  Guess that is when you find out how well you local infrastruture has been maintained.

And just maybe you will hear about the update in your area before it happens, not after like my own. Smiley Happy

Hope it works well.

Bruce

park
I'm an Advisor

Further to RESUME not working:

While switching between  different newscasts tonight (CH 16, 17, and 18) it worked OK for ch 17 and 18, but when I went back to ch 16 it went back the start a few times, then further in the newscast, backtracked a couple times, then finally worked OK after I had watched 15 mins or so. Later on tonight, I went back to finish watching and found the ch 18 news had backtracked by a few minites.  So yes, RESUME is broken.

Anyway Rogers can test this out to confirm for themselves and hopefully FIX. 
Hopefully the mods can let us know when it is !

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have developed the following summary based on the feedback here and at Digital Home.   I hope this helps customers with the new firmware and also Rogers who still have a fair bit of work to do to get things working properly.

Caveat: I do not have the new firmware yet.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@park  I just had my own incident with resume.

I have had the issue of the resume not showing until a number of minutes (unclear how long), and also having the resume be a number of minutes back of where I stopped or paused.

I had a new one today - I was watching a recorded show, was about half way through, my wife asked to see the weather channel - I just pushed 23 on the remote, we checked the weather for today, then when I went back to the show, no resume to be found - I was about 2/3's of the way through.

So I tried to replicate on my next show (same series, as Ihad three to watch), nope, not this time, when I repeated the steps above, low and behold the Resume was present this time.

So, I have a suggestion, since it is not that long since the newest build came out, how about the programmers take a close look at the functioning of the resume button.

I am guessing the programming logic is as follows:

If watching a show, if paused and leaves the PVR module, returning to live TV , or stopped, or exiting to live tv directly, a bookmark will be set to allow for the resume function to locate where left off, and Resume function will now show.

Something is causing this to fail unpredictably - I leave it for the programmers to figure this one out - not a deal breaker, and not new either, but would be nice if they can fix this.

In addition, clarify the duration at the beginning where a resume point is not set.

So Rogers take the lead on this one, get your programmers to work, this is clearly a consistent bug that is being reported (I know only by a few here on the forum, but we are a small representative sample of all users).

And please rather than sending out any satisfaction surveys, just spend the time looking at the things that have been pointed out so far, prioritize what you will work on, and let us know what you plan.  Now that would be novel.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Maneuvering the list, tiles view and other thoughts:

I thought I would write this out, as I just realized a few things I had not noticed before.

When in the tile view of the first list button push of recorded shows:

- You can page up or down to move to the next show visibly below the show you have currently highlighted (i.e., if you are on the top row in the 8 tile view, say in the third show to the right, if you arrow down once, you will move to the show right under that one, in the next row, three columns over.

- If you page down, you will move two rows down to the first row under the bottom row of your current view, but you will again remain in the column you have highlighted.

-You can do the same actions moving up, and page up, and you can now scroll from the bottom of the rows to the first row, and top row to the bottom row by paging or arrow up.

I don't personally use the commands on the right side at all - I move from recorded to scheduled using the list button, and I have yet to use manage PVR space at all, as it is of no use to me as long as there is no channel information in that view.

I am finding that I wander between all the different views, as well as still using the Anyplace TV app on my laptop.  I haven't decided just which I prefer, may end up being a mix of views, but at least we have "choice" again.

Finally, definitely, the subscribed view is not permanent - it is lost with every reboot on download that occurs.

If it is set, you can toggle between the different views of subscribed or full channel guide, and I read somewhere the Favourites, but I have stayed away from FAV totally since the previous strange things happened.  You will have to hit esc to get out of the guide if you have a filter or FAV channels in place.

Note, someone mentioned that there may have been a second major download, I did have a major download again the second day in - the box suddenly froze and I restarted it, it did a long download and long reboot, and I saw the introduction screens to the changes again.  I am on build dated Oct 8, 6.2.0.139 and 3.0.14.101(Cisco builds from diagnostic screens from esc, down arror twice, press 2 under components), and 6.5.9-1.9.5

I don't think that is a change in builds since my first download, but I stand to be corrected.

That is the only freeze, reboot I have experienced since my download came.

Hopefully it remains stable.

Bruce

hz42
I've Been Here Awhile

We received the latest upgrade to the NAVIGATR software this week. Ever since then, and despite multiple reboots, our PVR takes a full 25 seconds from the time the LIST button is depressed to present our list of scheduled or recorded programs. Painfully slow and much slower even than after the previous upgrade. It seems that every "improvement" sent to us just makes things worse!

We have an original NEXTBOX (Explorer 8642HD) that we purchased outright just before the NEXTBOX2 was introduced. It worked satisfactorily until we got the major NAVIGATR redesign a year ago, at which point all of the functions relating to displaying, scheduling, recording or deleting programs slowed down immensely, but at least after that "upgrade", when the LIST button was depressed, it "only" took about 5 seconds for the list to appear (vs. the second or two it took when we first got the PVR). It seems that each upgrade made the LIST function slower by a magnitude of 5!

Very disappointed. It took a year to deliver this?

park
I'm an Advisor

@BSwrote

--------

Something is causing this to fail unpredictably - I leave it for the programmers to figure this one out - not a deal breaker, and not new either, but would be nice if they can fix this.

-----

It is showstopper for someone like me, who watches as more than one thing at a time esp during commercials.

My guess on how to fix RESUME

Generally when things are acting unpredictably in a REAL-TIME environment, it that the machine does not have enough time to do everything, sometimes.  It gets interrupted in whats its doing and services some other request  (e.g. handle a key press or two , switch to a live channel etc.) before it can do what it supposed to, i.e. set the return point when leaving a stored program.

Its not necessarily that the program has an error, its that the box sometimes can't do everything that its asked in REAL-TIME. , so it drops a non-time-critical task.  Duuno the innards of this machine, and how it manages things like TV signal decoding and disk drives, but it likely takes different amounts of time to handle each, depending. So RESUME sometimes works and sometimes not.

Given the lack-of-quality of the original Navi software, I suspect nobody looked at the mico-second and milli-second level timing issues.  it is fixable, e.g. RTN did not have an issue w RESUME; so the hardware is capable with keeping up.

park
I'm an Advisor

@57 wrote:

I have developed the following summary based on the feedback here and at Digital Home.   I hope this helps customers with the new firmware and also Rogers who still have a fair bit of work to do to get things working properly.

Caveat: I do not have the new firmware yet.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

Liked your analysis.  Much appreciated !

You may want to time a few things to see if new version is indeed faster.

park
I'm an Advisor

Hi @hz42

How to speed up your NEXTBOX/NEXTBOX 2

1. Sell your machine on Kijiji

2. Buy a NB3 for roughly $50 more

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@park wrote:

You may want to time a few things to see if new version is indeed faster.

I have 9865s and everthing works quickly. I'm not fast enough in my old age to be able to time the milliseconds it usually takes to do something, but I can tell "just by feel" if something takes longer with a new upgrade, like when the memory leak occurred earlier this year and a reboot brought back the speed.

@hz42

There is something wrong if it takes that long to bring up the list.  A few seconds, but not 20+.  Do you have WHPVR?  Are you trying to access the list from another STB?  If so, do a reboot of all your equipment, wait a half hour and then test again. Also, if you have WHPVR, use the "List" format and not the "Tile" format since the Tiles take time to download the graphics.