cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

edj_01
I Plan to Stick Around

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/modems

It appears to be another Hitron gateway.

Has anyone switched to this new gateway?
It also has a higher monthly rental cost.

***edited labels***

147 REPLIES 147

Re: New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

presspey
I've Been Here Awhile
Thanks everyone. I got the bridging to work. Everything seems to be connecting wirelessly nicely now and wifi reception is noticeably better. It's only been an hour so I'm holding my breadth.

The one thing that isn't working is a simply direct Ethernet connection to my PS3. Anybody have advice on how to connect my PS3 via Ethernet to the CGN3? I tried using the PS3 to set to wired connection but it won't recognize any connection. The Ethernet cable doesn't light up when I plug it into the CGN3 Hitron.

The Ethernet connection from the Hitron CGN3 to my Denon works fine and I can get Internet radio.

thoughts on hard wiring the PS3?

Thanks in advance.

LYuan
I Plan to Stick Around

Keep in mind that once you put the router into bridge mode, you can only connect 1 device to it, as you will get a public IP address. What you should be doing is plugging in a router, and then plugging the PS3 into the router. if you plug a 2nd device into the bridge, it will not work.

Pottertons
I Plan to Stick Around

I just picked one up yesterday. Much better in terms of range. Mine is set up in my basement and with the cisco router, it would maybe get 2 bars via wi fi when up two levels in my bedroom. With the Hitron i consistently get full bars. 

Anyone happen to know why there's a 2.4g and a 5g option? Is the 5g active? 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
It is a dual band router. It can broadcast on both, both are active.

Not all END devices can connect to the 5 tho, depends on the device.
That range has potentially a better signal, but doesn't quite go as far as the 2.4.
You are less likely to have other interference on the 5 as well.

saltles
I Plan to Stick Around
Noob:( I have the smc combo modem...unlimited Internet at 25 mbs. I have not bad range in my house...only a few dead spots...I dont need to port forward., and my printer has wifi built in...so my question....should I get new cgn3? Or should I keep current smc, and purchase a new router to fix range issues? If that is possible with smc model.? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. By the sound of it I might be better to bridge my smc with a new router.if that is the case instructions and suggestions on routers would also be greatly appreciated. ...

thanks in advance

You dont need a faster modem per say unless you are going on one of the much higher plans.. so no reason to switch for that.

You CAN bridge with the SMC.. so yes, you would likely be best to just get a better 3rd party router.

There are a ton of choices.. some of the ASUS ones get REAL great reviews.. but they are also a little more on the pricey end.

Dont know if you would have a budget.

saltles
I Plan to Stick Around
No budget for something that is reliable

saltles
I Plan to Stick Around
I have been reading a few of the other threads. Seems to be allot of input. Asus is mentioned many times so I will do some research and go forward in that direction....if anyone has any do's and don't s...please feel free to let me know.

Really in the end.. just dont cheap out too much.

A $50 router is.. well.. a $50 router.. and usually wont go as far as a more expensive one, etc..

A router with external antennas, will usually have better range than one with internals.

Dual band is definately worth looking for, as if your device can use it, its better to, as less likely chance of interfearance.

Getting an AC router.. will do N stuff just fine.. it more future-proofs yourself for new devices with it, getting the best speed.. but it it comes down to $$, not absolutely necessary.

saltles
I Plan to Stick Around
I thank you for the advice...I do own this ...D-Link Wireless N+300 Mbps Extreme-N Gigabit Router (DIR-655)already.......... although I haven't used it in a couple of years. I had an issue back then with an extreme overuse ....rogers did not charge me as there was evidence that I had probably been hacked. ..I took the router out of the mix just in case it was the cause or the window in, and haven't used it since. ..what is your opinion on me resetting that and giving it a try?

while not insanely new.. (i think N can max out at 600 now if i remember correct?) it still may at least give better range.. and with your package the speed shouldnt be an issue, etc.

I would do a factory reset on the dlink.. make sure everythings re-set on it.. and re-set up everything, security, etc.

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

One of the issues with latest models of Asus routers is that they get pretty warm during normal operation and might even require active cooling (like laptop cooling pad).

TeDD13

DIR-655 is an excellent router, I used it for three years, however it is a bit dated now and does not support 5Gz band.

saltles
I Plan to Stick Around
You are both very helpful. ... if you were to get a new router for this. .. with a price point of less then 160.00.. what would you get?

TeDD13

I would look at Netgear 6200, 6250 or 6300. New models cost a bit more than your $160 price point, but you can get a refurbished models on Newegg.ca. 6200 refurbished is $93 and 6300 refurbished is $125. 6300 also support DD-WRT which is a plus. Wireless range is outstanding, no heating issues.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I know a few with the R66U asus.. and not notice any heat issues.. may varry from model to model.

My boss has the pretty much top end netgear one (like $230), and really likes it, other than there is some bugs with the media server part of it.

I am not quite ready to jump on the AC bandwagon yet.. nor do i have the money 😛
I am looking at the Asus R66U right now, with the external antennas.. just so i can get a bit more control over the range/direction to get a few bad spots in the house..

TeDD13
I had a chance to use R66U for two weeks. Heat issue was quite evident. The router was uncomfortably warm and I had to actively cool it. And I also find 5ghz radio signal is not that good comparable to 2.4 band. In my opinion both Netgear R6300 and even Hitron CGN3 have better 5Ghz radios.

sjb2003
I've Been Here Awhile

How do you compare this Advanced Wi-Fi Modem to a D-Link DIR 815 model.. I am on the SMC modem right now with WIFI not on..

That the DIR815 is a dual band, with external antennas.. i would LIKELY think that is slightly better than the built in on the CGN3

Unless need to (say to get the NEW plans) and you are good on your exisiting plan, no need to change from the SMC, as its fairly rock solid that way (i used to have that one), and just use the other wireless.

The DIR-815 only has Fast Ethernet wired ports, so... that could be a bottleneck with one of the newer plans.

Also, the CGN3 can do 450 megabits 5GHz 802.11n, if you have devices that support 3 streams (business laptops with Intel 5300/6300, MacBook Pros, not sure if there's anything else).

Yes, that is true..

most people ask about the wireless.. so didnt even think to look up the wired port ratings

(thats the failing with my current E2500 cisco, as an AP/switch, right now.. hoping to replace with an AC router soon)

Topic Stats