New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

@agent86 wrote:

I hope they do get somthing better then the CGN3 soon as my 4th one gave up so with lots of trouble I switched to the cisco and bridged it and all is fine now.  Tech support for rogers was sent an email for anyone having problems up to the fibre 60 package can use the cisco now.  Guess we wait and see if they swicth to somthing else.  You think the CGN3 is hardware or firmware when it comes to the problems?

I wonder if the CGN3 is really your problem...

My bridged CGN3 had a rough first couple of days (perhaps because it had the old firmware?) but has been fine since then. No different from the Cisco.

I don't know what your 'lots of trouble' has been, but I wonder if perhaps there could be a signal problem (or filters, etc) on some of the extra channels that is making CGN3s at your place very sad? I find it difficult to believe that you'd have 4 bad units in a row...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would agree with VivienM.  Two CGN3s in a row, I can believe, three or four, no way.  I would have started looking at the signal levels and Signal to Noise ratios, cabling, power supply issues, or others.  There was a case here recently where the CGN3 was switched out two or three times but the power supply wasn't.  The power supply was finally switched, and hopefully the issue is resolved.  Haven't heard back yet.  There has to be some reasonable technical explanation for the troubles.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Of course, now that I posted that the CGN3 works fine, something strange just happened to mine.

It lost its connection, didn't reconnect for a few minutes, and now that it's back, I only have one blue light, which I think means it's running on a single upstream channel...

I've Been Here Awhile

I've had nothing but trouble with my internet connection, have called Rogers half a dozens times in the past year... to no avail... I've replaced the modem, the problem appears even worse. 

The new modem doesnt even connect to computers on my second floor any more... I can no longer use my wireless printer or any wif devices it seems. 

Why would I want to pay a higher renatls after being ripped off for over a year? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hmm.  I suspect that you're just making a statement at this point.  The issue with connecting to Wifi printers does seem to be an issue with the CGN3, but I believe that users here in the forum have had success with it.  If your looking for help for connection issues there are people here who can help.  If you are looking for help to improve your internet connections, consider having a go at the following instructions that I use in order to have a look at both sides of the modem:

Can you go to the following page and have a look at the DOCSIS WAN Downstream / Upstream data tables from my CGN3.  I'd like you to log into your modem and copy the same DOCSIS WAN tables and paste them into this thread.  Don't copy the IP address and other data above the Downstream table, just the tables themselves.  With that we can have a look at the signal power and signal to noise ratios. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

Next is to check out the wireless environment around your home.  Here is a link to inSSIDER, which is a wireless network monitoring application for wireless laptops and pc's.  Can you load that on a laptop, or pc and have a look at where your wireless network sits within the crowd, and have a look at the listing that shows the various networks around you and check to see where your network sits.  Ideally its at the top of the list.  If not, you would have problems with your network being overpowered by your neighbours. 

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

With enough info about the modem to neighborhood node, and modem to wireless device connections, other forum members and myself can probably make some meaningful recommendations.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am trying to connect to the CGN3 but am not sure how Rogers set it up.  I can connect to it via my iphone but my computer cannot connect.  

I am currently using a Engenius ECB350 in Client Bridge on my computer to connect to a LTE Rocket Hotspot (Sierra 763S).  This has been working for the past 2 years.  When I switch to ECB350 to connect to the CGN3 it cannot login.

Is the way I am trying to access the CGN3 not possible?  Is there something I am missing?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When you scan for the wireless network with the Engenius ECB350 do you see the wireless network from the CGN3 running?  If so, and you have set the parameters on the Engenius ECB350 to connect to the CGN3, do you actually have internet connectivity?  If so, what are you using for a login address for the CGN3?  Looking at the user manual for the Engenius ECB350, page 19, it looks like the Engenius ECB350 has its own address, which allows you to log into it.  That should be different from the CGN3 login address, which norrmally uses 192.168.0.1 for its address unless you have changed it.  I don't know what the LTE Rocket Hotspot uses for its login address, but possibly it is different from what the CGN3 uses?

Engenius ECB350 User Manual:

http://www.engeniustech.com/resources/ECB350-UM-20120222.pdf

I Plan to Stick Around

OK.  I think I see the problem.  Rogers had set up the CGN3 so I don't know what IP was used but since my ECB350 happens to be using 192.168.0.1 then there could be a conflict.  I changed the ECB350 IP a couple of years ago so that it wouldn't conflict with my LTE Rocket Hotspot (LOL).  I'll change the IP on the ECB350 tonight and see what happens.

I Plan to Stick Around

Changing IP address on modem fixed the problem for me.

I've Been Around

Hello,

Is there a way for me to turn-off the wifi of this modem? I already disabled the wifi through the wireless tab but I still kept seeing it whenever I  check the wifi list through my phone.