cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Though only available in selected markets right now, it appears that Rogers is introducing a new modem - the Hitron CDE-30364.

Hitron Modem

This is yet another gateway modem. Will be interesting to hear reactions from those who get it. Will it be another gateway with poor wireless range and dropped connections or will it be an improvement over the SMC and CISCO gateways? And why will Rogers not give customers what they want - a decent stand alone D3 modem?

***edited labels***

291 REPLIES 291

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Rgl.

Yeah, all if the gateways, tent to have a number of issue like you have described above, as well as often suffer from poorer wireless range.

If you so desired, you could switch the Hitron to bridged mode, effectively turning it into just a modem an use your own router, as before, which may allow you the more flexibility and settings security and DNs wise

rgl168
I Plan to Stick Around

Well today I logged onto the modem, and found that the status now shows the Google DNS values properly.  Also unlike the previous day, the wireless security settings are placed on a separate tab rather than being part of the first screen.  So it looks like it picked up a new firmware sometime yesterday.

Blokie
I've Been Around
Hi there, I'm having problems with my daughters new hitron modem, she moved into her new house and Rogers installed her new modem the hitron cde-30364. Prior to that she was on my network which used the smc modem. Her pc worked when she left, now I can't get the browser ( Firefox or IE ) to work. The modem works wirelessly I have used COD wirelessly and it works fine. My phone works fine, also her iPad. According to the pc, the network connection is fine also. Strange thing is, if I fire up Utorrent, it will carry on downloading. It seems like port 80 is blocked, tried turning firewall on and off, that didn't work.
Has anyone any suggestions before I spend a few hours on e phone with tech support.

Thanks in advance.
Chris

VJLl555
I've Been Around
I also am having problems with new modem hitron cde-30364. Everything is working fine with wireless devices ie iPad,iPhone,and laptop. However my desktop Dell computer's Internet is too slow, taking more than 5 mins to load a page, and even then not all the images appear on the page. I was told by Rogers to update my XP by visiting and downloading the XP tool from a website. But my net is so slow it won't allow me. I was also told if I purchase Windows 8 this will solve my problem. But speaking to an IT friend of mine he said that might not fix the problem. Before I waste my money on Windows 8, is there any other issue it may be? My desktop was working fine the days before the new modem and there were no viruses.

COULD be botched network ports on the hitron.

have you tried replacing the cable between the hitron and the PC? and try changing ports on it as well.

Kdubovik
I Plan to Stick Around

I think this modem looks like a conference call appliance on my desk lmao

The lights face me too so I feel like I should push them like buttons.

@VJL1555:

upgrading to Windows 8 is definitely an option.  But have you considered upgrading to Windows 7?  You will be able to find Windows 7 upgrades out there for reasonable prices.  I have been running Windows 7 for about two years now, and am quite happy with it.

But do make sure that you have the hardware resources on your computer to run the newer Windows releases, including processor, memory and disk space.  Anecdotally, it is well-known that the longer one runs Windows on a computer, the slower it becomes.  Perhaps, all you need to do is a fresh install of your Windows XP.

Windows XP is quite a different experience from any later Microsoft version of Windows, such as Vista, Windows 7, etc.  Personally, I have used, and then upgraded from, Windows Vista on my current laptop.  I found Windows 7 to be much better than Vista.  Windows 7 uses fewer resources, disk space, etc. than Vista.  It is clear to me that Microsoft has been making major changes to Windows since the release of XP.  Vista was an attempt at sigificant "improvements".  Windows 7 was a definite improvement over Vista, and incorporated much that was learned from the Vista experiences.

It seems that every second Microsoft Windows release is a good one.  XP has definitely been good, as has Windows 7.  Vista I am not so sure about.  That gives me concerns about Windows 8.

So, if you need to upgrade Windows, do consider Windows 7.

skinorth

MPoitras
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, I have a question for you. I'll try to explain what is happening. We recently made the switch to the Hitron. We have two laptops in our house and two iPhones. I also regulary bring my work laptop (a Mac) at home. While I barely had any problems in the past, since installing the Hitron, connection has bothersome. I know Rogers has been having some problems in this area, so I'll chalk that up to coincidence. However, over the past two weeks, every  single time I bring my work computer home, I lose connection both on my personal computer and the work computer. My daughter's computer and our two iPhones continue to be connected. I think it may be some kind of ip conflict but I can't figure it out. I read through this forum and haven't been able to find anything. I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar problem or could point me out in some direction? Thanks! 

While its POSSIBLE its an IP problem.. i am more inclined to think not.
If everything is set to DHCP to auto grab, there is an abundance of adresses, its not like it should be giveing out multiples, etc.

without seeing more details on your network (the ip's at the time, etc).. its hard to say.

I am more inclined, to think its the poorer wireless, on the hitron (and ALL gateways modems).  It may just be having a cow, that there are x many devices on, and and its trying to do too much.. and is droping some (the others may stay on, if say they were the FIRST to connect?).

As with most other 'fixes' for this.. most people are tending to use their own wireless router for the wireless instead, and using the hitron just as a modem.. as the wireless on the 3rd party routers are MUCH more robust, and handle the traffic much better, as well as having better range, etc.

(and yes, this SHOULD be un-necessary.. since we are getting a gateway, for the purpose THAT it has all that built in.. it tends to be the best way to get results)

MPoitras
I've Been Here Awhile

thank you GdKitty. True, I didn't give you much information. Everything is indeed set up DHCP-auto. The thing that is REALLY baffling is that I DID put the Hitron in bridge mode and plugged in a stand-alone router (LinkSys). Guess what? Everything worked fine (2 personal laptops, 2 iPhones), until I fired up my work laptop (the Mac). Then, bang, same problem... Anyways, it's confusing and frustrating, especially since everything always worked fine pre-Hitron. My solution will be to leave work, at work. 😉 Thanks again. 

