New SIM card on old rate plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandra7
I've Been Here Awhile

New SIM card on old rate plan

I have a talk and text My10 rate plan with Rogers.  My current phone uses a regular SIM card, but the screen is cracked.  I want to replace the phone but it seems like most phones use a micro SIM card now. Can I activate a new micro SIM card with an unlocked phone and still keep my existing (old and no longer offered) rate plan?  I've heard rumours that some people have been unable to activate new SIM card on an old plan.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New SIM card on old rate plan

@sandra7 wrote:

I have a talk and text My10 rate plan with Rogers.  My current phone uses a regular SIM card, but the screen is cracked.  I want to replace the phone but it seems like most phones use a micro SIM card now. Can I activate a new micro SIM card with an unlocked phone and still keep my existing (old and no longer offered) rate plan?  I've heard rumours that some people have been unable to activate new SIM card on an old plan.

***Edited Labels***

I have always wondered why people feel they will loose their telephone plan or telephone number if they do a sim swap? This has never been the case for Rogers.  You are NEVER forced to change your rate plan or telephone number by simply doing a sim swap.   I've also heard people complaining if they loose their pay as u go balance when they swap a sim card, that is also not true for rogers.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That i am aware of, yes you should be able to swtich it over.

There may be a small fee for the card/them switching it for you.

RogersShakir
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @sandra7,

A standard SIM card should not give you any issues. Maybe the Community Forums members can chime in with their experiences.

I would suggest having a valid unused SIM card and adding it to the line in question. We have a new step-by-step how to video for Activating a SIM card on myRogers.

If you have run into any concerns, have your SIM card handy and you can private message @CommunityHelps.

To learn more about how to send a private message (PM) you can check out this informative How-to.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

RogersShakir

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I don't believe that service is available on line for PayGo accounts. You have to go to a Rogers store.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sandra7 wrote:

***Edited Labels***

I have always wondered why people feel they will loose their telephone plan or telephone number if they do a sim swap? This has never been the case for Rogers.  You are NEVER forced to change your rate plan or telephone number by simply doing a sim swap.   I've also heard people complaining if they loose their pay as u go balance when they swap a sim card, that is also not true for rogers.  

View solution in original post

sandra7
I've Been Here Awhile

Well, it seemed strange to me that you would be forced to change your plan just by switching SIM cards. But it was a Rogers employee that warned me of that possibility... So I just thought I'd throw the question out there to the Rogers community to get other people's experiences. Thanks for your answer.
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only time that you would have to change you plan is if:

you want specfic features, which could not be added, etc to your older grandfathered plans.. and have to go to a newer one to get them.

you wanted to get a device subsidy on a new phone, there are min plan requirements, often having to be on one of the in market plans.

tvn
I've Been Here Awhile

The solution provided for the question is incorrect. Rogers will mark on old plan and will not allow the customer to change sim card unless the customer change to newer plan. They actually have a code for this. This is quite unfair from the consumer viewpoint but the question is can the code be overridden by CSR?
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @tvn

Thats inccorect. I was able to change a sim card for my grandmothers plan that she has from 2009 last week with no issue... She got a new phone so she needed a micro sim. Went to the Rogers Plus store and was able to change it without a issue.
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Truthfully.. if you were told that, i beleive you were lied to.

Unless something has changed very recently.. there is NOTHING tying the plan and the sim card together.

The sim card, really doesnt care what your plan is.  The sim card registers itself to the network, and then that goes and checks to see if its an ACTIVE sim card on that network.  If it is, then does X, Y, Z.  Pricing, whats free/not free, doesnt make a difference on the sim, thats more all in billing on the back end, etc.

Where were you told that?

Litterally, you should be able to go into any Rogers store, and just have them swap the account from sim A to B, worse case there may be a $10 fee for the new SIM.