New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Hi Peter 🙂

This all on the assumption you have the SMCD3GN (and not the older one)

While alot of the technicians know the CABLE aspects of stuff.. settings, power levels, etc for boxes/modems, etc... alot of them are not really 'computer' people per say, and dont always know most of that aspect of it.

At least currently? No.. personaly i do not beleive it will make a difference at all.

The SMC should be able to provide the speeds for all the plans, except for ultimate, is my understanding. (for the higher download, it needs the 8 down channels, vs the smc only has the 4).

The SMC and the hitron, all have GIGABIT ethernet ports.. so direct out of it, it should be as fast as you can.
Now, i do not know, if when in bridge mode, if it does cut the port back to 10/100.. but that should still be more than adiquite for any package under ultimate (as yours is 75mbps).
From there.. it would be all based on what your ROUTER itself is capable of.  If the WAN port on your maxes at 10/100, thats the most it will pull through from the SMC (but again, should be fine).   As long as your router has gigabit ports, you should be fine.

I do not have my SMC in bridged mode.. just have the wireless off, and use my own router as an access points.  Really it acts like a 4 port switch (with the line from the SMC into one port) and an AP.  With it being gigabit ports, the devices i plug into it, all have gigabit interconnectivity... going from the router, back through the SMC, out another port to another switch, to the other device.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Yes it is that model.   My router is a D-Link DGL-4500 8 channel gaming router, although I don't game very much these days.   All I know is it has a far, far better wireless range for my other appliances than the Rogers one.

It was a technician on the phone that I was complaining to the last time my Internet went down who said the cryptic words, "I detect that the signal could be improved with our latest modem" that set me off on this line of enquiry.

I'll take the "could" as "could or could not" then and stick with what I've got in that case.

Thanks very much 😉

Peter
Toronto, Downtown

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

"GIGABIT ethernet ports"

Does this mean we should be using cat6 cable to get the full benefit?  Also, can we physically see the difference between cat5 and cat6?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont seen how the signal could be improved by a newer modem.   Signal strength comes from the HEAD end.. what is broadcast from the street, etc.. if its weak, its weak, and modem A or B, would pick up that signal as weak.

Its possible maybe it has better error handling, for a weaker signal, etc..

Really.. if GENERALLY your service is consistant/up... and you are getting near your promised speeds..i wouldnt play with it

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jbird wrote:

"GIGABIT ethernet ports"

Does this mean we should be using cat6 cable to get the full benefit?  Also, can we physically see the difference between cat5 and cat6?

Cat5e, can provide gigabit ethernet JUST fine.

Really the only difference between the two, is cat5e has 100mhz bandwidth, and 6 has 200mhz. 

"This includes better insertion loss, near end crosstalk (NEXT), return loss, and equal level far end crosstalk (ELFEXT). These improvements provide a higher signal-to-noise ratio, allowing higher reliability for current applications and higher data rates for future applications." (coppied from another site)

Really what difference will it make for the average home user?  Likely not alot.  Your average device like the gateways, any of your home based routers (even the expensive ones), switches, etc... will likely have just as much of an error rate with cat5e or 6.. you would really have to invest in your higher end $2000+ switches/routers.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Thanks GDkitty 😉

Peter
Toronto, Downtown

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

USB Ports on this modem.

I just got this involved 3 weeks back.

I read googling somewhere on this forum or elsewhere that the USB port is disabled and that calling Rogers tech support and getting a firmware update pushed would enable it, so that I can connect and external Hard disk to it and share that over the wifi network.

When I called, the tech tells me, that the USB port is not for that. That it is for older computers that did not have Ethernet ports, so for those to connect to the modem, they would use the USB port. 

I found that hard to believe, given that this modem is a year old model and who has computers that don't have Ethernet ports and built within last 10 years.

I just want to hear from others if they have been able to use this USB port to connect a hard drive and how did they get that enabled.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Some of the older modems only were that way but I don't think this one can even do it that way.

It's not just a firmware update I believe... It is that it is disabled in the settings, and its one of the settings we don't have access to, only the Rogers admin login has access to.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

And that disabling is what I don't get it.

I called yesterday to ask them if I will see any speed boost by putting it in bridge mode versus using it with the Gateway enabled and he said I might. But then he connected to my modem and told me that my Wireless Security settings were wrong.

I had just named my Wifi Network and added a password and did not change anything from what it came out of the box.

I did not quite get what changing the security mode and Cipher type does from his explanation, but the speedtests after that did improve quite a bit. But the Wifi signal strength ofcourse is weak as before.

One thing I noticed was that I could not get to the logic page in the browser afterwards. It would just spin on the 192.168.0.1 IP even though I can browser internet etc. I had to reboot the modem to get that login page back. So once they access it remotely, it seems to go into a tizzy and you have to reboot it.

I suspect the USB port is disabled just to stop the support calls from people saying I cannot see the hard drive from other devices on the network etc. It has to be a admin rights thing as if you see the manual from Hitron, it is an additional checkbox on the Capability menu that does not show on the Cusadmin login.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When you put it into bridged mode, you can no longer access it via the web portal unless you do a full reset on the device.