cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

edj_01
I Plan to Stick Around

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/modems

It appears to be another Hitron gateway.

Has anyone switched to this new gateway?
It also has a higher monthly rental cost.

***edited labels***

147 REPLIES 147

Re: New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

Mayoo
I Plan to Stick Around

I thought i would never see this day where WAN to LAN speed are going to match the test benchmark speeds 🙂

In my E3200 Running Shibby 1.28 my WAN to LAN throughput is maxing out at 140Mbps (Going direct is 170Mbps). Now as per Smallnetbuilder, this router can do aroun 500Mbps WAN to LAN throughput.

I am on 150/10 Fibre150 Plan

Suggestion is to go back to stock firmware or install Viktek.

I am seriously looking into RT68U as well..

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

The Asus RT-AC68U is awesome... Expensive, but absolutely worth it.

(I have one that I run solely as a wireless access point, and my parents have one that's actually being used as a router. Best piece of consumer-grade network grade networking equipment I've ever touched. Rock solid, and the range and 5GHz signal strength are amazing.)

I am running a old cisco e2500 which the range is 😞  Just as an AP.

With limited funding.. (a son going into scoccer, baseball, etc this summer)

I am looking at an ASUS RT-N66U.  Yeah, i know, no AC, but even the N66u is mostly out of my price range, let alone the AC68U.

From what i have heard the range is pretty great on it too, likely similar to the AC68U.. and still way better than the CNG3 🙂

Why not keep the E2500 running for a few more months?

I can't help but think that investing in an expensive 802.11n router/access point at this point is a bad long-term idea. (Then again, cheap Windows laptops may stick to single-band, single-stream 802.11n forever...)

802.11ac is awesome though. Got 198 megabits/sec speedtest on my laptop (upgraded to an Intel 7260) using the Rogers 'Hybrid Fibre 150' 🙂

Thats just it.

I am only on the 30/5 package.  So its well above what i need for that.

Currently the only dual band devices i do have, are my wifes and my phones and wifes tablet.  Both our laptops are N only, same with other wireless devices (smart TV, etc).

MOST of the file transfer i do, is across WIRED connections anyways (which is all gigabit through switches.. no wired from my e2500 its only there as an AP).
My media server.. i have no issues streaming 1080p clear and fine across it with no lag, hickups, etc at the current N speed..

Really, just looking for RANGE, as there are pockets upstairs, which are not quite great at the fringes of the house (and this is with the AP on the main floor).  CGN3 is in the basement.. wired ports serving all my wired stuff down there... NO WAY its wireless would be ok for upstairs.

carly1
I've Been Around

Just wondering if anybody has conectivty troubles with this new modem, I haven't seen much difference in the range at all, still cant get a good conection in places in my home, really nothing has changed!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Compared to a GOOD 3rd party router with external antennas, no the wireless is not much better on the CGN3.

Only major advantage is that you have the 5ghz anntenas as well, if you have devices that support it, so you can get a less congested channel if in an area with alot of 2.4 traffic.

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hello, Carly1,

Just curious what kind of wireless adapter are you using with CGN? I, personally noticed a huge quality improvement in both range and signal strength of CGN3. But first thing I did after obtaining CGN3 is I upgraded wireless adapters in both my laptops to Intel 6300 and never had any problems with wireless reception.

If you are using a laptop with a stock, single band wireless adapter - you are not even close to the potential of the wireless abilities of CGN3.

I'm sure this is covered somewhere in this thread but I couldn't find it.  I'm finally taking pludge and leaving my old Motorola Surfboard for the new Advanced Wi-Fi modem.  I also have the top end Asus router which I want to keep using.  Is there somewhere the details how to connect the Advanced Wi-Fi modem and disable the router?  I am running Windows 7.

To run the CGN3 in Bridge mode, after logging into the CGN3 select BASIC…..Gateway Function.  Disable the Residential Gateway Function and save the changes.  It should reboot automatically I believe, in Bridge mode, which will look and act as modem.  Connect your Asus router, which will be responsible for all Firewall functions.  Behind your Asus router will be your wired and wireless connections.  If you need to return to the Gateway mode for any reason, press the reset button at the back of the CGN3 for more than 10 seconds.  The CGN3 will reboot back into Gateway mode. 

Note that the latest firmware version for the CGN3 is 4.2.4.3  If you have a new CGN3, it may or may not be at that version.  If not, it will take about 3 to 4 days usually to upload and install that version.  My usual advice at that point is to run a Factory Reset and then reset all of your own parameters.

Note:  check your Asus router and ensure that it has 10/100/1000 Mb/s WAN and LAN ports.  If it does, you will see normal data rates between the CGN3 and the Asus router.  If the WAN port is only 10/100 Mb/s, once connected to the CGN3, you will see data rates somewhere in the vicinity of 30 to 40 Mb/s.  This is due to bug in the CGN3 firmware which throttles down any connection that runs with at 10/100 Mb/s.

Okay, I've continued to dig and have found this link.

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/Internet/home-networking/247

Is this all I need to do.  This seems really simple.  For some reason I thought there were a lot of settings that needed to be changed in order to get this to work.

Once this is done I would connect the new modem to my WAN port on my router, same as my current modem, correct?

When you say reset all of your own parameters, is there really any setup to be done on the modem if you are not using the router functions? I did a fair amount of setup on my router, but I figured for the modem acting as a bridge there wouldn't really be any setup involved, other than disabling the router capabilities.

