cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New US roaming addon

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

http://www.connectedrogers.ca/news/travel-in-the-u-s-will-never-be-the-same-with-roam-like-home/

Just saw this today.
While it doesn't 'add' anything, for $5 a day, what it does is then extends whatever your current plan details are, to be in the US as well... Same amount of data, etc.

Not so sure on this. For short trip might be better, especially if you have a larger pool of data to begin with.

Not so sure on smaller data plans. But if you can stay within your normal monthly limit... Still cheaper than 7.99 /50mb

(Addon requires to be on a share everything plan)

***Edited Labels.***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: New US roaming addon

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi everyone!

You can find more info in our Blog Post here: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/blogs/blogarticlepage/blog-id/CommunityBlog/article-id/258

And:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/travel

http://redboard.rogers.com/2014/introducing-roam-like-home-a-brand-new-way-to-roam-in-the-u-s/

If you have a Share Everythng Plan and plan to or have used Roam Like Home, let us know in our Blog above! We'd love to hear from you.

RogersDarrell

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

reNew US roaming addon

KWoo
I Plan to Stick Around

My boyfriend uses his Samsung Galaxy Note II in the States for 4 weeks out of every 6 weeks and whenever possible he turns off the data and runs via WIFI at hot spots, hotels, etc.  However, when he does actually use data roaming I assume he's going to incur an extra cost which I understand.  Therefore, I'm wondering if there's a way to see on my bill what those costs are as we progress through the billing cycle. I know how much the monthly cost is normally and that doesn't seem to be changing but I'm concerned I will suddenly get a bill significantly higher that what I'm seeing when I preview my monthly charges.

Does anyone know where I might be able to see any additional US roaming charges before my bill actually arrives?

reNew US roaming addon

solarfish
I've Been Here Awhile

Things have changed for the worse. I just got hit by this on my latest bill. I was in the US for 5 days, I used WiFi almost all the time and kept data roaming turned off. On three days I turned it on very briefly between WiFi connections, downloading 113Kb, 4Kb and 4Kb so a total of 121Kb. With the new policy in place I got hit with 3 instances of $7.99 because the new policy is to charge automatically for each day you use anything up to 50Mb. So 121Kb in the US cost me $24 whereas in the same month I was in Switzerland, used just over 500Kb and paid less than $6. This new US policy is ridiculous and penalises those who are sensible about data usage and make best use of WiFi.

I just got off the phone with Rogers and their recommendation was for me to unlock the phone and use a US SIM. In other words the only way to restrict data costs in the US is now not to use Rogers.

reNew US roaming addon

For people using more than a few MB.. this new rate is GOOD..
But its people like yourself  who sometimes it doesn't work out for 😞

THey need to break it down.. say a SUB 5mb rate..and a 5-50mb rate at 7.99/day.

This is why the few times i travel to the US.. i pretty much say FORGET IT, and turn off data roaming.. nothing to me is THAT important on my phone.. if i can call/text that is enough.

Hockey821
I Plan to Stick Around

I was looking talk text and data combined for USA and I see these 2 new plans. 1 for $40 includes 50 mins, unlimited text and 200MB of data. Option 2 is $80 and it gives 200 mins, unlimited texts and 500 MB of data.. I say it's getting better with what Rogers is offering. The pay per use needs to be lowered tho.

Hockey821
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone?

Hockey821
I Plan to Stick Around

BUMP...

Bumping for??

Everyone probably agrees that they should be lower.. but posting here really wont change it.

Hockey821
I Plan to Stick Around

No I'm saying it is changed to those plans I said above

DJD
I've Been Here Awhile

Bottom line - if you roam with a Rogers phone, or virtually any other phone plan from Canada, you will pay through the nose!

The same applies to Mexico - but ten times as bad.  If you want to save roaming fees, don't pay them.

Unlock your phone - easy online and for a small fee.

When you get to the States, buy a SIM card and get a local plan for the time you are there.

If you want to call home often, purchase minutes from a local plan.

I have been dinged $1200 - $700 and $600 on trips and I know I am lining someone's pocket.

A recent case of a $20,000 roaming bill in BC (I think) was settled for pennies on the dollar.  Don't just pay like I did, fight it.

Hockey821
I Plan to Stick Around

Actually it's not as bad to roam. To get that kind of bill you must have data roaming ON. people aren't just that educated. Everything incoming is free if you don't answer. I can't see by texting people or calling people will do 20K.. Lol the plans are getting better for $40 you get unlimited texting 200MB and 50 mins for USA. Pretty good. I never use another sim as mine and other peoples # should be important to you.

DJD
I've Been Here Awhile

Seriously?  You think $8/day/50 Mb is good?

If you are a serious user or one using a lot of data transmission-mapping-etc. you could end up with $16/day.

