NextBox 3.0 Bricked after updates download... again

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RandyMe
I've Been Here Awhile

NextBox 3.0 Bricked after updates download... again

Yet again, we had an update downloaded to the NextBox 3.0 that turned it into a brick. No follow-up by Rogers, but I got a nice email asking how the support experience was. Come on, people, this is 2013. Do you not test your software before forcing it on us? The issue now? After 'boot', a blue LED just runs around in a circle. For days. It's enough to make me change to Bell.

***Edited labels***

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: NextBox 3.0 Bricked after updates download... again

@RandyMe wrote:

It's enough to make me change to Bell.

Check out the OTHER satellite providers in your area. It's the only way to fly. Simpler hardware. Lower costs. And you can OWN the hardware for 1/4 of the price you'd pay now. Something to think about.............

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

a great alternative.....unless you don't want an uglysatellite dish hanging off of ýour house.  Sorry, but Shaw isn't a viable option for me.

Fibe, however.....

Cognus
I Plan to Stick Around

I feel your pain, I went 9 days without cable when I switched to the 3.0. The source of my problem turned to be behind the face plate on the wall that holds the connector and cable that comes from the cable room. The connector was ancient, probably as old as the apartment tower and it was in a very poor state. However it took 3 technician visits to figure this out. The first 2 technicians must have been subcontractors but the third was a senior Rogers technician and he definitely knew what he was doing and was able to figure it out and fix it. The one thing I've observed is that these boxes maybe just a little too sensitive to any changes in the signal their receiving through the cable line because until the repairs, the other technicians were saying I was getting a full signal but the box wouldn't update. I would suggest you ask for a technician to come and look at your lines, and ask for a senior technician one that is directly employed by Rogers and not a subcontractor.
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I luckily have gone through every update unscathed, no problems on the Nb3. But I know a have a pretty bang on signal.
Worth having it checked...
And if not, could be more that area, problems with the infrastructure as a whole there.

Worth taking a look to see if any competitors infrastructure is any better in the area. You need to go with which one is best for you in each situation.

pac_west227
I'm a Reliable Contributor

How are you guys checking the signal strength?? Which device are u using??

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

The box itself. To get into the service menus, hold 'EXIT' until the power light blinks, then press DOWN DOWN 2.
RandyMe
I've Been Here Awhile

Update from Rogers tech support. This is a software problem (but they didn't say whether it was on their network or with the actual download). It has nothing to do with signal strength. No projected fix date is available, but I should expect 24-48 hours.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

pac_west227:

I look at signal strengths and track them often. You should be looking at 2 things. One is dbmv and the other is SNR. If you have a decent signal, the readings should always be white. If there's an issue (too high or low), the reading will be yellow or red. Yellow means marginal and red means there's definitely a problem. You will notice these signals vary a lot, depending on which channel you're tuned to.

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: NextBox 3.0 Bricked after updates download... Again

I have been without a bootable box since last Wednesday. This after many calls to tech support and a field technician coming out. Yes it has been explained to me that this is a BIG issue, affecting between 2,000 and 10,000 people, and they are working on it. Yep and Christmas is coming too....

Something that no one can explain to me has affected NB 3.0's is some "group" (not sure if it is strictly geography or server related or what) but it choked on the last firmware upgrade and now the box just spins its blue LED ad infinitum. Apparently it not even being seen by central office and can;t be authorized until they "sledgehammer" a patch through (as one TS person told me last night).

I wait, but not very patiently.