New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

I think many of us are waiting (likely to no avail) for a good stand alone D3 modem from Rogers. It seems to me that one of the reasons the gateways are now dominating though is precisely what you have stated - Rogers has total control and will only allow acess to what they want to support. As for their advertising, I ceased beleiving anything they tell us when their claims about the previous gateways turned out to be completely false. The positives about the new gateway, judging by early reviews, is that the range seems to be better and it does not suffer from dropped connections. It will be interesting to hear from anyone using the CGN-3 though as to whether they are bridging it and once again using their own router!

I Plan to Stick Around

For those who have this can you confirm it can be set up in bridge mode?   I have the older hitron and was at my inlaws over the weekend and they have this model. I have ultimate and they have extreme plus and the speeds were very close which they should not be so i assume it must be the new hitron as it wasnt that fast last weekend with their old gateway.I am running in bridge mode with an asus rtn66u which greatly extended my wifi range and dont want to give it up!

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I have Hitron CGN3 and actually tested the bridged mode last week. The results were surprising and dissappointing. I got much slower speeds and terrible lag when CGN3 was in bridged moide. I tried it with two brand new routers - ASUS RT-N66U and Cisco E4200V2.

On the positive side, CGN3 seems to have stronger and more stable wireless than both of the above mentioned routers. Turned the CGN3 back into gateway mode.

CGN3 has excellent router and wireless components. Some of the drawbacks are the disabled USB ports and, possible messed up port forwarding feature. I am still testing port forwarding.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wonder how well it will preform, with another wireless router, just as an AP? (not bridged mode.. still doing routing, etc)..if it would still have the choke.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the feedback on bridged mode, much appreciated. To set it up in bridge mode did you go to basic functions/gateway function and just disable it?   

@jlannen wrote:

Thanks for the feedback on bridged mode, much appreciated. To set it up in bridge mode did you go to basic functions/gateway function and just disable it?   

Yes, it is that simple. To switch back to gateway mode - hold reset button for 11 seconds.

I Plan to Stick Around

The wireless function of the CGN3 is awesome. Putting it in bridge wasn't viable for me because it didn't want to connect to my router, but then again, the CGN3's wifi is probably better anyways. One thing I noticed though was that UPnP doesn't work correctly, and it booted me from almost every single battlefield 3 match I joined (on PS3). 

Rogers is of course also making changes on their backend, and I'm not too sure why but my upstream signal is low. Also I've seen many people say that their upstream modulation is 64QAM or the like, but why is mine ATDMA?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101081916@N03/9636464015/

16 bonded downstream channels, thats crazy. 

I'm Here A Lot

Wi-fi on this modem is really really good. I get a strong signal everywhere in my house. It did not fix my issues with my internet dropping though :(.

I Plan to Stick Around

my results were the same as Tedd13...running ir bridged with my asus RTN66u results in slight slower speeds than when I was using my CGN3?

very odd indeed, I still have the CGN2 so I may continue using it and take the new hitron back..going newer and slower is frustrating.

<script id="overlay_tmpl" type="text/html">// <div id="<%= overlayId %>" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= overlayLeft %>; top: <%= overlayTop %>; width: <%= overlayWidth %>; height: <%= overlayHeight %>"></div> // </script>

This is really odd, indeed. I successfully ran Cisco DPC 3825 in bridged mode without a problem, so if you really intend to use your own router, seems like CGN3 is not an option. Your best bet is either CGN2 or DPC3825.

If only Rogers can give us an option to have Hitron CDA-32372 modem (this is just a dream)