You are correct.  Once the CGN3 is set to bridge mode thats it.  It will act as a modem only.  There are no other settings to be made.  But, if you wanted to check the firmware version in 3 to 4 days, you would have to Factory Reset the CGN3 to return to Gateway mode, where you can actually log into the CGN3, check the version and then disable the Gateway function once again.  So that disabling would be the only setting you would have to do, ie, your own parameter....

Perfect, thanks a lot for the help. BTW, with the latest firmware, what is the CGN3 like? I've resisted moving to a DOCSIS 3 modem for a while because I've always read such bad reviews on the modems and above all else I really needs something that is reliable. I cover 24 hour support for work some weeks and really need reliable internet setup.

Once you get the unit... you will want to log into ITS web interface.

(connect a PC directly to it)

login with the defaults of
L: cusadmin

P: password

Once inside, go into the BASIC section, then Gateway function

Disable the Residential Gateway Function.

This will cause the unit to reboot.  From there, it acts just like a regular modem, and you would set the router up as you would based on its instructions.

I run my CGN3 in Gateway mode, using the 5 Ghz wireless and run another router for 2.4 Ghz wireless at the other end of the house.  I don't have any problems running the 250 Mb/s plan, either off the CGN3 or throughout the house.  I think the vast majority of users who run the CGN3 in Bridge mode are much happier with their own router.  There have been complaints where users need the functionality of a third party router to accomplish a specific connection type or forwarding.  The CGN3 doesn't seem to do the job, but the combination of Bridge mode with a third party router seems to work fine.

Fwiw.  If you run a higher data rate, ie 150 or 250 Mb/s for example, any connection issue within your own network will show up.  For example, house connections wired for only 10/100 instead of gigabit rates, or issues with connectors themselves.  These tended not to show up with lower data rates, but they do show up now.

Well, after all of that I just went to the Rogers store at lunch and picked up my new modem.  I arranged everything over phone this morning and wanted to be prepared when I got home tonight.

As it ends up I have the DPC3825 Cisco modem.  I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.  So far I have just read that you may be able to set to bridge mode on the device itself, or depending on firmware version you may have to call Rogers and have them do it on their end.

My real question is should I bother with this modem or go back and ensure I get the Advanced Wi-Fi modem?  It is $4 a month and the hassle of going back.  If I am only using the modem and not the router does it really matter?

It all depends on whether or not you would ever want to run higher data rates.  The 3825 can handle higher data rates, but Rogers will not allow that as it only uses a small subset of the available data channels on the network.  If everyone did that, those particualar data channels would be very congested.  To run the 150 or 250 or higher plans, you would need the CGN3, which uses 20 channels out, and 3 or 4 down out of a universe of about 120 channels. 

The 3825 is a reliable modem, but once again, it you want good wireless performance, you would need a good third party wireless router.

@Datalink wrote:

To run the 150 or 250 or higher plans, you would need the CGN3, which uses 20 channels out, and 3 or 4 down out of a universe of about 120 channels. 

Note that out of those 120 channels, most are used for TV, not DOCSIS...

(That being said, the number of DOCSIS channels is growing. Now there's 20ish DOCSIS 3, plus a few DOCSIS 2, whereas 7-10 years ago it would have been one DOCSIS 2 channel and that's it...)

@CableGuy wrote:

As it ends up I have the DPC3825 Cisco modem.  I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.  So far I have just read that you may be able to set to bridge mode on the device itself, or depending on firmware version you may have to call Rogers and have them do it on their end.

My real question is should I bother with this modem or go back and ensure I get the Advanced Wi-Fi modem?  It is $4 a month and the hassle of going back.  If I am only using the modem and not the router does it really matter?

The DPC3825 is easy to put into bridge mode, and unlike the CGN3, you can continue to access its status web pages (at http://192.168.100.1 IIRC) even once it's bridged.

I had a DPC3825 for years (bridged), my parents have a CGN2 (bridged, I thought the router functionality would be good enough for their basic needs, but it turned out not to be), and now I have a CGN3, so I'd like to think that I can comment on the bridged performance of all three. And really, there isn't much difference (with the firmware upgrade for the CGN3). The DPC3825 was rock solid, no different from my Motorola SB5100 before it...

As Datalink already pointed out, the big difference between the CGN3 and the DPC3825 as modems is that the CGN3 can bond 24 channels versus 8 channels on the DPC3825. This is a behind-the-scenes thing that doesn't really affect you except in so far that Rogers requires the CGN3 for the current 'Hybrid Fiber' 60 megabit plan and above. I am assuming that you are on the 30 megabit plan now - if you don't intend to move up, then you might as well save the $4 and keep the DPC3825. If you want the 60 megabit plan or faster, then you'll need the CGN3.

(Note that you CANNOT keep your existing D2 Express/Extreme/Extreme Plus/etc plan when switching to D3 hardware. Welll... you can... but then you'll continue to get your old speeds/caps for the old price, which is very bad value for your money.)

If you were talking about buying the modem, I'd say buy the CGN3, simply because it has more longevity potential than the 8-channel modems which are now being reoriented solely towards the low-end plans...

And if you are considering buyng one, keep an eye open for any sales at Best Buy or Future Shop.  They do go on sale for $150, which shortens the break even point in time.

Topic Stats