New to Hitron 2.4G/5G router (CGN-3)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: New to Hitron 2.4G/5G router (CGN-3)

@Gdkitty wrote:

BT would likely be with BLUETOOTH

As for newer being better? Not always.

(we were having this argument/discussion with another user in another thread).

Depending on the PRICE of the unit itself seems to be part of it.. and just sometimes how CHEAP the mfg wants to be..

Many new units, dont always have the NEWEST wireless in them.. it could quite possibly have an OLDER or LOWER END wireless card than the other.

To elaborate on this - newer is better stopped being true years and years ago, when talking consumer-grade hardware:

- there were, a few years ago, a whole number of machines sold with processors that were slower than my mom's low-end 2006-era T2050 Core Duo laptop

- in the wireless context specifically, a business laptop from 5 years ago will have dual-band 802.11n (probably an Intel 5100); a brand new consumer laptop is likely to have bottom-of-the-barrel single-stream single-band 802.11n. (A few high-end machines will have 802.11ac)

Newer is more power-efficient, but better? Very debatable.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

True enough, GD.  But if we're assuming the Atheros accepts a 5G signal (even tho not in my case it seems), I guess we can say it's more modern but maybe not better.  Who knows?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well folks, having worked for computer manufactures for years, its best to find one you like and trust and go with their products. They may cost more but at least you do not get ulcers (as often).
I will not get into which one.
Regards
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so it looks like there is some issue with the Asus laptop when it comes to streaming video. There are a couple things to try. First is to look for any errors that might be logged in the system log file. Navigate to Control Panel…..Administrative Tools….Event Viewer….Windows Logs…..System. Have a look at the System log around the times that you experienced the drop outs when viewing Netflix and see if any warnings or errors were logged. Also have a look for any information entries that might give you some idea as to what might be driving the failures. You could always start a Netflix session and wait for the next failure to occur and then see if anything has been logged at the top of the system log. That might make it easier to find.

Beyond that you could run a few experiments to determine if this might be a wifi issue or hdmi streaming issue. The thing to remember is that the wifi mini-cards, if they are both capable of running 300 Mb/s with dual data streams, will end up with slightly different background noise calculations, which in turn affects the wifi performance. Is there enough of a difference to cause the Asus to drop out of the network? That is a good question. The other issue that I would consider is heating effects. I know on our Acer laptop, I had to select the HDMI output as the primary video output, but I can’t remember if disables the laptop screen output or not. Do you only end up with a single video output, or does the laptop screen continue to run? I can see that having both running might cause internal heating, but does it push the internal temps up enough to cause a failure? Only way to know is to try a few trial runs. Here is what I would try:

1. Run Netflix at your normally selected resolution without HDMI streaming. Use the laptop screen only and ensure that the HDMI output is disabled. Does it fail, yes or no?
  2. If it fails, run the test again at a lower resolution, again without HDMI streaming. Does it fail, yes or no. If it does, rerun the test with lower resolution. At some point, you will hopefully arrive a resolution that runs without failure.
  3. If it didn’t fail step one, run the test with HDMI streaming, but try a resolution that is one step lower than what you normally run. Does it fail, yes or no? If yes, run the test again with a lower resolution. Keep stepping the resolution down until you arrive a point where it doesn’t fail (hopefully). If it didn’t fail the initial stepped down resolution, increase the resolution one level and run the test again. Maybe at the initial point, that resolution setting will allow it to operate and not fail.

By reduced resolution, I’m referring to the streaming levels available from Netflix. Everytime you step down one resolution level you reduce the wifi data streaming, load on the CPU and load on the GPU. If your laptop GPU has separate resolution output settings, that throws another variable into the works.

My thinking here is that this is a fairly new laptop, but like anything, it may have its limits, especially with the CPU and GPU running near maximum output levels. You could load CoreTemp to monitor the CPU temps and see if they max out at all. That would give you some idea of whether or not heating is a problem. If it comes to that determination, you could sit the laptop on a frozen cooler pack. Sounds a little strange but I’ve used this to recover data from an overheating and failing hard drive. Keep the device cool enough and it will perform as you would expect it to. If there are ports on the laptop for air circulation, ensure that those are not covered due to how the laptop is located. Here’s the link for CoreTemp:

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Hopefully after a couple test runs you will have a better idea of what the problem is.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Aha!  It's not a Netflix issue.  Stepping back, I did use the Acer for Netflix tonight and experienced the drops.  Went into the logs and saw the two warnings co-inciding with the drops.  Both DNS Client Events as the source, event id 1014. Both say almost the same thing:  Name resolution for the name "ocsp.entrust.net" timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.  The second warning had 'watson.telemetry.microsoft.com' in the quotes.

So I keep using the Acer to read over your posts and do some web surfing, very basic stuff.  Guess what happens?  My internet drops, of course.  Same warning type with a different site in the quotes from above.  My webpage isn't found so I press the 'Fix Diagnostic' button.  Says my connection to the internet is broken but it isn't.  The lights on the modem are steady.  I use my Toshiba all day and this never happens.

