New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Hello Newbe

Its rare for anyone to get a 3rd party modem to work on Rogers. Rogers does not allow 3rd party modems as they ONLY want you to get what they have. This is a known problem in which many of us do not want.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

This periodic wholesale replacement of modems has never been anything but a scam.  For years I subscribed to Express, with a 60GB usage limit, using a first generation DOCSIS modem.  Then about four years ago I upgraded to Extreme to accomodate the additional usage from my nephew who was staying with me when he went to graduate school,  and I was told then that I needed a new (more expensive)  modem to meet the requirements of Extreme service.  Ok, that seemed to make sense; the  higher speeds and more data volume could have required a more advanced modem.  A couple of years later my nephew was gone and I decided to downgrade back to Express, at which point I was told that the modem I had been using for Extreme would not be suitable and so I would have to trade it in for a newer, yet more expensive modem.  I told them flatly that it made no sense, that any machine capable of moving more data faster was going to be just as capable of moving less data slower.  I was not getting anywhere on the phone but lucked out when I found a young man at the store where I went to exchange it who agreed that it made no sense; and he spent the better part of a half hour trying to figure out how to attach the old modem to my newly changed service, because Rogers had done its very best to discourage its staff from trying.

So fast forward to close to the present, and I was being told AGAIN that if I wanted to take advantage of the 80GB usage cap, I had to trade in for yet ANOTHER, more expensive modem.  At this point I completely blew up at the CSR on the phone, because it was absolutely ridiculous that a modem that was supposed to be able to handle a 90GB cap when used for Extreme, would now be incapable of managing 80GB in the redesigned Express. Oh, I was told, but the Express speeds were now faster and the old modem couldn't manage it.  I don't care about the extra speed, I said, (even if Rogers were capable of delivering it that fast to the modem when experience has taught us that the advertised speeds are a pipedream), all I want is the extra usage, and there is no technical explanation you could come up with for why my current modem could not manage it.  This time I lost the battle, because they wouldn't give in, and I was on a path to spending more in overage charges than the additional cost of the modem, so I gritted my teeth and got it.  I wasn't able to get it working properly without a lengthy call to technical support, which I had NEVER had to do to properly configure my previous routhers, because the instructions they give out are completely inadequate.  And recognizing that it is both a router and a modem and so would have to be larger than either of the two of them separately, did no one think to design it so it would sit upright, so that I would not have had to lose a foot of shelf space to make room for it?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

What I don't get is that TekSavvy, who uses the Rogers Cable network, supports the Motorola SB 6121 standalone D3 modem, but Rogers themselves won't...

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Rogers theory seems to be that customers want the gateway all-in-one device as supposedly it make things simpler. I personally think that it is much more confusing for the average customer when they realize that the gateway does not work as advertised and they suffer from dropped connections and poor range. It is much easier to use a stand alone modem and hook up your router than is is to go through all the garbage you get from Rogers when you realize your gateway is not providing you with very good wireless. The solutions provided by Rogers do not work and generally speaking Rogers will not tell their customers about bridging their gateway modems, which they really should not have to do in the first place.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@IHR wrote:

Rogers theory seems to be that customers want the gateway all-in-one device as supposedly it make things simpler. I personally think that it is much more confusing for the average customer when they realize that the gateway does not work as advertised and they suffer from dropped connections and poor range. It is much easier to use a stand alone modem and hook up your router than is is to go through all the garbage you get from Rogers when you realize your gateway is not providing you with very good wireless. The solutions provided by Rogers do not work and generally speaking Rogers will not tell their customers about bridging their gateway modems, which they really should not have to do in the first place.

I agree.

My biggest problem is that the 'official' responses that I get from Rogers in regards to using a standalone D3 modem, specifically the Motorola SB6121, they inform me that they have tested it and there is technical compatibility issues that currently exist with using it on their network.

However, TekSavvy, an ISP that uses the Rogers Cable network to provide third party internet services, supports the Motorola SB6121 D3 modem for use with no problems... so if Rogers says it is technically incompatible with their network, but TekSavvy allows people to use it and it works no problem... what gives? Rogers is giving false information. That is what frustrates me, I'd rather be straight up told "We want you to use our own equipment because it's more money in our pocket" than giving a false runaround.

And I don't buy the "It's easier for our customers with all-in-one modems" excuse because let's face it: Yeah, you can have those available for the less technically advanced customers, but there is no harm in allowing those who have or want to use their own modem to do so! Don't advertise it, but allow us to do it.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@testuser1010101 wrote:
And I don't buy the "It's easier for our customers with all-in-one modems" excuse because let's face it: Yeah, you can have those available for the less technically advanced customers, but there is no harm in allowing those who have or want to use their own modem to do so! Don't advertise it, but allow us to do it.

Therein lies the rub. If the gateways worked as advertised, all would be well. The problem is that they don't.  When they cannot get decent WIFI, they call Rogers. First, they are told to reboot the modem. Then they are told to try a direct connection if using wireless. (But Mr. Rogers, it is the wireless connection that I am concerned about.) Then they might be told to take the modem in and exchange it. At no time does a Rogers agent actually explain to the customer that the wireless component of the gateway is not very good and that the customer might need to have the modem placed in bridge mode and then have their own router hooked up. This would be admitting that their equipment is inferior and no way does Rogers want to do that. So in the end, what was supposed to make things easier for the customer has actually made things more difficult. By going on-line or talking to others, they may discover how to bridge the modem and use their own router. And of course they realize that they are now paying an extra $3 or $4 more per month for a modem that does not work properly.

Rogers knows the issues with these modems. They have certainly received enough complaints. Whether they will take some steps in 2013 to rectify the situation certainly remains to be seen!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello

I have the Hitron CDE-30364 router/modem and i would like to do 2 things. Monitor the data usage on each port and throttle the speed on them. Is that possible with this router/modem? What others ways there are? 

Can't do it on PCs

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@toommiikah:

no and no.

This could be done if you use an external router connected to the Hitron which supports firmware which has these functions built in.  One example would be a router which supports third-party firmware "Tomato", which you can find if you Google on it.  I know Tomato will allow you  to monitor data usage on each port, as well as allowing the use of QoS.  See:

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

I have used the former, but not the latter function with Tomato on a Linksys WRT54G router.

skinorth

I've Been Around

DO NOT GET THIS HITRON MODEM/ROUTER!!!!!!!!

This not a router for anyone who uses wireless. I had one for a week and found its wireless capablies very poor. So if you have phones, ipods, laptops or printers you want to use do not get this Hitron. Connect directly to the desktop there was no problem and I assume if you connect all your items with a cord it would work. Wireless I got 10 to 15 feet only!!!

SO I TOOK IT BACK TO ROGERS!!!!!!

They had another type - Cisco DPC3825 - which they gave me. It works and has both the modem and router as well. I would prefer just a modem but the staff said they no longer issue these - too bad. The Cisco does a similar job as my very old router so I am reasonable happy. I was hoping for a stronger signal so I could be anywhere in the house and get at least 2 bars!

If Rogers is listening - I would like a modem only from them so I could go and buy the best router for my situation!!

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Many customers would like a stand alone D3 modem. All of the gateways suffer from poor wireless range and dropped connections. Rogers does not care. They carry on in their merry way without really giving a hoot about what the customer wants. With Rogers, it is their way or the highway!