cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NextBox HD Box shuts off with Receiver

Broncin
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been having this issue with my upgraded Nextbox. Whenever I shut off my Onkyo Receiver my nextbox shuts off as well. I never had this problem with my previous HD box. I was told to upgraded it because certain channels and HD packages would be removed once I get the new box. Nothing was modified or changed in my Receiver, was just a simple plug and play in the  other HD box. Now this one like I said, if I shut off the power on the remote on my Onkyo Receiver, the Nextbox shuts off as well. Its getting really annoying and fustrating. I am having a Rogers Tech coming this Sunday to try to figure this out. Any ideas on where I should start ?

The Onkyo Home Theatre I have is  HT-S8400

***Edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: NextBox HD Box shuts off with Receiver

mousetamer
I'm a Trusted Contributor

If the Rogers box is plugged into the back of the Onkyo receiver for power, plug it into a power bar or the wall instead.  My guess is that the problem is caused by HDMI CEC.  It is a feature that is built into a lot of new devices.  Go into the settings of your receiver and turn it off. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

BigJug
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I'm thinking that the Rogers box might be plugged into your reciever?  and your reciever is set to shut off its power outlets when the reciever shuts off??  I know the Rogers boxes have this feature as well (there is an available 120v a/c outlet on the back of most boxes which can be controlled via the menu).

But what throws me off is you say that all you did was remove the old box, and simply plug in the new box?? so that shouldn't have changed anything...

I would check your power lines, and ensure the Rogers box is plugged directly into a wall outlet, not piggy-backed into one of your other devices.  Secondly, I would test the Onkyo remote:  Get really close to the Rogers box when you press power, and see if SOMEHOW the new Rogers box is picking up a signal from your recievers remote.

Also, be careful with the Rogers tech, if he determines the fault lays with your reciever, Rogers may charge you $49.99 for a technichian fee.  Remember, all he is going to check is the Rogers box and lines, nothing more.  If the box "appears" to be functioning properly when he arrives.... you may be charged.

mousetamer

If the Rogers box is plugged into the back of the Onkyo receiver for power, plug it into a power bar or the wall instead.  My guess is that the problem is caused by HDMI CEC.  It is a feature that is built into a lot of new devices.  Go into the settings of your receiver and turn it off. 

Broncin
I've Been Here Awhile

OK I disabled the HDMI CEC and is working finally. Thanks for the help guys really appreciated it. Saved myself  the hassel from Rogers Tech guy.

BigJug

@mousetamer wrote:

Hey mousetamer, does this mean he had the rogers box plugged into his reciever with an hdmi cable?  And the signal was sent from the reciever via the hdmi cable telling the box to turn off?

I just learned something... Smiley Happy

mousetamer

Yes Big Jug.  HDMI CEC is a pain in the donkey.  I always recommend that you turn it off in everything you have in the audio/video system. Sometimes one device can cause issues even when CEC is off on the others. It can also cause problems where one device has it and the others don't,  as it can still turn things on or off.  Bottom line is that it if it causes problems it should be turned off. 

Rafa1478
I've Been Here Awhile
HDMI CEC is not a pain in the donkey, it's a great feature. The problem is the rogers netbox 3. All other devices worked fine until I swapped the netbox 2 for the netbox 3.
It's even preventing my ARC (Audio Return Channel) from working forcing me to unplug the hdmi cable whenever I want to use Netflix on my tv.

lavalamps
I Plan to Stick Around

I have been pulling my hair out since I spent 5 hours yesterday setting up my brand new tv attaching to my receiver and enabling ARC so that I could watch Netflix and have the sound come through my stereo. I thought my TV was defective.

I almost gave up but decide to disconnect the Netbox 3.0 on the OFF CHANCE it was the culprit.

I couldn't believ it when the sound now worked.

I thought it was a one time problem, until this morning when the same problem occured.

Is there no way to get the NETBOX 3.0 to behave properley and not mess up the ARC capability of my TV and Receiver..

HELP.......

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
There is currently a problem with hdmi-cec on the nextbox 3

If you need to use arc, then there really are only to options. (Until they fix the box issue)

Connect the nextbox to the receiver via component and optical audio (though this may be an issue if your receiver doesn't do up converting from component. )

Other option is you can buy adapters which just plug in line on the hdmi cable and just are missing the cec pin. This filters out anything sent on it.

Only other option is using say optical out of the tv if it supports it, back to the receiver.

AccordXTC

Gdkitty where might one find the adapter to disable to CEC control. I very much would like to buy one to fix it now rather then wait 6 months for Rogers to figure this out.

Thanks

Doesnt seem like a verry common item.. only ones i have ever seen are

http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/110-cec-less-hdmi-cable.aspx
http://www.lindy-usa.com/ord/basket.html

Both order online... never seen one local myself.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 in conversation