Next PVR remote Locks out when 2 programs record...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Next PVR remote Locks out when 2 programs record...

Took 6hrs and 2 techs to upgrade to the new NEXT system.  Wish I had read the forums before I upgraded.  I've been struggling without TV most of the holiday weekend.

The pattern i'm noticing, is that when two programs are recording simultaneously - you can only watch one of the programs (and you don't get to choose which one - it's the one that is first in the list).  Also when this happens, you cannot use the remotes to do anything except turn the box off.  You can't change a channel, use the list, use the guide - you can't stop a recording.  in fact, the whole process usually starts with the guide scrolling in an uncontrolled way like it's possessed.  I have learned that I can do these things on the front of the box itself - and if i manage to limit myself to one recording or to no recordings the remote will start to work again.

Rogers wants to replace my box - but given the number of freezing issues - I'm afraid to make it worse now that I understand what I'm doing. 

Has anyone else had this problem?  And if so, did you get a resolution?  What was it?

Is there a limit to the # of recordings you can have in your PVR schedule?

I had found that my eSata TB Extender was not plugged in - I plugged it in - but how do I know it's really working?  Is it possible that resource/space is part of the problem?

Thanks!

J

***Edited labels***

I'm Here A Lot

Re: Next PVR remote Locks out when 2 programs record...

Update - I'm learning that watching TV on the terminals is not an issue.  I'm beginning to wonder if placing the main PVR in my main viewing area was a mistake.  It's a pain however that you can't record from the other viewing terminals (i.e. if I place my PVR in a less used location to optimize viewing - then recording becomes the problem).   agggghhh - so glad I upgraded on a holiday weekend where I've spent my weekend lamenting the difficulties it keeps posing to holiday watching.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It could be he box itself.

Did you have a tech out to the house? Or yourself? Could be a bad signal to the main viewing area.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I appreciate your feedback,

2 techs came to do the install - this happenned 4hrs after they left - now I can see there is a pattern to when the remotes don't work - it's only when 2 programs are recording.

Rogers is scheduled to come back and change the box - but I'm fearful given that they've already changed the box once - and so many other people are complaining also.  Was wondering if anyone else has had the same experiences....

I'm also now wondering if the main PVR should not be in the most active use area of the house.

Also curious how to confirm that the TB extender is working (the tech forgot to plug it in - I've plugged it in - and allowed it to reformat the device - but how do I know if it's working)?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like a box problem.

We have our pvr in the highest used area, without a problem.
I am able to record 2, and the remote works fine durring it. When we try to say, browse to a 3rd channel it will pop up with a warning and can tune to one of the two re wording. Or we normally watch something already recorded

That the format drive came up is a good thing. Unless you were watching your % used before adding it, its hard to tell. When we added ours, was at 18% used before. After adding, showed only 2% used.

I'm Here A Lot

My PVR is 300 Gig - the TB Extender brings it to 1.3gig...

Before formatting it - it was saying 22% used....

Now it's saying 11%

The fact it shifted is I suppose a good sign - but the fact it shifted only by 1/2 is odd.

J