New rates...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

New rates...

I'm not pleased with the new rates coming out in May for my PAYGO phone. I normally purchase $100 worth of credit on my phones, obviously which is payment in advance for the time I'll use. That being the case, Rogers should have allowed that payment to expire at the current rate before charging the new rates... going from .35 to .50 and .15 to .25, not double the old rate, but almost! With a phone I use for my 86 year old mother in law, she's got almost $300 in credit as she uses it for emergencies, for which her services have been bought and paid for long ago at the lower rate. 

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: New rates...

First of all, if you have over $100 balance on your Paygo, $100 of it can be used for renewing.  Rogers does not publicize this, but a few years ago I received a letter when I had over $200 that I could do this.  At the time I was nowhere close to my renewal date, but it turns out it wasn't some kind of one-time offer and I was able to get the credit when I eventually renewed at the Rogers store. I have been doing that ever since, until a couple of months ago, when Rogers told me I couldn't renew at the store anymore. I ended up calling the Rogers number and after repeatedly hitting "0", was able to get transferred to an agent who renewed my account drawing from the balance.  All agents may not be familiar with this method, so keep explaining what you need done until you get transferred to someone knowledgeable. This option is not available through the automated service. 

As for the Paygo rates, they're starting to become ridiculous. I believe when I started less than 10 years ago, it was 20 cents per minute. It's now 35 cents and I just received a text that it's going up to 50 cents on May 6. That's EIGHT times the rate of inflation! That's unbelievable! No wonder Canadian cellphone rates among the highest in the world.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

New rates...

I just found out that as of May 06th, 2015 Rogers pay as you go rate per minute will spike from 25c to 50c. Seriously? Rogers just doubles overnight the amount per minute they charge? This is outrageous. I can not think of any other company that would treat its customer the same way. Anybody else shocked? Time to change provider I guess.

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

New rates...

I don't know what kind of PayGo plan you have but mine is currently 35 cents/min and is going up to 50 cents in May, whichis still a steep increase. If I recall, when I started with PayGo about 10 years ago it was 20 cents/min, so the increase over 10 years is more than double the rate of inflation. That still puts Rogers in the gouging category.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a pay as you go "By the Month - Talk, Text & Internet 20", and after thorough research a few years ago, I opted for Rogers as it seemed then straigh forward with a no-surprise-flat-rate of 25c/mn. Talk about being stabbed in the back.

So the 100% hike to 50c/mn absolutely baffles me. Together with the utmost lacking in consideration by Rogers for its customers. 

I am presently shopping around and encourage everyone in doing so. Virgin is offering 40c/mn. In my case, Telus is now by far the most attractive: 15c/mn with a monthly plan comparable to what I had with Rogers. Thanks Rogers for making me look around and compare with the competitors.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

My PayGo plan is pretty simple. I get the $100 voucher for a year and never use it all up. The rate now is 35¢/min now, going to 50¢/min in May. I think texts are 25¢. Since I can roll over $100 of my balance to renew as it builds up, it's not very expensive. However, if you really want to save money, 7-11 Speakout is 25¢/min and all their fillups, from $25 to $100 are good for a whole year, so it's a lot cheaper than Rogers.