New to multi-room cable...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

New to multi-room cable...

Do i require a cable decoder in every room w/cable hookup?  The tech installed the cable box in the living room, (works fine, all channels in the package work), but the TV's in the recroom and bedroom only access the basic cable channels (not the extras or ROD)

Can I assume to get full mileage out of my extra TV's I need a cable decoder in the other two rooms?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: New to multi-room cable...

Yes anything above something like channel 54 will require a digital box. Services like pay per view and Rogers on demand also require the digital box. You will need one for each tv if you wish to those services or get all the channels your paying for.

***Update***

Hello everyone,

For information on Analog to Digital Migration and Digital Adapters, please click here.

Hope this helps!

Retired Moderator RogersReggie
Retired Moderator

Hi tanker,

Welcome to the forums.

Chris is correct. You would need to obtain additional digital boxes for each TV if you want to have access to all channels in your package.

@Chris Thanks!
I've Been Here Awhile

much obliged! thx Chris 'n Reggie

tanker
I Plan to Stick Around

Actually you can get channels above channel 70 if you:

1) have a digital TV that has ATSC tuner

2) and the TV has a feature in setup or installation section (usually you can locate it after pressing the Menu button) that allows auto scanning of channels available

This is what I have done by chance on a bedroom TV that has no Roger digital box attached:

1) I activated the REGZA-Link setup

2) I went to the installation section, then went to channel programming section, then [start] channel scanning

The TV scanned for all analog and digital channels that come through the cable.  I now have the analog

1) channels 2 to 70,

2) normal free to air HD channels, such as CBC, CTV and OMNI, (these are free by law)

3) many French channels that I didn't know existed,

4) a large quantity of radio channels that are similar to the ones that your TV in the living room carry.

I'm a Senior Advisor

This is true. If your tv has a digital tuner it can also get un-encrypted digital channels. I just thought Rogers encrypted them all. Thanks for pointing it out Ayu.
Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks all!

@tanker

Don't forget to click on the thumbs up if you like a post!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Chris wrote:
This is true. If your tv has a digital tuner it can also get un-encrypted digital channels. I just thought Rogers encrypted them all. Thanks for pointing it out Ayu.

I have a digital tuner and the digital channels are all encrypted except a few advertising channels with repeat messages about every 30 seconds..

We output the RF signal across our house to the smaller 40" bedroom TV so we can finish watching movies or shows in bed. Thisonly affords one programme at a time in the household but allows us to watch PVR recorded programmes elsewhere, also.

A remote repeater works well for two other locationed TVs to control the PVR and cable tuner from those locations also.

It takes a cable amp to strengthen the signal enough to avoid a lot of analogue snow at the other ends, though.

Also the HDCP system likes to try to stop you from running the HDMI signal while no TV is out there answering it's calls. If you boot up the PVR without the HDMI TV on you will have to press remote buttons to OK that you are not recording the programme on a copying device that won't HDCP signal  talk to the PVR and say "Honest I am a TV!"

HDCP = High Definition CopyRight Protection (used in HDMI cable outputs and causing people to boycott HDMI equipment and connections)