New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

there really isnt a BEST channel.. its all based on whats around you, what other interfearance, what other wifi is in the area using other channels, etc.

most other routers often default to 1 or 6, so taking 11, puts you hopefuly as far away from the others as possible.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Just picked one up last week and honestly compared to the Linksys wifi router I had hooked up prior, the Hitron is subpar. I am now seeing a lot more buffering on videos than I am used to, and every 2 out of 3 online games I play on my PS3 are lost due to loss of connectivity to the internet; mind you, my PS3 is just down the hallway. When I search for a wifi signal, my tenant's internet is ranked higher than mine -_- .Having said that, I am going to try to set up my Linksys router and see if that fixes the problem at all....If not, I'm going to give Rogers a call. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ManjotB,

If you read through this thread (and others) you will find, the same conclusions about the hitron (and the other gateways) 😞

Flip it to bridged mode, and put your old router back in place,  you should be just fine, the majority of people that go back to this are ok afterwards. (it just sucks that we HAVE to do this :P)

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

For any of the users that put the Hitron in bridge mode themselves, can you specify exactly what you did, to do this?

I just unselected the gateway mode option, & still not sure if this is the only thing I need to do.  As I mentioned earlier in this thread, with the Hitron in bridge mode & using my new Linksys EA4500, I was basically having to reset them daily as I kept losing internet connection.  Most of the items were on wifi but the one connected PC seemed to lose the connection as well.

I have since wired most of the items, but I still seem to be losing internet connection basically daily & needing to reset both components.  Have tried resetting just one device or the other to try & isolate the issue but this doesn't seem to work.  I origionally thought it was a Hitron issue as the network still seemed to work, just no internet.  But I got fed up & finally put my old WRT54G back in.  After the first day, I needed to reset them again but its been a couple more & so far seem to still be working (will need more time to know for sure).

Is it possible that the new EA4500 is actually the issue (being the network still seems to work but the internet connection is dropping)?  We lost power for a couple hours a week back & the EA4500 must have reset, as I had to re input all the wireless setup, so maybe its defective?

Highlighted
I've Been Around

any ideas why I keep dropping connection to XBL while hardwired to the hitron.  This happened for a while when I first got it then seemed to go away.  I just got setup again today after a move and it is now happening again.  Using CAT6 cable and the xbox IP is in the DMZ.  No port forwarding or MAC filtering as of now.  2 phones and one printer connected to wifi. Not bridged.  I expected to drop wifi connections with this modem but that seems to not happen.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is there any usage going on (specifically wifi) when these dropouts are?

I know on some of the others, when wifi was going on could completely drop all connectivity on the whole device.

I am using the smc, in a similar setup (I just have a router for my laptops wifi as a access point) but the Xbox connected via cable right into the smc, and my xbl seems to run fine and its not even in the dmz and no forwarding.

Sounds like something is tripping the disconnects

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

As a follow up, looks like no luck with the other router either.  Its doing the same with me having to reset the Hitron & my router daily.  So either the Hitron is defective or some other setting is not correct when using the Hitron in bridge mode.  My next plan was use the Hitron non bridged, to see if it still drops out.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm. Worth a shot. See if it does the drop.
One thing you can do then if its stable, is just disable the wireless on it, and use one of your other modems as just an access point (it just does wireless, but not dhcp, etc)
Feel free to contact me via pm if you need help in this setup

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yesterday I upgraded my Internet package and I was forced to upgrade the modem as well (from the little SciAtl box + my own router to Hitron).

I use Google DNS for my router, so first, I configured the Hitron to use the two Google DNS address.  However the Hitron rebooted the status still shows the DNS being 64.71.x.x (Rogers DNS).  When I went back to the Hitron router screen to change the DNS setting again, but upon saving the setting an error prompt would show indicating nothing was changed.  Yet on my devices - wired and wireless - all of them are using Google DNS to resolve.  So for some reason, Hitron is using Google DNS as I have specified, but none of the status screen and dialog boxes indicate as such.

There are also some wierd wireless authenication issues.  If I use WPA-Personal + WPA2-PSK + AES, my Galaxy Nexus refuses to authenicate.  Yet when I drops the setting to "TKIP and AES" it connects right away.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rgl.

Yeah, all if the gateways, tent to have a number of issue like you have described above, as well as often suffer from poorer wireless range.

If you so desired, you could switch the Hitron to bridged mode, effectively turning it into just a modem an use your own router, as before, which may allow you the more flexibility and settings security and DNs wise