New modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

New modem

The new modem as I understand it is dual band. Someone just moved in next door is causing havoc om my Hitron. Is the new dual modem bug free yet? I understood when it first came out there were problems. Is it worth swaping out my old one to the dual?

***edited labels***

Steve
Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New modem

Maybe a channel change might solve the problem.  InSSider, a wifi monitoring program allows you to check for channel interference that you might be suspecting at the present time.  This a link to the freebie download:  http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html  Note that this has become a pay program which now has 802.11ac capability, but the previous version should suffice for now.  Load that on your laptop and have a look at the various places in your house to see where the interference is causing issues. 

Yes, the newer Hitron CGN3 does work after it recieves the latest firmware version.  That takes about 3 to 4 days after you have brought it home and have it up and running.  Getting up into the 5 Ghz band for wifi, where there is no one else around makes a considerable improvement, even with the Hitron CGN3.

The majority of advice you will see here is to bridge the Rogers modem / router so that it operates as a modem only, and buy a third party router which will give you much better wi-fi performance compared to any of the Rogers products.  This is result of a combination of external antennas, better processor, and much better user interface which gives you greater control over router functionality itself.  This control capability in many cases does not exist within the Rogers products.

Before you make the leap to something like a Dual Band router, like the Rogers, or other third party products, have a carefull look at all of your pc's, laptops, phones, and tablets to see if in fact they support 5 Ghz wireless.  If they do, then it will make sense to make that leap.  If not, also consider your future acquisition plans which will no doubt come with 5 Ghz, and possibly 802.11ac or possibly ad capability.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree.. take a look at what you have.

IF you dont have any dual band capable devices (or say only 1+ phones does, but no other devices)... it might not be worth the change over.

At minimum.. if you are getting interfearance from another source... all you might need, is a channel change on the 2.4 to get it away from what the others is on.

The PROBLEMS with the hitron, are pretty much gone.. at least those specific ones which were happenign then.
The only remaining one (or might be a side efect of the other fixes), is that SOME 10/100 only devices, have problems linking properly to the CGN3.. If you have a gigabit switch, or wired network care, it should be fine.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Channel change was t first thing I tried. One channel wasnt to bad then it crapped out on me again. Rogers said take it in and get the dual band...thats where I'm heaed in abit.

Steve