Even at $8 a day you have a bill for one month of approx. $240 and you think that is a deal?

As to never using another SIM as other peoples numbers should be important to me, ya, they are, so I keep them in the cloud so I can access them from any phone I choose to use and from any SIM I choose to insert.

It seems to me that your reply is following along with the Rogers ad line, so you are either a Rogers rep or family member os a Rogers rep or paid to reply by Rogers. Get a SIM and pre-paid plan from your destination.

At least one good deal can be picked up from Roam Mobility for $4/day talk/text and data up to 300 Mb.  At least this is closer to a reasonable deal.  You can check it out at .http://www.roammobility.com/ 

Don't just pay exhorbitant roaming fees, but fight them and look up legislation in Canada limiting the amount that can be charged while roaming.

Hockey821
I Plan to Stick Around

No I'm not paid.. Lol. I'm just saying it's not as bad. You making it sound horrible. If you leave Data roaming Off like most people do you won't have to worry about those charges. As there plenty of wifi around. Just for calls and texts I would get a plan for $40 for unlimited texting and certain amount of mins as at least I keep my #. I don't know where these 20k comes from but you most be steaming or something leaving the data on..

Hockey821
I Plan to Stick Around

I agree with you if your staying long than I would say 2 months then I would suggest to get a local sim. But for a month max 2 It would be ok.

EhmTeeEhf
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Actually its great for long trips too, using stripes if your going to be away for say a month, and you need to use your current data plan and so forth, if you have a share everything plan and you want to use this service its great. It allows you to pay so much per day. And when you hit 50.00 (which is the max you pay) the rest of your data usage is while roaming is free (using your regular data plan and so forth without the roaming charge).

To clarify if you are paying the amount per day while roaming. You pay each day until a maximum of 50.00. Once you pass the 50.00 mark. then from then on you don't pay anymore roaming fees. Your data/sms/voice is billed as if you were using your phone in canada. 

But remember if your calling internationally, ie from canada or the US to say europe, you would incur regular roaming rates, as this does not apply to the US-Canada Stripes Feature.

Thats not quite correct.

The newer thing the CRCT released about roaming.. isnt a MAXIMUM..

Its that if you hit $50 of roaming, it will TURN OFF your access.. until you contact them.. to prevent it going higher without knowing.
You call them, and they will re-allow it to continue past the $50

Actually this is something new that was just released. If you look up stripes on rogers you can see it. What you are talking about is if you go over your normal data monthly cap. I am talking about something different this feature allows you to pay a flat fee per day for roaming. When you use it for 10 consecutive days you get the rest of the month for no additional roaming charges. You just incur regular local data rates.

However if you do exceed your plan cap by 50.00 then you get your data intercept, when can be removed from the account by accepting the intercept and then you would incur additional data charges.

RogersDarrell

Hi everyone!

You can find more info in our Blog Post here: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/blogs/blogarticlepage/blog-id/CommunityBlog/article-id/258

And:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/travel

http://redboard.rogers.com/2014/introducing-roam-like-home-a-brand-new-way-to-roam-in-the-u-s/

If you have a Share Everythng Plan and plan to or have used Roam Like Home, let us know in our Blog above! We'd love to hear from you.

RogersDarrell

View solution in original post

The link that rogersDarrell posted, was the one i was talking about.

$5 flat fee per day... that allows you to use your own data, etc.. while in the US

No where does it say there is a MAX that if you reach anything, you dont pay anymore, etc (other than your normal usage, overages, etc)... least that i can see.

From looking up 'project stripes' this is what appears to be, what they were talking about bringing out.
BUT other than in other sites posting possiblilities of maximums, etc....

I cant see anywhere where there is the 10 days, etc.

Not saying you are wrong.. but if its not posted on the site, etc.... and its NOT that way.. dont want poeple adding it on, then finding out the hard way that they get charges for the more than 10 days.

TigerEROS
I Plan to Stick Around

Just to clarify I am giving an example.

Hypothetically your billing cycle starts on the first of each month (say December 01) ... today is November 11.  You head down to the USA and return on December 15.

The $5/ day is charged as follows:

Nov 11 to 30 ... maximum 10 days @ $5/day = $50

December 1 to 15 ...  maximum 10 days @ $5/day = $50

TOTAL is $100

The $5/day is charged a maximum of 10 days PER BILLING CYCLE!!!  Not for your TRIP!

To minimize your cost ... you can turn on/off your phone (via Airplane mode) on alternate days and ONLY be charged for the days that you use it.

Just re-read the readboard post.. and it says the 10 day thing...

You are right.

That actually IS pretty good then 😄

(other than people, who are on REALLY good grandfathered plans.. and would have to switch to be able to get this)

ODD, that the regular website, says NOTHING about this to.

Maybe Darrell can come back and confirm 🙂

Topic Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 12 in conversation