Huh.. that does sound odd...

THat it does work the same.. with it in bridged mode.. sounds like the MAC may be the culprit.. WHAT.. i dont know 😞

Real test i guess would be, try someone elses say laptop, a different computer, and try adding it to the mix, and see if it happen as well.

the reason they want you to hard wire is to find out if the problem is with the connection or if its simply interference because that can deffinatly happin, my babys video moniter when on drops our connections speed thruout the whole house from 30 mbps to just under 2 mbps. so as u can see their is many variables, they have to start of wired to diagnose properly. and as far as you saying that they wont tell you that the reuter part of the boxes are garbage but they acctually do, ive had a couplerogers ppl tell me over the phone that u could never hope to get speeds over 20mbps via wireless bcuz all rogers older cable modems can only push that much.....I have a HITRON from rogers now....they suck on signal strength but as far as the speed it carrys i can get 60-70 mbps wirelessly which is more then enough speed.....if u are expperiencing weak signal u can try a repeater or two in your house.    darren J

Your actualy BRILLIANT!

I always wondered why my front bedroom always had poorer wireless than my master, even though they are the same distance from the wireless router.
The front bedroom is closer to my sons room, with the baby monitor.. I am pretty DERP for not thinking that it would be using a wireless frequency, and could be interfearing.

sarfpak
I've Been Around

I am having the same issue of devices keep disconnecting or unavailable network. I have lost hope of having it fixed since its been a year suffering with these issues and having the latest and greatest HITRON. Irony is to see these topics on Rogers own forum and having them not reacting means they don't care on customer satisfaction and rather they spend money on those adds to get new customers. Why should i spend money on another router and pay every month extra for that bogus box to use it in Bridge mode?

I am waiting for the day my contract ends and switch all my services to the other service provider.

@sarfpak wrote:

I am having the same issue of devices keep disconnecting or unavailable network. I have lost hope of having it fixed since its been a year suffering with these issues and having the latest and greatest HITRON. Irony is to see these topics on Rogers own forum and having them not reacting means they don't care on customer satisfaction and rather they spend money on those adds to get new customers. Why should i spend money on another router and pay every month extra for that bogus box to use it in Bridge mode?

I am waiting for the day my contract ends and switch all my services to the other service provider.

Just make sure to check with the other providers.  Many of the 3rd party ones allow a stand alone modem, but some of the biger ones, the ONLY option now, are gatways as well (which is very sad.. they are all aful across the board)

@JaclynJackson:

you posted that: "...the reason they  want you to hard wire is to find out if the problem is with the connection or if its simply interference because that can deffinatly happin, my babys video moniter when on drops our connections speed thruout the whole house from 30 mbps to just under 2 mbps...".

You are right on the money!  As you point out, there are many variables.  Hardwiring your connection using an ethernet cable eliminates possible WiFi interference from the equation.  The following URL points to a report on WiFi performance as influenced by different types of interference, including other WiFi signals, video, microwave ovens, etc.  This report is now older, (dating from 2007) but it illustrates the effect of various types of radio signals commonly used on the 2.4 GHz frequency band which is used by WiFi as well.

http://media.techtarget.com/searchNetworking/downloads/Effects_of_Interference_on_General_WLAN_Traff...

This report is quite technical, but definitely worth reading, if you can take the time, and make the effort.  Their conclusions are quite informative, and probably alarming.  For example  "...Also surprising was the degree of interference between the two Wi-Fi systems. One network reduced the throughput of the other by 75%, while its own throughput was reduced by 90%...".

The moral of the story is that there are lots of 2.4 GHz radio signals out there that can and will interfere with our WiFi signals.  This makes it all the more important that we select only WiFi equipment which will withstand the effects of that interference.  Clearly Rogers is not doing this in their selection process for WiFi-capable equipment which they provide to their customers.

Another reference about this is from Cisco:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps9391/ps9393/ps9394/prod_white_paper0900aecd807...

This web page gives further warnings regarding the uncertainty of our WiFi communications.

Thus, the rule is that you need to bridge the Hitron or Cisco device you get from Rogers, and then add a router known to have good WiFi performance.

In addition, doing a periodic site survey perhaps every six months to determine what other WiFi channels are being used close to you is definitely a good practice.  In that way you can find a clear and available channel for your WiFi and hence minimize interference and maximize throughput.

This is particularly important if you are using the WiFi equipment being provided by Rogers.

skinorth

Msimon
I've Been Here Awhile
Loved the article on interference caused by common devices affecting wireless connectivity and throughput. Thanks for sharing...

Jazidup
I've Been Here Awhile
how do you change wireless channels? i'm a noob

wowsers53
I Plan to Stick Around

You type in 192.168.0.1, then click on wireless, then channel and chose from the dropdown list.

tanmac2000
I've Been Around

We got this modem last fall maybe. for our residential service  I work from home upon occassion with a hardphone and hardware VPN.  I use this gateway in bridge mode with sidecar router and have not had any issues maintaining a good connection with little jitter or latency.  Can not speak to how successful it is as a true gateway but works great bridged.

Jazidup
I've Been Here Awhile

PLEASE HELP!!  

I've wasted days attempting to increase the range of this Hitron Modem.  

First buying a D-link wireless range extender.....useless.

Then exchanging it for a Linksys dual-band Wireless Router....again useless (we did not get full wifi in our bedroom - same floor 40 ft from hitron)

Now I've attempted to set-up an airport express and it says nothing is connected to WAN port and detects no device unless the LAN ports are connected.

I'm at complete loss as I'm sure there has to be a simple solution

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?