cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexbox 2.0 Updates far too frequent

senordd
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been noticing that ever since I upgraded my box's software to the Nextbox 2.0 software, it would update almost every day a little past 2AM, granted that most people aren't up around that time and it won't be noticible to most, but the updates shouldn't be automatic be less often so as to not disrupt service so often.

***Edited labels***

40 REPLIES 40

Re: Nexbox 2.0 Updates far too frequent

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
This is a concern that has come up by quite a few. Many have suggested that we be able to change the time of day for it. Hopefully this is something that could be implemented :). May just take some time.

Turlur
I'm Here A Lot

PLEASE give us a firmware update where we can choose when the box updates!!

By setting it to 2am, you make it so we can NEVER record a full program at 2am, and also that's when I actually watch TV.

The PVR feature is cool, but it's not worth the money if it's just going to be stuck this way.. I want to be able to watch TV without interruptions ideally... That would mean I downgrade to the old standard digital box..

It makes me upset that so many people have complained about this issue, yet you haven't fixed it... How long will it take for you to finally make this change for us?

UGH!@

Sincerely,
An unhappy customer.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It MAY be a limit on the new software 😞

But, since you have it, you are on the 8642 Turlur?

You can contact them, to have THAT box, downgraded to the OLD format guide.  Still gives you the PVR functionality, Still HD.. and it DOESNT reboot at 2am.

Only things you loose are the whole home PVR functions.. and i beleive the caller ID on that box, only will work with the new guide.

uiop123
I Plan to Stick Around

@Turlur wrote:

By setting it to 2am, you make it so we can NEVER record a full program at 2am, and also that's when I actually watch TV.

FYI, you can record programs at 2AM.  If you set a recording that will hit the 2AM mark, the software update will happen at a later time, at least from my experience.  

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello uiop123

It all depends. At times it works for me but then again other times it will not work. Its like the software has its own mind & does what it wants.

I rather have the updates NOT be at 2am & not bother the recordings.

byteme
I Plan to Stick Around

They use a script to run these useless updates and nothing happens Ive not yet seen any changes Ive had  scheduled recording disappear and Ive had the box lock up and refuse to let me out of a pay channel unless I ordered it or yanked the plug and it still brought me back to the pay channel I had to manually get to the cntrl buttons on the front to navigate as the update took out the remote.This is all crap and If you don't work for Rogers  they should have someone that does here answer the questions I feel as a paying customere i have that right and calling is useless cause their wanna be techs know less than nothing My box has been updating now fro over  20 minutes what the heck the ROM is bigger than 256 k im sure .Ill wait til Septrember top see what the loyalty program does then im off to another supplier ..

**edited for content**

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You might want to take a peek on this forum, at a thread labeled about 8 tuner PVR.

There is the possibility of a new box on the horizon, which may greatly improve over the current one... as well as a major software revision for the current one.
Not sure HOW soon it will be comming/live though.

Pseudonymous
I've Been Here Awhile

@Turlur wrote:

PLEASE give us a firmware update where we can choose when the box updates!!

The PVR feature is cool, but it's not worth the money if it's just going to be stuck this way.. I want to be able to watch TV without interruptions ideally... That would mean I downgrade to the old standard digital box..

It makes me upset that so many people have complained about this issue, yet you haven't fixed it... How long will it take for you to finally make this change for us?

UGH!@

Sincerely,
An unhappy customer.

I am getting updates at 2am everynight since I got my nextbox 3.0...so  I did a search on this issue and came up with this thread...so this is still an issue since the Nextbox  2.0?  Or has it been resolved?

They should allow people to adjust the time the updates occur instead of forcing people to do it for 15-20 minutes everynight at 2am!

Both the NB2 and the NB3, run the same software.. so its part/problem with the software.

At least the NB3 restarts like 4x as fast at the NB2 >.>

Pseudonymous
I've Been Here Awhile

@Gdkitty wrote:

Both the NB2 and the NB3, run the same software.. so its part/problem with the software.

At least the NB3 restarts like 4x as fast at the NB2 >.>

This blows...I've been watching the olympics and it always cuts out at 2am...really annoying.

Why does it need to 'install software' every night?!

MOSTLY, its downloading guide information.. 
Cant remember how many days forward of guide it stores.. lets say 8 for an example.. you roll into tomorrow, your down to 7 days worth of guide.. its downloading the next day out to have 8 again, etc.

Though.. it dont see why it needs to restart, etc to do that 😞

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I have yet to figure out when updates are done. It seems to be whenever the spirit moves them. However, I haven't noticed too many problems with timing in the past several months.

I also have been watching the Olympics (when I should have been sleeping) and I think maybe once it has interrupted my viewing and then it was just for about 1-2 minutes.  I will say that if it is the guide they are updaing, thay should maybe look into getting whoever has that contract to work at being a bit more accurate.  If it is being updated every night than one would think that some of the programming changes could be updated as well.

SDD
I've Been Here Awhile
They should really give people an option as to when it updates. There are times where it's just a quick reboot, but most of the time it takes 5 min or more. I've also seen it get stuck a few times and I had to reboot the box causing it to take even longer.

Bbuck91
I've Been Here Awhile
But it the lackluster service, is a major advertisement for other companies, recently switched back to rogers because the internet is way better than bells. But the tv service is rediculous. The rogers guide lags behind for like 5 secs whenever you input anything.

Bbuck91
I've Been Here Awhile
Also, bell offers you 4 pvr boxes, for the same price as rogers 1 pvr box and 3 base models.

greggers
I've Been Around

How can we get Rogers to address this so there isn't more people leaving.  This is truly an aggravating issue.  Let us decide when our nextbox's do updates.   When you're watching a movie at 2 am and then lose control of your box this is totally unacceptable.   More people watch tv at 2 a.m. then 5 am.   Let me decide please Rogers

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Bbuck91

Its a small fraction of the cable subscribers that watch TV at 2am rather then 5am. In reality all cable providers push out the updates to fix issues that the older software has. So they may bring this feature out but not anytime soon sadly.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @Bbuck91

Its a small fraction of the cable subscribers that watch TV at 2am rather then 5am. In reality all cable providers push out the updates to fix issues that the older software has. So they may bring this feature out but not anytime soon sadly.

That's very true. As an example, my water softener has 2:00 am as the default regenerating time because that's when most people would be sleeping and not using water. However, it can be changed to any other time if 2:00 am is not suitable for the user.  It's incredible that Rogers does not give customers the option of setting a time window when updates that interfere with viewing and recording are allowed.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Yeah, a bit later than 2am would be nice but for me I can live with that if I have to. What gets me is when the updates occur between midnight and two am. Quite often I am recording programs from midnight until 2 am.
I will say though that for the past year that has seldom been an issue but it still does happen occasionally.

I

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't believe the PVR will reboot if you are recording. So, if you wish to avoid the reboots during this time, set the PVR to record an SD channel, perhaps even a Stingray channel like 726 which takes very little space.

Topic Stats