New firmware for Lumia 900

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New firmware for Lumia 900

Anybody else unable to launch the camera app with the camera button (when the phone is asleep) after getting the Tango update?

I used to be able to launch the camera when the phone was asleep simply by pressing and holding the shutter button.  AFter the Tango update it's become unresponsive.  It will still work to take pictures or launch the camera when the phone is unlocked but trying to launch the camera when the phone is asleep doesn't work anymore.

I read elsewhere that this is a widespread problem.....

I Plan to Stick Around

Mine still works fine with tango, did you perhaps also get the firmware update?  Still waiting on that to come through for me...

I Plan to Stick Around

My goodness this has got to be the worst phone i ever own. I've been having this purple issue since i got this phone and it's been burning through my eyes in the middle of the night just to look at the super bright screen. Bloody volume rocker that never works, bloody headset control that never works, bloody echo when talking to my friends. Gosh! is this a smartphone or pain in the *** phone? 

What's so bloody hard to update the firmware??

I Plan to Stick Around

@Footsoldier wrote:

My goodness this has got to be the worst phone i ever own. I've been having this purple issue since i got this phone and it's been burning through my eyes in the middle of the night just to look at the super bright screen. Bloody volume rocker that never works, bloody headset control that never works, bloody echo when talking to my friends. Gosh! is this a smartphone or pain in the *** phone? 

What's so bloody hard to update the firmware??

Wow!  I understand about the purple screen, but for me it typically goes away as the light sensor figures out where it is.  And even being purple doesn't really affect visibility.  As for super bright screen -- I have my screen brightness set to 'auto' and it seems to find a nice balance in all sorts of lighting situations.

If the volume rocker isn't working -- that sounds like a hardware issue.  The Headset volume controls may be due to using a non-Nokia set of ear-buds(?).  I've heard that the Apple ones have their own 'wiring' for the headset volume, so they won't work in most other phones.

The echo on phone calls could be due to a number of factors -- the auto volume control setting on your phone, bad cellular connection, etc. etc.  If the issue is continuous, I would definitely call up Rogers Tech Support and complain.

Firmware updates come through a number of 'gates' -- first it has to be developed by the manufacturer (Nokia).  In this case, this was done quite a while ago, as the AT&T phones were updated to get rid of the purple tint months ago.  Then, it has go through 'testing' by the carriers (Rogers).  Not sure where this is, as Rogers is keeping mum on this firmware update right now -- some tech support are disavowing any knowledge of it at all!

Finally, once those two are finished with it, and Rogers gives the go-ahead, then it has to be 'scheduled' through Microsoft's Zune servers for delivery to your phone -- and that usually takes a week or so. Patience is definitely a requirement here.

/drt
I Plan to Stick Around

Wish Rogers would comment on a timetable for release
I Plan to Stick Around

Could not agree more!

Could we have some answers Rogers? Please!

I Plan to Stick Around

I know there is an auto brightness setting, just that whenever the brightness is low it has that ugly purple hue which i can't stand of. So, i put it on medium manually. Trade off is that i have to burn my eyes at the mid of night! For the volume rocker, it doesn't work properly when the screen is off (same with camera button), and also i don't see much changes when it goes lower than 5/30. It is a bugger when i'm playing games in a quiet environment that i put 1/30 it is still loud as **bleep** and forced to silence it.

For the headset im using nokia monster headset, volume rocker or play/pause button (on the headset) do not work as well when screen is off. What is the point of having those buttons when i have to turn on the screen to even use it.

For the echo thing, whenever i talk to anyone, if volume is set too high, people are hearing echos on the other side. I think is the microphone being too near to the speakerphone, and the noise cancelling algorithm/program do not work properly to cancel the noise. I have to set the volume to 5/10 to be useable. Now comes the issue with volume control again, my nokia bluetooth speaker is too low at 5/10 to hear anything so i have to put 10/10 when using bluetooth n vice versa. Do you see the mess? I just want my phone to function all the basics properly. Even these it can't do.

i'm enough with the complains, if these issues are not fixed, i will hold on to this phone until wp8 or iphone5 come out. But i've got to be careful when looking at a nokia wp8 phones...

I Plan to Stick Around

Seems like my camera button is working again.

I too have the purple hue, but I'm a firm believer that we'll get the update to fix this problem.  When...I don't know, but we will.  Just have a little patience and try not to even think about it.  As is, I keep the brightness set to medium and I'm fine with that setting.  It would be nice to have the option to set it to low...and I guess we do technically have the option but I really can't stand the purple hue either haha.

I also have a problem with volume too.  I don't really care about being able to change the volume while I'm listening to music and the phone is locked.....but what I do find odd is that you can't really get the volume to be quiet.  I think 20-30 you'll hear a change in volume, but there isn't much of a difference in volume from 10 to 20 and same goes for 1-10.  You'd think that 5 would be louder than 1, but nope. 

Really not a big deal to me though.  I'd like the changes, but as is, I have nothing to complain about.  There are easy work arounds for both of my issues. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Oh, and Footsoldier, compared to my friends with Iphone and Android I have WAY less problems compared to them. 

You want a phone that just works and the basics are covered.   I've used them all and I find Windows phones to be the only ones that just work without having to do a lot of tweaking.  I don't need to spend my time in settings to get things just right because it already is............well....aside from the volume issue.

If you really aren't happy though, I say give Nokia another chance and grab a wp8 phone.  They build phones like tanks haha.

I Plan to Stick Around

I love my Lumia and in the scheme of things these are annoying minor things. I just want a fix. I see that AT&T has the update in the pipe for the 900. Now where is ours. Its past end of July.