New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/modems

It appears to be another Hitron gateway.

Has anyone switched to this new gateway?
It also has a higher monthly rental cost.

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

I saw that one when I was down at the Rogers building in T.O. This week... So that's what it is.

Someone brought up some FCC or similar page a month ago that Rogers was testing a new Hitron device. This one seems to match it.

Now, this one at least from the looks has high gain antennas in it. So they MAY have the potential for better range, we will have to see as people test it.
This one does also have dual band, so the alternative 5.8 ghz range, so if your device supports it, you will have less interference.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

It would be interesting to hear from Rogers on this one or any customers who have tried it. Will it actually live up to its promises or just be another gateway that suffers from poor wifi range and dropped connections?

One thing I can say is that the monthly rental charge of $12 per month is absolutely ridiculous, considering that Rogers once provided a modem free of charge! It is interesting to see the history of modem rentals from Rogers! First they were free, then $4 per month, increasing to $7-8 per month and now $12 per month!

I'm a Trusted Contributor

So, I just exchanged my Cisco DPC3825 gor the new Hitron CGN3. First impression is good. Left it in gateway mode. So far, wireless on both bands has been fine. This gateway has very nice and intuitive web-interface. Very easy to navigate. Gateway also has 2 USB ports which coudl be used to share NAS, but I am trying to find out if it is possible to share a printer.

News flash: port forwarding seems to be working fine on this gateway as well as the wireless. If I find a way to share a printer on this gateway it will satisfy all my needs.

So far it has 9 channels down and 3 channels up....which is a bit strange, cause my Cosco DPC3825 had 4 upstream channels...

Other than that the gateway seems to make very nice first impression. Keep on testing.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Keep us up to date tedd13 Smiley Happy

Port forwarding is good, since the other Hitron seems to have broke that.
Nice that the USB is ON as well.

Big test will be with wireless overall. If you are able to test ranges/distances it would be great Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, USB ports seem to be disabled... There are no settings for them in web interface and nothing happens when I connect something to them. Tried a printer, external hard drive and USB stick. Could not see or access anything. Apart from that - no complaints so far.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Betting they are turned off under the SUPERADMIN login Smiley Sad

So far (4 days) with Hitron CGN3 in gateway mode I hadn't any dropped connection on wireless. Yesterday, I streamed a 1080P movie on 5 Mhz band without a single problem. So I am starting to believe that wireless on CGN3 is actually solid and working as expected.

After checking with US Hitron support I can confirm that CGN3 does not support printer sharing via its USB ports. CGN3 designed to share USB sticks over Samba protocol only.

But USB ports are disabled by Rogers firmware anyway.

I'm Here A Lot

"USB ports are disabled by Rogers firmware..." That's too bad Smiley Sad. I was hoping the USB ports worked. That's why I like to own my router - I can be in control of the functions I need.

"advanced"? Hmmm... sounds like more dishonest advertising from Rogers marketing. Imagine buying a new car that is advertised with "Includes A/C" and learning afterwards from the dealer, "Yes, the new model comes with A/C, but you cannot use it - it has been disabled."  

Still waiting for the DOCSIS 3.0 modem-only from Rogers.