New US roaming addon

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

New US roaming addon

http://www.connectedrogers.ca/news/travel-in-the-u-s-will-never-be-the-same-with-roam-like-home/

Just saw this today.
While it doesn't 'add' anything, for $5 a day, what it does is then extends whatever your current plan details are, to be in the US as well... Same amount of data, etc.

Not so sure on this. For short trip might be better, especially if you have a larger pool of data to begin with.

Not so sure on smaller data plans. But if you can stay within your normal monthly limit... Still cheaper than 7.99 /50mb

(Addon requires to be on a share everything plan)

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: New US roaming addon

Hi everyone!

You can find more info in our Blog Post here: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/blogs/blogarticlepage/blog-id/CommunityBlog/article-id/258

And:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/travel

http://redboard.rogers.com/2014/introducing-roam-like-home-a-brand-new-way-to-roam-in-the-u-s/

If you have a Share Everythng Plan and plan to or have used Roam Like Home, let us know in our Blog above! We'd love to hear from you.

RogersDarrell

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

reNew US roaming addon

My boyfriend uses his Samsung Galaxy Note II in the States for 4 weeks out of every 6 weeks and whenever possible he turns off the data and runs via WIFI at hot spots, hotels, etc.  However, when he does actually use data roaming I assume he's going to incur an extra cost which I understand.  Therefore, I'm wondering if there's a way to see on my bill what those costs are as we progress through the billing cycle. I know how much the monthly cost is normally and that doesn't seem to be changing but I'm concerned I will suddenly get a bill significantly higher that what I'm seeing when I preview my monthly charges.

Does anyone know where I might be able to see any additional US roaming charges before my bill actually arrives?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

reNew US roaming addon

Things have changed for the worse. I just got hit by this on my latest bill. I was in the US for 5 days, I used WiFi almost all the time and kept data roaming turned off. On three days I turned it on very briefly between WiFi connections, downloading 113Kb, 4Kb and 4Kb so a total of 121Kb. With the new policy in place I got hit with 3 instances of $7.99 because the new policy is to charge automatically for each day you use anything up to 50Mb. So 121Kb in the US cost me $24 whereas in the same month I was in Switzerland, used just over 500Kb and paid less than $6. This new US policy is ridiculous and penalises those who are sensible about data usage and make best use of WiFi.

I just got off the phone with Rogers and their recommendation was for me to unlock the phone and use a US SIM. In other words the only way to restrict data costs in the US is now not to use Rogers.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

reNew US roaming addon

For people using more than a few MB.. this new rate is GOOD..
But its people like yourself  who sometimes it doesn't work out for 😞

THey need to break it down.. say a SUB 5mb rate..and a 5-50mb rate at 7.99/day.

This is why the few times i travel to the US.. i pretty much say FORGET IT, and turn off data roaming.. nothing to me is THAT important on my phone.. if i can call/text that is enough.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I was looking talk text and data combined for USA and I see these 2 new plans. 1 for $40 includes 50 mins, unlimited text and 200MB of data. Option 2 is $80 and it gives 200 mins, unlimited texts and 500 MB of data.. I say it's getting better with what Rogers is offering. The pay per use needs to be lowered tho.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

BUMP...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Bumping for??

Everyone probably agrees that they should be lower.. but posting here really wont change it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

No I'm saying it is changed to those plans I said above

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Bottom line - if you roam with a Rogers phone, or virtually any other phone plan from Canada, you will pay through the nose!

The same applies to Mexico - but ten times as bad.  If you want to save roaming fees, don't pay them.

Unlock your phone - easy online and for a small fee.

When you get to the States, buy a SIM card and get a local plan for the time you are there.

If you want to call home often, purchase minutes from a local plan.

I have been dinged $1200 - $700 and $600 on trips and I know I am lining someone's pocket.

A recent case of a $20,000 roaming bill in BC (I think) was settled for pennies on the dollar.  Don't just pay like I did, fight it.