New phone unrelated to upgrading

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

New phone unrelated to upgrading

My boss has a slide out keyboard Samsung phone that stopped holding a charge.  Just over a year old.  He replaced the battery with a new one a month or two ago, and it is doing the same thing all over again.

Last time I talked to Rogers about this and mentioned getting a new phone and putting his SIM in it they seemed to say that that wasn't possible without paying out his contract and buying a new phone, but I feel like this is false.  There's no reason we shouldn't be able to put his SIM card in a new Samsung or an iPhone and continue on with Rogers none the wiser, correct?

Just looking for some clarification on this matter.

Thank you.

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: New phone unrelated to upgrading

Hello chartyourway

If you buy a phone from someone else or somewhere else You are allowed to put in ur sim card and continue with ur plan and contract without paying any fees. All u need to do is insert the sim card into another Rogers locked or unlocked device and it should work just fine.  

The ONLY time you need to pay the upgrade fee aka Flextab is when buying or upgrading with Rogers and getting a device via Rogers. That's the only time they will make u pay any fee.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello chartyourway

If you buy a phone from someone else or somewhere else You are allowed to put in ur sim card and continue with ur plan and contract without paying any fees. All u need to do is insert the sim card into another Rogers locked or unlocked device and it should work just fine.  

The ONLY time you need to pay the upgrade fee aka Flextab is when buying or upgrading with Rogers and getting a device via Rogers. That's the only time they will make u pay any fee.  

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

haha thank you for the "reps are known to give false information" part, that is what I needed to hear! Real nice to be lied to by my service provider. /Thanks Rogers, a real pal you guys are./ Meowmix on the other hand is awesome.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello chartyourway

Its not Rogers only that does this. All carriers and all companies do this believe me. You will have a hard time finding a real Rep which will be helpful and give you the proper information. It seems like reps are getting less training and lack of training which isn't making anything better but its making it worse. As much as i don't want to say this, it seems like all companies don't train their call centre reps to the point or it seems the reps don't really care to give thr proper information.  It called also be due to the eay a customer i asking the question and the Rep can grt confused and give the wrong information. Dealt with it within many companies before. 

Don't worry what the Rep says. You can get another device let's say from Kijiji or from a friend and add the sim card into it. As long as its w Rogers locked device or unlocked device which can run on this Rogers frequencies, then u are all set :). You don't need to pqy money to add a sim card into another phone that way.