cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

edj_01
I Plan to Stick Around

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/modems

It appears to be another Hitron gateway.

Has anyone switched to this new gateway?
It also has a higher monthly rental cost.

***edited labels***

147 REPLIES 147

Re: New Rogers advanced Wi-Fi modem!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I saw that one when I was down at the Rogers building in T.O. This week... So that's what it is.

Someone brought up some FCC or similar page a month ago that Rogers was testing a new Hitron device. This one seems to match it.

Now, this one at least from the looks has high gain antennas in it. So they MAY have the potential for better range, we will have to see as people test it.
This one does also have dual band, so the alternative 5.8 ghz range, so if your device supports it, you will have less interference.

Frazzled
I'm a Reliable Contributor

It would be interesting to hear from Rogers on this one or any customers who have tried it. Will it actually live up to its promises or just be another gateway that suffers from poor wifi range and dropped connections?

One thing I can say is that the monthly rental charge of $12 per month is absolutely ridiculous, considering that Rogers once provided a modem free of charge! It is interesting to see the history of modem rentals from Rogers! First they were free, then $4 per month, increasing to $7-8 per month and now $12 per month!

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

So, I just exchanged my Cisco DPC3825 gor the new Hitron CGN3. First impression is good. Left it in gateway mode. So far, wireless on both bands has been fine. This gateway has very nice and intuitive web-interface. Very easy to navigate. Gateway also has 2 USB ports which coudl be used to share NAS, but I am trying to find out if it is possible to share a printer.

News flash: port forwarding seems to be working fine on this gateway as well as the wireless. If I find a way to share a printer on this gateway it will satisfy all my needs.

So far it has 9 channels down and 3 channels up....which is a bit strange, cause my Cosco DPC3825 had 4 upstream channels...

Other than that the gateway seems to make very nice first impression. Keep on testing.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Keep us up to date tedd13 🙂

Port forwarding is good, since the other Hitron seems to have broke that.
Nice that the USB is ON as well.

Big test will be with wireless overall. If you are able to test ranges/distances it would be great 🙂

TeDD13

Unfortunately, USB ports seem to be disabled... There are no settings for them in web interface and nothing happens when I connect something to them. Tried a printer, external hard drive and USB stick. Could not see or access anything. Apart from that - no complaints so far.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Betting they are turned off under the SUPERADMIN login 😞

TeDD13

So far (4 days) with Hitron CGN3 in gateway mode I hadn't any dropped connection on wireless. Yesterday, I streamed a 1080P movie on 5 Mhz band without a single problem. So I am starting to believe that wireless on CGN3 is actually solid and working as expected.

TeDD13

After checking with US Hitron support I can confirm that CGN3 does not support printer sharing via its USB ports. CGN3 designed to share USB sticks over Samba protocol only.

But USB ports are disabled by Rogers firmware anyway.

"USB ports are disabled by Rogers firmware..." That's too bad Smiley Sad. I was hoping the USB ports worked. That's why I like to own my router - I can be in control of the functions I need.

"advanced"? Hmmm... sounds like more dishonest advertising from Rogers marketing. Imagine buying a new car that is advertised with "Includes A/C" and learning afterwards from the dealer, "Yes, the new model comes with A/C, but you cannot use it - it has been disabled."  

Still waiting for the DOCSIS 3.0 modem-only from Rogers.

Frazzled

I think many of us are waiting (likely to no avail) for a good stand alone D3 modem from Rogers. It seems to me that one of the reasons the gateways are now dominating though is precisely what you have stated - Rogers has total control and will only allow acess to what they want to support. As for their advertising, I ceased beleiving anything they tell us when their claims about the previous gateways turned out to be completely false. The positives about the new gateway, judging by early reviews, is that the range seems to be better and it does not suffer from dropped connections. It will be interesting to hear from anyone using the CGN-3 though as to whether they are bridging it and once again using their own router!

jlannen
I Plan to Stick Around

For those who have this can you confirm it can be set up in bridge mode?   I have the older hitron and was at my inlaws over the weekend and they have this model. I have ultimate and they have extreme plus and the speeds were very close which they should not be so i assume it must be the new hitron as it wasnt that fast last weekend with their old gateway.I am running in bridge mode with an asus rtn66u which greatly extended my wifi range and dont want to give it up!

TeDD13

I have Hitron CGN3 and actually tested the bridged mode last week. The results were surprising and dissappointing. I got much slower speeds and terrible lag when CGN3 was in bridged moide. I tried it with two brand new routers - ASUS RT-N66U and Cisco E4200V2.

On the positive side, CGN3 seems to have stronger and more stable wireless than both of the above mentioned routers. Turned the CGN3 back into gateway mode.

CGN3 has excellent router and wireless components. Some of the drawbacks are the disabled USB ports and, possible messed up port forwarding feature. I am still testing port forwarding.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wonder how well it will preform, with another wireless router, just as an AP? (not bridged mode.. still doing routing, etc)..if it would still have the choke.

jlannen
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the feedback on bridged mode, much appreciated. To set it up in bridge mode did you go to basic functions/gateway function and just disable it?   

TeDD13

@jlannen wrote:

Thanks for the feedback on bridged mode, much appreciated. To set it up in bridge mode did you go to basic functions/gateway function and just disable it?   

Yes, it is that simple. To switch back to gateway mode - hold reset button for 11 seconds.

Gurkamal
I Plan to Stick Around

The wireless function of the CGN3 is awesome. Putting it in bridge wasn't viable for me because it didn't want to connect to my router, but then again, the CGN3's wifi is probably better anyways. One thing I noticed though was that UPnP doesn't work correctly, and it booted me from almost every single battlefield 3 match I joined (on PS3). 

Rogers is of course also making changes on their backend, and I'm not too sure why but my upstream signal is low. Also I've seen many people say that their upstream modulation is 64QAM or the like, but why is mine ATDMA?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101081916@N03/9636464015/

16 bonded downstream channels, thats crazy. 

Wi-fi on this modem is really really good. I get a strong signal everywhere in my house. It did not fix my issues with my internet dropping though :(.

jlannen
I Plan to Stick Around

my results were the same as Tedd13...running ir bridged with my asus RTN66u results in slight slower speeds than when I was using my CGN3?

very odd indeed, I still have the CGN2 so I may continue using it and take the new hitron back..going newer and slower is frustrating.

<script id="overlay_tmpl" type="text/html">// <div id="<%= overlayId %>" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= overlayLeft %>; top: <%= overlayTop %>; width: <%= overlayWidth %>; height: <%= overlayHeight %>"></div> // </script>

TeDD13

This is really odd, indeed. I successfully ran Cisco DPC 3825 in bridged mode without a problem, so if you really intend to use your own router, seems like CGN3 is not an option. Your best bet is either CGN2 or DPC3825.

If only Rogers can give us an option to have Hitron CDA-32372 modem (this is just a dream)

Frazzled

An even bigger dream would be this one!

Topic Stats