New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

How do you compare this Advanced Wi-Fi Modem to a D-Link DIR 815 model.. I am on the SMC modem right now with WIFI not on..

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That the DIR815 is a dual band, with external antennas.. i would LIKELY think that is slightly better than the built in on the CGN3

Unless need to (say to get the NEW plans) and you are good on your exisiting plan, no need to change from the SMC, as its fairly rock solid that way (i used to have that one), and just use the other wireless.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The DIR-815 only has Fast Ethernet wired ports, so... that could be a bottleneck with one of the newer plans.

Also, the CGN3 can do 450 megabits 5GHz 802.11n, if you have devices that support 3 streams (business laptops with Intel 5300/6300, MacBook Pros, not sure if there's anything else).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, that is true..

most people ask about the wireless.. so didnt even think to look up the wired port ratings

(thats the failing with my current E2500 cisco, as an AP/switch, right now.. hoping to replace with an AC router soon)

I Plan to Stick Around

I thought i would never see this day where WAN to LAN speed are going to match the test benchmark speeds Smiley Happy

In my E3200 Running Shibby 1.28 my WAN to LAN throughput is maxing out at 140Mbps (Going direct is 170Mbps). Now as per Smallnetbuilder, this router can do aroun 500Mbps WAN to LAN throughput.

I am on 150/10 Fibre150 Plan

Suggestion is to go back to stock firmware or install Viktek.

I am seriously looking into RT68U as well..

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Asus RT-AC68U is awesome... Expensive, but absolutely worth it.

(I have one that I run solely as a wireless access point, and my parents have one that's actually being used as a router. Best piece of consumer-grade network grade networking equipment I've ever touched. Rock solid, and the range and 5GHz signal strength are amazing.)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am running a old cisco e2500 which the range is Smiley Sad  Just as an AP.

With limited funding.. (a son going into scoccer, baseball, etc this summer)

I am looking at an ASUS RT-N66U.  Yeah, i know, no AC, but even the N66u is mostly out of my price range, let alone the AC68U.

From what i have heard the range is pretty great on it too, likely similar to the AC68U.. and still way better than the CNG3 Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Why not keep the E2500 running for a few more months?

I can't help but think that investing in an expensive 802.11n router/access point at this point is a bad long-term idea. (Then again, cheap Windows laptops may stick to single-band, single-stream 802.11n forever...)

802.11ac is awesome though. Got 198 megabits/sec speedtest on my laptop (upgraded to an Intel 7260) using the Rogers 'Hybrid Fibre 150' Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats just it.

I am only on the 30/5 package.  So its well above what i need for that.

Currently the only dual band devices i do have, are my wifes and my phones and wifes tablet.  Both our laptops are N only, same with other wireless devices (smart TV, etc).

MOST of the file transfer i do, is across WIRED connections anyways (which is all gigabit through switches.. no wired from my e2500 its only there as an AP).
My media server.. i have no issues streaming 1080p clear and fine across it with no lag, hickups, etc at the current N speed..

Really, just looking for RANGE, as there are pockets upstairs, which are not quite great at the fringes of the house (and this is with the AP on the main floor).  CGN3 is in the basement.. wired ports serving all my wired stuff down there... NO WAY its wireless would be ok for upstairs.

I've Been Around

Just wondering if anybody has conectivty troubles with this new modem, I haven't seen much difference in the range at all, still cant get a good conection in places in my home, really nothing has changed!