NextBox 3.0 Recording Limitations

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NastyCanasta
I've Been Here Awhile

NextBox 3.0 Recording Limitations

It appears that recording on the NextBox 3.0 can not set a manual recording for any time which is more than 7 days in the future.

Also, it looks like one can not set a manual recording to repeat on a weekly basis.

Please, tell me this is not so. I must be missing something, somewhere.

I have been able to do these things since I bought a VCR in the early 90s.

***Edited labels***

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NextBox 3.0 Recording Limitations

Unfortunately no... NONE of the PVRs even the past models were able to really do this.

My understanding, is that even on a fully manual recording.. it puts a MARKER in the guide, were the manual its going to record.

Since most everything is designed around the guide (info for the channels, etc).. that the guide only has that many days out on it.. no where to put that marker.

There are repeat options.. but again, designed around the guide entries.

What exactly were you trying to record on a regular bassis?  Maybe we can help in alternate ways of doing it which work on the guide?

NastyCanasta
I've Been Here Awhile

I love Formula One and like to record it. I am travelling and wishes to set up the recordings before I leave. Unfortunately, the racing events happen at different times on different weekends.

After spending all this money on a PVR, one would think that they could feature match devices that have been around for decades.

I certainly do not feel like "tricking" the PVR in doing what it should be doing, standard.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A VCR record time/channel, and doesn't care the content. Vs a pvr is very tied around the content, to display info on what was recorded in the list, etc, saying you actually recorded X.

Are the names always the same? Eg is it always listed just as "formula one" or is it "formula one:location" or similar?

If it is just listed the same name all the time, you can set up a series recording that will work. You can say this show, any timeslot, and even any channel if you wanted.

If you do have Internet access while you are away, or a smartphone, there is a web app and smartphone app which will allow you to set a recording from there as well.

theClubHopper
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The Formula One broadcasts this year seem to be listed in the Guide using the title format: "Formula One Racing: [event location] [session type]", whereas last year each of the 3 sessions per event (Practice, Qualifying, and Race) were simply listed as "Formula One Racing", and the location and session type were put in the Description field.

This is hardly an issue that's exclusive to F1 fans -- the Guide seems to list nearly all series-based sports using the same format. NHL hockey, MLB baseball, MLS soccer, Premier League Soccer, Six Nations rugby, NASCAR racing... all listed in a manner that makes it impossible to set a Series scheduled recording. Who owns the Jays again?... and how many games of theirs will be televised? Do they really expect me to remember when every single game is on, and to manually set a scheduled recording for each one, up to 7 days in advance?

Same issue was previously mentioned in another thread, "Nextbox soccer series names recording problem" - the last update there was that Rogers is aware of the issue and claims to be "working diligently to resolve the problem".

This current listing title format *is* more informative, but is super unfriendly to PVRs that can't do customer-set keyword recordings, e.g., "[Formula One]"  or "[MLS Soccer] AND [Toronto]".

I don't know if Rogers has any influence on the Guide listings content or if they simply subscribe, but the complaint and examples in this thread illustrate perfectly the ramnifications of poor software design.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While I think Rogers does have some editing capabilities..
Pretty much all tv broadcasters usually do pull their guide info from a providing company.
Rogers definitely does.

vic2140
I've Been Around

It's complete nonsense I have older pvrr with the old ipg and I can set a manual recording for as long as I want so we go to newer technology and non of that is available. I currently watch some programs on Globo Brazil and the guide is never up to date the time of the programs I watch are always messed up so how can you program a series around that you can't and I don't want to be programming a recoding everyday for a show that is on all the time. Ridiculous. Great technology NOT.