New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tasha199
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

You're kidding me right? I really hope not. Because they got a bundle. My mum says the router connects everything now - THE TV AND the phones. Everything so we can't get rid of it, and my parents are to stubborn to cancel and go back to our better router.

This is Rogers for Canada right? The website?

Sigh. I really hope it gets faster. It's fast, but it was WAY faster with a router that wasn't from rogers.

tasha199
I Plan to Stick Around

God I am so angry right now.

We had an awesome router my parents just got. BUT THEY RETURNED IT FOR THIS. >.> Because they got some bundle deal and the router connects everything, the phones and the TV. But what do I notice? On my laptop in my room (router in the basement) and computer is MUCH slower, loading time is not as fast. But it was super fast when we had a non-rogers brand.

Does this router make internet speed faster or slow?

UGH my parents are soooo stubborn they will never get our old router back!

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Sorry to say, but I am not kidding. I am not sure what brand of modem they have - SMC, Cisco, or Hitron - but they are basically the same when it comes to wireless. There is a ton of posts already on these forums - look them up. They do not have to cancel, but what they can do is use their old router, or buy a new router and with the D3 modem being bridged, they can use their own router with the Rogers D3 modem. It is not the ideal solution, but the only one that is feasible with the equipment provided by Rogers. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They may have got a deal on TV and Internet, but they are not connected physicaly, the gateway has nothing to do with the TV or phone.

As new customers these are the only choices. If you/they still have the router from before, they can plug it into the gateway and put it in bridged mode, to get better speed/range on the wireless. This will not effect any other services they have. No need to cancel anything.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Check the reply on the other thread you posted in tasha

tasha199
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the answers. But they returned the router and I doubt I can convince them to get it again. >.> Quick question about poor range - the speed seems the same everywhere, even up in my room. But does being farther away from the router tend to cause problems? And I think they got the newest one, the hitron. Does it slow down the internet?

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Are you sure it was not their older D2 modem that they returned? If they did in fact return the older modem, there is no way now that they could get it back. If they owned a router, it should be theirs. To my knowledge, Rogers has never supplied a stand alone router. And, yes the farther away you get from the gateway modem/router, the weaker the signal. You may also experience disconnects.

tasha199
I Plan to Stick Around

Awh man. The router they had was one they bought themselves, it wasn't a Rogers one. It said it supported both windows and mac. But they returned it for the new Rogers one. So far I haven't experienced any disconnects, but we'll see. It does seem slower, but my dad thinks rogers might still be having issues from out the outage.

I'm bad with tech stuff, my parents more so. If we do need to get another router, can you give step by step instructions on how to connect it?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, we can help with at least general help in how to set up the other router, etc.

tasha199
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks I just checked!People are calling this a gateway and a modum but it is kinda a router too. Hmm.. I dunno if I can convince my parents to get another router. o.O Unless they got it and we got best buy geek sqaud to set it up, my parents won't do it if they don't know how.

Maybe they would buy it if I said...does having everything hooked up to this rogers router (the TV, phones, internet) would all that make it slower? 

Does being upstairs when the router is the basement really make a difference for internet speed?