New Year New Password - ISNS and email Notification

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

New Year New Password - ISNS and email Notification

Hello there.  I received the following message when browsing: - Not sure why but my router is in bridge mode.  I do see the wifi light (2.4Gz lit) but I'm not seeing that SSID show up on my devices.  Should this message be ignored?

Logo

An Important Message about Your Wi-Fi Network Settings

Dear Valued Customer,

Our installation records show that you did not change the default settings for the Wi-Fi network name and password for your Rogers Internet modem. Continuing to rely on these default name and password settings can leave your home network vulnerable. We strongly encourage you to personalize your Wi-Fi network name and password in order to increase your online security and protection.

Welcoming in the New Year is a great time to set new passwords for everything you do online - from your banking to your home Wi-Fi to your social media accounts.

You can click here for tips on how to set a strong password, and how to personalize your home Wi-Fi network name and password. Let's welcome in the New Year with stronger passwords that protect you.

All the best,

Rogers

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: New Year New Password - ISNS and email Notification

Good Afternoon @ssingh1234,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

The reason you received this email is because we are running a New Year, New Password campaign and we want to reach out to people to make sure they are best protected.

If you don’t have a password on your home Wi-Fi network, or if you have left the factory default setting, then you are more vulnerable.

We’ve sent folks an email to let them know they should be making that New Year’s resolution to set a new password to help keep their connection safe.

Hope this helps!

@RogersGabrielle

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is a thread at dslreports concerning this issue.  If your modem is in Bridge mode, then you should not be seeing this message.  The fact that you are seeing it brings up the issue of injecting Rogers content into the web page that you are viewing.  Some people won't mind, while others see it as being completely inappropriate.  I'll leave it at that.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30517426-Friendly-reminder-from-Rogers-to-change-my-WiFi-password

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah... someone who is bridged, SHOULDNT see this as those are disabled..
The settings are there yes? But.. not active.. so should be moot.

At min, to remove this sort of message, easiest way would be to und bridge for a bit, go and change them, then re bridge.. then there would be nothing to trigger it.

--------------

Yeah.. the injection iself, is another whole kettle of fish..

I know they used to do the same for Internet usage annoucements... not sure if they do it anymore...

(i also use a different DNS, which may effect it)

The whole that they should be inecting ANYTHING.. is the possible problem 😞

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Speak of the devil...

I just got this.. but NOT via insertion.
I got it, via EMAIL on my registered email account for my rogers stuff.

So it seems that they are checking everyone.

While mine is not BRIDGED.. i am not using the wifi.. i have my own set up as an AP.
But they were set at default.

Going to change them now.. hopefully no more notifications.

And by some trial and error.. some tips:

Enable both the 2.4 and save.
change the SSID and save
go to the security tab, and then change the password (can not save this if not enabled)

go back and turn off 2.4.

Do the same for the 5

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Good Afternoon @ssingh1234,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

The reason you received this email is because we are running a New Year, New Password campaign and we want to reach out to people to make sure they are best protected.

If you don’t have a password on your home Wi-Fi network, or if you have left the factory default setting, then you are more vulnerable.

We’ve sent folks an email to let them know they should be making that New Year’s resolution to set a new password to help keep their connection safe.

Hope this helps!

@RogersGabrielle

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

OK.   I got the message inserted  and an email today.  My CGN3 is bridged and so I ignored it  BUT I DO think it is a good idea to have a notification like this once in a while.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

This just popped up right across my screen, but why?  Considering I don't even have the Wi-Fi turned on.  The Modem is in Bridged Mode and always has been....unless someone at Rogers has gone in there and changed something.

Capture.JPG

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So - did they actually check their "records" - or just carpet bomb everybody with a modem ?

My modem has always been in bridged mode with wi-fi disabled. No need for a new password. 

Did they actually check anything  (and how ?).  

Interesting that my desktop which uses a VPN didn't suffer this "injection" - it popped up on my iPad which does not have VPN access.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This must be a system wide scan, checking the values stored in the modem's wifi network names and passwords.  Those would be used in Gateway mode and stored and ready for use when the modem is in Bridge mode.  In either case, they would be accessible to Rogers in a system wide check, in either Gateway or Bridge mode.  Its always a good idea to remind users to change the parameters off of the default parameters.  I won't go into the issue of injecting Rogers messages into your web pages.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Same, i got it on my ipad, which is just into the default with rogers.. but not my laptop (which uses a different DNS server).

I still think they DID check stuff.. just not for the right things, per say.

All the wireless/security stuff, is all on the same section.  My guess is their 'scan' or whatever that is seening who needs to get this, only looks at that section.
That section, is STILL THERE even if you are in bridge.. its just OFF.

That the scan or whatever.. didn't check the if in bridge mode or not setting is on/off.