New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

Heres the user manual

http://rogershelp.ca/cgn3

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Woot, thanks!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been trying to get the latest SW update for the CGN3 which I think is 4.2.4.1.  I had this on my first modem but when I had to return it for a replacement, I have not been able to get it.  Originally it was "pushed" within a week of getting it.  I have now had the replacement for a month and still no push.  I spoke to Rogers tech support and they said that could not do this as it comes from Hitron.  Who do you need to talk to in order to get this latest version out so I can use the USB ports once again?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have been suffering with this CGN3 modem now for weeks! I had the older SMCD3GN for the longest time running in bridged mode with my Asus RT-N66U router but I finally couldn't take the 2Mbps upstream and was told that I must upgrade my hardware. I purchased this new modem at my local store and specifically told the guy there to ensure that he updated my account with the "New" ultimate package (150Mbps/10Mbps) instead of my old grandfathered package (100Mbps/2Mbps) which is no longer available. He ensured me that I just needed to take home and plug in the new modem is active. 

So I did this. Yes the internet was working but I was getting the same speeds as before. Frustrated at having to call Rogers, I did call and was able to get this straightened out in less than a half hour amazingly. 

The speed is incredible! Consistently getting higher speeds than advertised. However the WiFi is terrible. Yes, it has equal signal strength as my Asus Router on both th 2.4GHz and 5Ghz bands but some of my devices are constantly being dropped and some won't connect at all. My iPad, super phones, and laptops seem to have no issues, both my Nest thermostats will connect but within an hour lose connection, my MacBook always connects but sometimes in the middle of streaming from server or moving files, I will get disconnected. My Roku 3's all can connect but while watching something streaming from my Home Server, it will slow down and eventually fail. My WD TV Live boxes just plain won't connect at all. I didn't have ANY of these issues with my old setup! The ONLY thing I changed in my home network was this modem! Thanks Rogers!

So I'm going to try some experiments myself with setting it up in bridge mode and comparing the average speeds of 3 tests.

I'll post back here with the results.

Using CGN3 alone

Rogers Speed Test average from 3 tests

Down - 220.50Mbps

Up - 10.63Mbps

SpeedTest.net average from 3 tests connected to Toronto TekSavvy

Down - 207.23Mbps

Up - 11.08Mbps

I'm switching to bridge mode, I'll update this post or add another when I'm configured.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

So, it didn't take long to switch the CGN3 to Bridge mode and I got some interesting results...

Interesting that Rogers has handed out unique IP's for each computer that I connect to the LAN ports on the modem. I have a simple unmanged 16 port switch that doesn't have routing capability and I wasn't expecting to be able to connect multiple devices into the modem and get multiple IP's. I just forgot to unplug all the physical devices after switching to bridge mode. Something I didn't think Rogers would do and I hope are not going to charge extra for LOL.

This also answers my question as to which port I should plug my Asus Router into.. Answer? ANY. Below is results. Weird how rogers speed test is now significantly slower than SpeedTest.net??

Down - 185.06Mbps

Up - 10.76Mbps

Down - 206.58Mbps

Up - 11.13Mbps

Now going to connect Asus Router and do another set of tests. I'll post a new reply so it will ping followers who are subscribed.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Really SHOULDNT matter which port.. the 4 ports on there are SUPOSED to act as a switch, so SHOULD be any port... but they 'recomend' port 1.. weither it makes a difference or not, i am not sure.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Ok that wasn't at all as smooth as I hoped. I noticed that there was a new firmward for my Asus Router but wasn't aware it was going to reset all settings back to default! UGHH!

So after downloading and installing new router firmware to the Asus and setting it back up, the first thing I did was do more speed tests. I'm a happy camper! All WD TV Live units are up and running, all other devices are happy now as well. Speed is as good as before bridging!

Down - 213.46Mbps

Up - 10.82Mbps

Down - 206.58Mbps

Up - 11.13Mbps

@Gdkitty - Modem is NOT labelled on the back for ports 1 through 4. I'm a guy so looking it up in manual is out of the question but based on previous tests, it doesn't matter and Rogers will assign a new IP to anything plugged into any port. Currently only have one thing plugged into the modem and that is my Asus Router.  

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont have that one.. so wasnt aware of them not being labeled..  which is odd in itself 😛

I have dealt with 2 other rogers models with it, and they have recomended port 1... but as you have found out, shouldnt make a difference.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

It seems a bit silly though to be paying $ 12 / month or $ 250 to purchase for a router you end up putting into Bridge Mode doesn't it?

I would have thought that for Ultimate the CGN2 would achieve the same job if you're not going to use the wireless from it and save a few $.

An alternative is to use the CGN3 as a full router but turn off wireless on it and use your own ASUS as a wireless access point only and re-locate it to a location that maximizes your wireless coverage.    That's what I do at my place.   I only use extreme service and have been able to go down to the CISCO DPC3825 (previously SMC D3GN) and turn off wireless mode and use my ASUS RT-N56U router as an access point.   on the 5 Ghz band I have achieved over 200 Mb/sec even though the RT-N56U tops out at 300 Mb/sec.  The best I could do at 2.4 Ghz was bout 50-60 Mb /sec.    Your ASUS likely could tops out higher than that with the right location as it's even better on wireless.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I agree it does seem silly! However I was told specifically that I HAD to have this particular modem in order to receive the Ulitmate 150/10 internet package. Trust me, if Rogers had a stand alone modem that worked on my package, I surely would have purchased it instead as I already have a great Asus Wireless Router. I also only paid $149 for it even though the website said $249. I even mentioned it to the guy in the store because I thought I was getting the wrong modem. So either there was a sale just before Xmas or the price is not right on the website.

I even had high hopes that maybe the WiFi from the modem was going to be sufficient for my needs so it wasn't my original intention to run it in bridge mode. Indeed the WiFi on the CGN3 is phenomenally craptastic so my options were as you say to either bridge it or disable WiFi and just use my Asus as a relocated AP but honestly, the Asus gets more than enough signal throughout my house (wirelessly streaming 1080p video to second floor). Setting up my router as an AP would have been more work for only a slight payoff and would have had to use up 2 hardwired cables to get to and from the relocated router in order to feed the 16 port switch. Bridging the modem just takes one less thing out of the equation in case of problems. I'm even unsure if the routing capabilities of the CGN3 are good. Along with the WiFi troubles, I was also having random network disconnects on hardwired machines.