I guess I gotta go to Acer (or somebody not Rogers).  If there is a soution out there datalink, maybe you can help.  But I think I've used up enough time here on the Rogers site for a non-Rogers issue.

Thanks for everything, all.  I'll check back but might not respond again.  We'll see what I can find out elsewhere.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Still here.  I found this diagnostic result in the logs.  I turned my Power Options to High Performance from Balanced.  Solution?  Let's hope.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Networking
Date:          2015-01-01 9:54:19 PM
Event ID:      4000
Task Category: Diagnosis Success
Level:         Information
Keywords:      (70368744177664),Core Events
User:          LOCAL SERVICE
Computer:      Visualize-PC
Description:
The Network Diagnostics Framework has completed the diagnosis phase of operation. The following repair option was offered:

Helper Class Name: RNWF MSM Helper Class

Root Cause: The wireless access point "DeutscheCesky" might not be compatible with maximum wireless power-saving mode

Root Cause Guid: {288635ce-c287-4c7b-bcc6-070889c61cc3}

Repair option: Change the power-saving setting on your access point from maximum to medium
The wireless network you are trying to reach might not be compatible with wireless power-saving mode.
Changing the setting to medium will improve performance and compatibility with older access points but might reduce battery life.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hey, don't worry about using up time on the Rogers forum.  The problem leads where it leads.  It happens.  Hopefully we, as in other forum members and I can come up with an appropriate simple solution.  It almost looks like there are applications running periodic routines in the background that are causing problems with the internet connection when they fire up.  The first one leads back to www.entrust.net, which appears to deal with SSL Certificates.  There must be a program running that is calling home for some reason.  Personal opinion, if you don't need it, unload the program or find some way to stop the calls.  The second one appears to be Windows Dr. Watson calling home with user error data.   You can turn off Dr Watson permanently.  Here are a couple links to that procedure, which is basically deleting an entry in the Windows Registry:

https://support.microsoft.com/KB/188296

http://windowsitpro.com/systems-management/how-can-i-disable-dr-watson

The other item to consider is your choice of Domain Name Server.  Since I don't know what you currently use, consider using Google or OpenDNS.  Changing the server might alleviate the problem as well.

If you need any more info from your internet connection, you could always load Wireshark and run a data capture until the problem occurs and then look at the data to see what address the programs are attempting to use.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Well my genius power idea was a bust.  Every 30 mins the internet drops.  And I have two more different sites that were given in the warnings.  cp21999.edgefcs.net and win8.ipv6.microsoft.com.  Deifferent everytime.

This is an Acer right out of the box with minimal downloaded by me crap on it.  I haven't knowingly downloaded Dr. Watson and any other crap that these sites point to.  I have no idea.

Well Datalink, thx again.  You got rather technical in the last post for my level.  Might just have to restore to factory settings andstart again. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nope don't do a factory reset yet.  It looks like the Domain Name Server is slow.  If you haven't changed it, that would probably mean that you are using the default Rogers server.  What does it do?  When you type in an address in the address bar of the browser, it goes out to the server and requests the real address.  The DNS comes back with the real IP address for the browser to use.  If that server is slow to respond, you will have problems, such as what you are seeing.  The DNS server address on the CGN3 is found at BASIC.....DNS.  If that entry is blank you will be using the Rogers DNS.  You can also see that by bringing up a command prompt and typing IPCONFIG /ALL.  In the list of data will be the DNS address.  You can use whatever server you want to.  Google for example is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4   OpenDNS is 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220  You would switch the DNS obtain to MANUAL, and type whatever server address you want into the DNS 1 and DNS 2 address on the CGN3 DNS page.  I suspect that you might have to reboot the modem after the change.  This is one of the few items that users have under their control, and you are under no obligation to use the ISP server, no matter which ISP you might be using.  There is another way to set this, and that is by drilling down into the TCP/IP settings for the pc or laptop connection.  Normally its set to Auto, which then causes it to pick up the Domain Name Server from the router.  You can switch it to a manual entry, and once again, type in the address of the server that you prefer to use.  Here is a Microsoft Windows page link that shows the change location:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/change-tcp-ip-settings#1TC=windows-7

Edit:  Fwiw, I use OpenDns, with the addresses set in the CGN3 DNS fields.  I've never had any problems using OpenDNS, and reading online, there are a number of complaints about the Rogers DNS performance.  So, chances are, you are experiencing what everyone else is complaining about.  Its interesting that you don't see that with the other laptop, but if changing DNS addresses makes a difference, don't hesitate to use it.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Been watching this thread, but Datalink has been handling it great 🙂

ONE thing to possibly try...

The MS url which is failing on.. gave me the thought.

I know we had a few desktops here at work which were having some random disconect/drop issues..

What solved it for us?
Was in the network properties settings.. was TURN OFF/ disable the IPv6... its like it was trying to obtain an address randomly.. and killing all connections, etc.