New firmware for Lumia 900

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iceman153
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New firmware for Lumia 900

A couple hints here, one,

- don't bother downloading the OEM roms from the forum post, you do that in the tool and the link on that post is for the ATT rom anyway, not ours. 

- when downloading nokia care suite and data package manager just click on the link in the forum post, ignore any download buttons you see (mirror creater is really annoying...), scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see a spinning icon stating "Fetching download links".  Watch that for 30 seconds or so and it'll turn into a bunch of links of different mirror sites with the file.  I found Game Front the best mirror, it's fast and doesn't have as much junk to sift through to find the download link, so head over to the game front site by clicking the download link for it.  At game front The big Download Now button right in the middle is actually the download link, just hit that and it should start, you might need to click the click here to download link on the next page, it downloaded at 2-3mb/s for me.

- once you have the files watch the video for a tutorial on what to do, you might need to install the visual C++ runtime, but the installer gives you a link to it from microsoft.

- let me know if you get stuck, i'm glad to help out 🙂

View solution in original post

iceman153
I Plan to Stick Around

Also, FYI I can confirm that the phone remains unlocked after doing this procedure.

Footsoldier
I Plan to Stick Around

Hmm u must have gotten it wrong. Only download "nokia care suite" and "nokia data package manager".

Follow what he said on the video, and you will be fine.

Footsoldier
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks iceman, im enjoying my phone awesomely
John555
I Plan to Stick Around

Can one of you who updated to 8779 via Nokia Care Suite confirm if the Diagnostic app has been changed, any new settings such as APN Configuration like the Diagnostic App found on the Lumia 800?

To open the Diagnostic app go to the phone dialpad and enter: ##634#

Check if there is an APN Configuration

Click on ...  and select About and check the Diagnostic App Version

See if any other new items have been added

The current pre-8779 Diagnostic App is as follows (any new items added):

Diagnostic App Version: 1.13.01

Run All Tests

Accelerometer

ALS

Audio Loopback

Camera

Battery Status

DTMF

Gyroscope

Hardware Buttons

Headset Detection

LCD White

Lights

Life Timer

Magnetometer

Power Source

Proximity

Speaker

Touch

Vibra

Thanks Much

iceman153
I Plan to Stick Around

Interesting question, the diagnostic app has been changed, it's now version number 1.17.1.0.  However APN configuration was not added, the only new item is NFC.  A windows phone 8 feature...  when I open it it just says NFC not supported.

John555
I Plan to Stick Around

iceman153 wrote: Interesting question, the diagnostic app has been changed, it's now version number 1.17.1.0.  However APN configuration was not added, the only new item is NFC.  A windows phone 8 feature...  when I open it it just says NFC not supported.

That's interesting, wonder why they would add it. I suspect, either they forgot to remove it or there will be a Lumia 900 refresh with new internals for WP8...

drtolson
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, Iceman... it worked fine last night!  Happily on 8779 now.

Just a note to others"

a) you really DO need to watch the video on the XDA-Developer thread.  There's good hints there on what you see and how to make things work.

b) The video is a bit misleading regarding the use of 'Recovery' vs 'Refurbish' in Nokia Care Suite.  I did a 'Recovery' as suggested, but it still hard reset the phone, completely wiping out everything that was there before.  Not a biggie, but there is an inference that this is better than the Refurbish option, when they (I think) do about the same thing.

Also, I thought there were options now for copying/retrieving contacts to my SIM card.  I can't seem to find those under SIM applications.  I'll keep looking tho...

/drt
iceman153
I Plan to Stick Around

Glad the info was helpful 🙂  On the SIM contacts front, the first time I opened my people hub it prompted me if I want to important sim contacts.  If you didn't get that there is a nokia app called "contacts tranfer", i've never used it but I suspect it should do that.   Note I'd highly reccomend you sync you contacts with an online service like gmail/hotmail/yahoo/exchange, then you don't have to worry about having any info on your sim card, and makes recovering from a reset that muche easier 🙂

Cheers,

Mark

drtolson
I Plan to Stick Around

@iceman153 wrote:

Glad the info was helpful 🙂  On the SIM contacts front, the first time I opened my people hub it prompted me if I want to important sim contacts.  If you didn't get that there is a nokia app called "contacts tranfer", i've never used it but I suspect it should do that.   Note I'd highly reccomend you sync you contacts with an online service like gmail/hotmail/yahoo/exchange, then you don't have to worry about having any info on your sim card, and makes recovering from a reset that muche easier 🙂

Cheers,

Mark

Yea, I got the prompt on the first time into People Hub, which is fine, but what about copying the contacts TO the SIM card?  That's the one I'm trying to find.

For tho, all of my Contacts are retained in Corporate Outlook, Linked In and Facebook, so they are automagically downloaded when I reconnect.

/drt