New firmware for Lumia 900

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New firmware for Lumia 900

@gorebashd wrote:
I love my Lumia and in the scheme of things these are annoying minor things. I just want a fix. I see that AT&T has the update in the pipe for the 900. Now where is ours. Its past end of July.

Yea, come on, Rogers.. it doesn't take THAT long to test out a new version to make sure it doesn't impact the one or two apps you add to the base O/S...

Please????

Oh, and does this new version fix the problems with Name Display?????? :-)

/drt
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Guys,

I've spent the last week calling both Rogers and Nokia Canada out with regards to the issues that continue to be overlooked by both as well as the lack of any concrete information pertaining to the firmware update to address the purple screen tints our phone currently face.

I've filed a complaint with the BBB with regards to my own situation outlining the fact that Rogers and Nokia both refuse to replace my phone with a brand new unit versus a refurbished unit which was sent back to them by other consumers.  I believe when I signed up for Rogers, I was receiving a brand new working phone.  This was not the case as the phone was defective.  I now expect them to uphold the contract by correcting their mistake by providing me with New working unit versus someone elses renewed phone.

We all paid for a brand new phone and most of us who picked up the phone the first week it was released all had issues like the purple screen, loud rattling when the phone vibrates and volume rockers not functioning correctly. I'm pretty sure this is not what we signed up for when we chose to support Nokia in their first venture back into the Canadian market and I don't plan to let them get away with a lack of quality control on their products as well as their crappy customer service let alone Rogers and their crappy customer serivce. 

If anybody is interested in being heard, take to twitter and let Rogers, Nokia and Microsoft know how displeased we are with the way the phone, software and updates have been handled here in Canada.  Hopefully if all of us come together to echo our issues, someone might actually listen.

I've currently started posting on twitter with the following : #LumiaFail, #Rogers, @rogershelps, @nokiacanada

If you guys are interested in doing the same and use other tags, reply so others can get the topic trending and maybe then Rogers and Nokia Canada will take us more seriously.

I Plan to Stick Around

Good idea. I have questioned both @rogershelps and Nokia and each point to the other to ask. The lack of communication is annoying. Just give a straight answer even if it's a negative ins
I Plan to Stick Around

Great!! Glad to hear someone agrees with me!

Lets get the ball rolling and hopefully we can get more people on board with this effort.  It really is sad that we have to go to these measures to make these companies hear our concerns!!

I Plan to Stick Around

Guys, if the purple screen is really causing you that much greif there is a somewhat "official" way to upgrade to the latest firmware/os.  There is a tutorial over at XDA dev (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1605144) .

Note I say "official" as there is nothing hacky about this procedure, you're using official nokia support tools to flash the official nokia factory firmware to your phone, the firmware is even downloaded by you direct from nokia servers, there is literally no third party software/tools/hacks involved.  I did this on my rogers lumia 900 last night, my firmware/os versions are identical to those that got replacement phones from the "new batch" from nokia.  It's extremely straight forward, once you have everything downloaded/installed it only takes a few minutes to upgrade your phone.  Nokia care suite won't let you flash the wrong firmware to your phone unless you do some hacking, so it really is near impossible to mess up, just use product code RM-808 (it detects your product code for you anyway) and select the rogers firmware with the correct color option for you phone.

I did see some mention of this meaning you might not be able to update through zune, but I also saw people who have done this with the lumia 800 have no issues updating through zune (specifically getting the tango update).  I have a feeling those that found this breaking zune updates wheren't installing the official firmware for their device (i.e. putting the ATT build on our phones).  In fact as all of this is official nokia support software I wouldn't be surprised if this technique wouldn't be endorsed by nokia as an official factory reset method, I havn't confirmed this though.

OS Version : 7.10.8779.8

Firmware : 2175.2301.8779.12222

In terms of resuls, all issues I've heard people complain of on here are resolved, and in fact my phone actually feels noticably faster (even after re-installing all my apps).   If you're willing to put that much effort into getting a phone update, it's far more efficient to spend an hour or two re-installing your apps then it is to spend 10 times that complaining on the phone and writing petitions.  Note it's a good idea to make a list of your favorite apps before flashing, and use the reinstaller app to help out with kicking off the installs.

Random question : is there a way to check the carrier unlock status of the phone? I want to confirm this hasn't re-locked my phone (I actually use it on rogers, so I can't be sure).  Either way the IMEI hasn't changed, so the previous unlock code should still work.

I Plan to Stick Around

By the way, feel free to ask any questions about specific issues being resolved, I don't mind trying things out.  I also forgot to mention that with NaviFirm Plus (nokia fimeware browser) you can still lookup and download the original factory firmware that our phones came with out of the box (2175.1000.8107.12082/12084) restoring to that should resolve any zune update issues if they even exist.

This firmware has been sitting here waiting for rogers to signoff on it for weeks, it's already been given to customers that bought new phones or got replacements from the new batch, so the holdup can be nothing more than red tape/laziness.  The update process on windows phone is definately frustrating Smiley Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

That is cool, iceman, thank you. I think i will flash it.

My current phone is unlocked, will this lock-up my phone? iceman, can you perhaps try a different carrier sim card on it please? 

I Plan to Stick Around

Sure, i'll try out my buddies fido microsim and let you know what happens.  I expect it to be fine, even if it is locked the unlock code should still work as it's tied to the IMEI, not the firmware.

I Plan to Stick Around

I just flashed the phone, its awesome, no locking up the phone. Brightness is fine now, camera works better (although still pretty ****). 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Footsoldier wrote:

I just flashed the phone, its awesome, no locking up the phone. Brightness is fine now, camera works better (although still pretty ****). 

Hmmm.. I tried the links in the forum message, and I could get the SFX file OK, but the links to Nokia Care Suite, etc. were very confusing and wanted to download a whole load of extra cr*p (video downloaders, meda finders, babylon web search) that I didn't want.  I eventually gave up as I couldn't get a 'clean, installable' version of Nokia Care Suite.

/drt