cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NextBox 3.0 won't stop rebooting

FanoftheGame1
I'm Here A Lot

OK so I have multiple nextboxes in my house.  I do not have "whole home" set up and I do not want to set it up.  In one of the bedrooms the NB3 has been freezing and I have had to reboot it several times to be able to watch a show.  I didn't really care because it was in the bedroom and I usually fall alseep anyways.  It has been going on for about a month.

This morning the NB3 in my living room has gone insane.  It has been rebooting since 6:30 this morning.  It "blows up" then it counts from "-01-", "-02-", etc... up to "-05-". Then I see "loAd" next comes "boot" and finally I get the time back on the front of the box.  As long as the box is left off it is fine but as soon as I turn it on the screen freezes within 2 minutes and I am going through this whole process again.  

Any suggestions?  Rogers is useless!! They send a tech guy out he says its a signal problem.  He puts a boaster on my line.  A week later a new guy comes out and he takes it off and says the line is fine and that it should have never been put there in the first place.  And so on and so forth.  I am to the point that I refuse to let the cable guy in the house becasue it is clear to me that the do not know what they are talking about.  If I could switch to Bell I would be gone in an instant but I rent and my housing provider will not allow the dishes to be installed on the buildings so I am stuck.  

Any help would be awesome....

***Edited labels***

45 REPLIES 45

Re: NextBox 3.0 won't stop rebooting

I'm having this problem now. How do you do a factory reboot?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Go to Settings, scroll up one to Troubleshooting, select Factory Reboot.  You may wish to try a regular reboot first as the Factory reboot will delete all your settings and recordings.

PinkLucy
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks; how can I get into the setting though? It's stuck on boot so I can't access the box.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can't get into the settings if the box hasn't booted (you didn't mention that - I assumed it ws simply rebooting on occasion). You may be able to call Rogers and have them initiate a factory reboot, but you may have a signal problem and then they may not be able to initiate it and you may need a service call.  Rogers can check the signal when you call.

PinkLucy
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks; they are sending a technician. The box just keeps getting stuck on "boot"; they're not even seeing the box at Roger's end.

Cap07
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I had the same problem, PVR stuck in a loop rebooting over and over all day. I'm going to take this one back and see if it's a hardware issue. It started this just a few days ago. Terrible service from Rogers.

The Rogers technician came in today and swapped out the Next Box. So far, so good.

dayneb
I've Been Around

Having the  same issue. Box constantly rebooting  Can't get through an hour show without it rebooting.

Will try factory resetting

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dayneb:

This could be an issue with the signal in your home or in your neighbourhood. Have you called Rogers and have them check your signal?  Have you talked to your neighbours?

Also with the firmware rollout, sometimes issues arise at the Rogers headend or server that can cause temporary problems that are usually resolved the next day.  That's why a new box often seems to solve an issue that's very rarely caused by the box itself.

I am having the same issues. How do I hard reboot of the box?

I you cant get into a menu, etc and need to reboot it.. you need to unplug it and plug back in.

If its an issue that its in a reboot cycle, it may be trying to download something, and be failing.

Quite often this is due to signal level.

May be worth trying to move it to another outlet in the house, in case the signal is better there, and see if it will complete the cycle.

Square
I'm a Reliable Contributor

To do a master boot.   Hold power button and unplug.  Wait 5 seconds, plug back in while still holding power button in.   Wait 5 seconds and release power button.

Destry
I've Been Here Awhile

My cable TV just stopped working this morning.  First, it stopped while watching recorded shows on my Nextbox.  Now, even while watching any live channel, the TV just keeps rebooting.  Phoned for technical help.  Was told that even though my Nextbox PVR is only 5 years old, I'll have to buy a new one for $500.00  No way!  I'll switch to Bell first.

Rogers service is very poor.  Customer service reps make verbal promises over the phone, then when they aren't kept,

you can phone up and inquire as to why you bill is higher than was promised and you are told that "we have no record of that conversation."  This company is terrible.  Never want to deal with them again.

Hello, @Destry

Thank you for joining and posting your concern in the Community. I can surely appreciate your position, the failure of the cable box can be upsetting. Instead of purchasing the box, you have the option to rent it. 

We are always looking ways to provide exceptional customer service, please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps so that we can look into your account and turn around the poor service experience.  Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Thanks,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Destry: Many of these issues can be related to signal strength.  Check out the following post on the topic;

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

Call Rogers and have them check the signal in your home and in your neighbourhood. You can also check it yourself using the link in the above.

Danno
I Plan to Stick Around

Loss of channels and error message

The PVR is a Netbox 9865 by Cisco. It crashes a lot and I get this error message: "Loading. One moment please...This program may shutdown momentarily. Press any key to continue." Pressing any key does nothing. I can access some channels but the ones with the error message remain that way. It's always the same channels which includes the Weather Network, MSNBC and many others. A reboot works some of the time. But usually it requires multiple attempts. Lately I have had to reboot dozens of times before it finally restores all of the channels. I have also called to re-authorize the set-box and that does not fix the problem immediately but sometimes the situation is resolved later on after I perform a few more reboots so I am not sure if the re-authorization had anything to do with this. My PVR is only about 33% full so that shouldn't be the issue. Does anybody else have this problem and can someone provide some helpful advice on what to do. It's really annoying because it's an intermittent problem and everything can be fine for a few weeks and then it acts up again sometimes several times a week. Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Danno : As discussed in the other thread, it is extremely likely that you have a signal issue. The reason you cannot tune some (SDV) channels is because the return signal from your box is not getting to the head end (or node) to tune that channel due to a poor signal.  As mentioned, call Rogers and have them check the signal at your home/neighbourhood and if the person isn't able to diagnose the issue, ask for "second level". It may require a technician to visit your home.

krza
I've Been Here Awhile

Cisco 9865HD aka Nextbox 3.0 Error 51

Hello,

Had this error "Er:51" and continuous re-boot even after hard disk drive replaced.  Anyone know the issue with the Cisco 9865HD aka Nextbox 3.0 box?

Thanks 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@krza : Did you replace the iHDD yourself?  Did you replace it with the proper compatible iHDD - one that doesn't power down like one of the green drives? What is the make/model of the new iHDD?

Have you checked the signal strength or called Rogers to have them check the signal at your home and in your neighbourhood? Signal problems are a major cause of issues with boxes not performing or booting properly. See the following post on that topic:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

krza
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, I replaced a Seagate 1Tb  with WD purple 1Tb drive. Checked the old drive on my pc and it looks good.

Signal was checked with Rogers, it's fine and the old NextBox 2 is now working on the same spot/cable for a few months.

Er:51 is showing after power on then boot and reloop....

Looking to find 9865hd error codes but no success 

er51 9865hd.jpg

boot 9865hd.jpg

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Did the 9865 work after you replaced the iHDD?  The Purple model seems to be specifically designed for surveillance applications.  Until you mentioned it, I hadn't heard of this model.

Most people have utilized the WD Black, Red or Blue drives. Certainly not the Green drive which seems to be incompatible with PVRs.  If the problems started after you replaced the drive, perhaps you could try putting the old drive back as a test?  Check all your connections inside the box, etc.  Here's a thread on replacing the drive.  Check out the instructions and posts there:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/211002-upgrade-replace-ihdd-98...

The 9865 often requires more signal than the 8642, so the fact that the 8642 works doesn't necessarily mean there's enough signal for the 9865.  You may wish to check the signal yourself using the link I provided previously.