New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Opened Cisco Connect

Logged on to advance settings

Opened basic setting and disabled gateway.

Reinstalled old router and now everything works fine.

Getting download & upload speeds Rogers had advertised on both computers.

It is definitely a router problem on this unit.

Could connect to the internet prior to this on modem connections 1 & 2.

Connection 2 would not recognize the computer itself & allow access to the web even tho web connections were verified.

Disabled gateway & problem solved. Now it is back to a simple modem using connection 1 only!

Nice piece of equipment but the Router sucks.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Up graded my internet. Had to pickup  Hitron CDE-30364 from rogers store. Went home plugged it in and sparks came out and of course it did not work. Took it back and all they had in stock was a DPC3825.

Is there much difference between the two? The rep at the store said said the dpc was not as good and slower, but when I called rogers the rep there said that they are the same, just different packaging. 

What gives?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not much of a difference.
The Cisco and the CDE-30364 are both 8x downstream and 4x upstream modems. (Compared to the smc is only 4x4 and the cgn3 is 24x8). This can limit the plans in the end but those two are able to get the same.

Only real main difference is that the Hitron is newer release wise. Potentially newer firmware, etc. but generally same specifications.

Not that the people were necessarily lieing or anything. They are just not technically trained (yes even the phone techs) and do t always really know 😞

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I believe the E in CDE signifies EuroDOCSIS. If you look at Hitron-Americas, you can see their modems start with CDA for Americas.

I could be wrong, but that's what I'm seeing: http://www.hitron-americas.com/product-category/modem/
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I find that this equipment reboots randomly, but no logging doesn't allow me to troubleshoot

I've Been Around

I just got this modem as a replacement for an SMC that was a "fabulous example" of the possibility that even Rogers hits "a fluke" every now and then. My connection was amazing and everything worked [five computers, six printers, an iPad] with a range of at least 75 feet. I changed modems, after Rogers spent three years talking me into it and I started with absolutely nothing working. After hours and hours and hours, reworking everything more times than I can count, changing the placement of printers and computers I have now confirmed the range on this piece of junk is about 8 feet because beyond that distance it continuously drops the connection. I lost my homegroup and I had to go back to factory settings and reload about 20 pieces of software. My wireless printers could not find the modem for the longest time but as soon as I put them right beside the modem [within 18 inches] they found it although not in every case with every computer. I have yet to be able to set up my homegroup but should I decide to "fix" the modem that will address that issue. Apparently, Rogers has issues with alterations [design changes] of their modems. Rogers lied telling me this is a better modem but I am going to set up a repeater and hopefully that solves the range problem. As to the iPad and airprint I am tempted to let my friend, a computer design engineer, reconfigure the modem so that it actually works the way I was told it did! Rogers is a prime example of lies, da-n lies, and statistics. It has become obvious Rogers has too many customerscould care less and needs some of us to go elsewhere! I may just oblige if I can't correct this paper weight!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, just about ANY gateway modem, with rogers, or many other company (as many like bell, etc use much the same sort of thing)... well.. just suck, as you found out, espeically for the wireless range.

Your best bet?  Put it into bridged mode... this efectively turns it into a modem only.. and plug in a GOOD 3rd party wireless router... this would give you better range period, than any of the gateway choices.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

we have tried two of these so far and two of the cisco   we still get weak signals and no connection  why would they charge you for a product that doesnt work .   We get a different excuse every time i talk to a tech or go into the store, getting really tried of this .     PLEASE JUST FIX THE PROBLEM WITH THE MODEMS

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

if you are talking about wireless signal, etc.. there is not much they can 'fix' its how the unit is built.. it just doesnt reach far enough.

not every router, is built the same.
My previous dual band linksys e2500 was much farther range than the SMC gateway... but the new ASUS R66u is even farther.  Can all depend on how the antennas, etc are built in the unit.

Truthfully? Unless you have a small bungalow or are in a like 3 room apartment.. the wireless is likely not enough range.
You can always suplemnent with your own 3rd party router for the range.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I just had the new modem switched with there old one when I added Home Phone. The new one as everyone probably knows is either 2.5 or 5 gb speed. When I select my 5G network the speed is extremely slow or freezes. When I connect to the 2.5 G network the speed is back either just as fast as the previous modem or very close ( can't tell much difference) not sure if it is only my modem or not. I have not seen any other post in this forum yet about it. To be fare I looked here first before contacting Rogers about it. They will be next after posting this. If anyone has has this problem resolved please post.